Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2005, 02:03 AM   #1
frusciante fan
CF Newbie

new paint job

my car, 1992 buick regal custom, needs to be repainted. there are spots underneath all four fenders chipping as well as spots all over the car. there is no rust and it is in excellent shape on the underside and only has 93,000 miles. i will be going to college in the fall of '06 and will not be able to afford a new car, especialy since i just finished paying for this one. i got a couple estimates. one was $1200 and the other $1600 so i'm figuring about $1500. currently the car is white with the lower 1/3 being silver. however i'm thinking about being badass and doing something different. i'd like the have the entire body painted white, and have two smaller or one large stripe going down the center, the stripe being red, black, or blue. so my question is how much extra if at all would the stripes be?
frusciante fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frusciante fan
my car, 1992 buick regal custom, needs to be repainted. there are spots underneath all four fenders chipping as well as spots all over the car. there is no rust and it is in excellent shape on the underside and only has 93,000 miles. i will be going to college in the fall of '06 and will not be able to afford a new car, especialy since i just finished paying for this one. i got a couple estimates. one was $1200 and the other $1600 so i'm figuring about $1500. currently the car is white with the lower 1/3 being silver. however i'm thinking about being badass and doing something different. i'd like the have the entire body painted white, and have two smaller or one large stripe going down the center, the stripe being red, black, or blue. so my question is how much extra if at all would the stripes be?

You could buy the stripes and put them on yourself easily. Hell, you could paint it easily too if you had a spray gun, a room, goggles, face mask, tape, and some paper.

EDIT: And paint
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:20 AM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well red wine and grape juice stain, could you use that and just like stain/dye the car?

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:23 AM   #4
frusciante fan
CF Newbie

would the stripes be decals though or painted. which is cheaper/better?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
would the stripes be decals though or painted. which is cheaper/better?
Well the ones he was talking about would be decals. Painting them on MIGHT be a little cheaper (gotta remember cost for paint though) but theres a chance you could mess up, but with decals you can probably find the exact design/colour you'd want. The decals would be worth the money (take them off if you change your mind) and they'd be easier to put on.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:30 AM   #6
frusciante fan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Well the ones he was talking about would be decals. Painting them on MIGHT be a little cheaper (gotta remember cost for paint though) but theres a chance you could mess up, but with decals you can probably find the exact design/colour you'd want. The decals would be worth the money (take them off if you change your mind) and they'd be easier to put on.

i think i would be more comfortable just having them painted on the same time as the rest of the car. i have no experience with cars whatsoever so i'd stay away from painting...
Old 06-08-2005, 03:32 AM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
i think i would be more comfortable just having them painted on the same time as the rest of the car. i have no experience with cars whatsoever so i'd stay away from painting...
Oh, so your getting it painted by someone else, didnt know that. Really its up to you though, do you want it so you can always take the stripe(s) off if you change your mind sometime down the road. I think having them professionally painted on would cost more then buying the decals and putting them on.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 AM   #8
frusciante fan
CF Newbie

so yeah i'll have to check out more estimates but i'll either buy the decals and have them put on or have them painted. hopefully i can keep the whole thing under $1500 either way...
Old 06-08-2005, 03:52 AM   #9
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Sounds good, i think you can do it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 06-08-2005, 04:02 AM   #10
frusciante fan
CF Newbie

thanks. i haven't saved the money yet as i just finished paying off the car but i'll have the money in two months. hopefully all will go well.