Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2005, 02:46 AM   #1
ciVicman
CF Newbie

Subwoofer Question

I have personally never heard of this brand of subwoofers. They are called Volfenhag. I was planning on getting the 12" 1200Watt ones.

check them out.

http://www.wooferstation.com/car/woofers/volfenhag.htm
ciVicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:10 AM   #2
Juhosaphat
CF Newbie

They look really familiar. I'd check for a warranty on them, and if it's good enough, get them

1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme = 231 cu.in. Buick V-6 Stock hp: 110 Current hp: 120-130 Est e.t.: 17-18

1993 BMW 325 is = 200ish straight 6 Stock hp: 189 Current hp: 230-240 Est e.t.: 12-13

Looking for hp gains on both, aftermarket body parts for the BMW. Hit me up if you got anything and maybe we can work something out.
Juhosaphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:29 AM   #3
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

thunderbird swears by them. Personally never heard 'em.

Do not confuse the 1200 Watt Max power rating with the 400 watt RMS power rating. Do no throw 1200 watts RMS at that sub, or you will cook it in a few minutes.

most important spec you might want to look at before purchase:
Freq. resp.: 27Hz - 3KHz

for a 12" sub, thats not a great low end...for comparison of other subs in the same price range:

Kicker CompVR 12" Dual 4Ohm coils: 25Hz - 500Hz
Infinity 12" Dual 2Ohm coils: 18Hz - 250Hz
Pioneer Premier 12" Dual 2Ohm coils: 18Hz - 2000Hz

For shits n giggles: Pioneer Premier Shallow Mount 12": 18Hz - 1000 Hz

Trust me, even 2Hz to the kicker, and anything below that, will make a world of difference in music(i guess it kind of depends on what kind of music you listen to also...), but with a deeper low end, theres less chance of the sub bottoming out on you.

And don't worry to much about the top end, you really shouldn't expect the sub to be going higher then 125hz(depending on where you have your filter set)
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

i have this subwoofer, it pounds OK for a 12, its pretty good, its defintely not shitty, but personally i dont think its enough.
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciVicman
I have personally never heard of this brand of subwoofers. They are called Volfenhag. I was planning on getting the 12" 1200Watt ones.

check them out.

http://www.wooferstation.com/car/woofers/volfenhag.htm

It's the best sub I've ever come across that's under $100. PErsonally I had two 15" DVC's at one time and they sounded excellent.

As to what dodge said about freq. response...
Every company lies about that... The 12" Volf will do 18hz just like 12" Comp VR...It will move but you cant hear anything (human hearing drops off at 20hz). If you want low end, build a big box. If you just want to get loud (which i dont recommend these subs personally on just getting 'loud') you build a smaller box and send it more power.

If all you want to do is get loud and care nothing about sound quality by all means get some Comps or Comp VRs. But if you care about a little clarity for little price, nothing is better than the Volf DVC Aluminum.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
It's the best sub I've ever come across that's under $100. PErsonally I had two 15" DVC's at one time and they sounded excellent.

As to what dodge said about freq. response...
Every company lies about that... The 12" Volf will do 18hz just like 12" Comp VR...It will move but you cant hear anything (human hearing drops off at 20hz). If you want low end, build a big box. If you just want to get loud (which i dont recommend these subs personally on just getting 'loud') you build a smaller box and send it more power.

If all you want to do is get loud and care nothing about sound quality by all means get some Comps or Comp VRs. But if you care about a little clarity for little price, nothing is better than the Volf DVC Aluminum.

again, i still need to hear these damned volfs lol - i love the pioneer subs, even their slim mount sounds pretty amazing.

and i have hearing below 20....down to 18 actually....and a way-up high range...cant remember the number...and thats from when i had my hearing tested last year(after my third ear infection)
Old 08-18-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
Mx3Kid
CF Newbie

I'd get 1 of these
I have 2 of them in my trunk right now and thier insanely loud. but if yer lookin to buy car audio dont go cheap, because usualy u get what u pay for(cheap = sh*t). all i gotta say is Do it big
Old 08-19-2005, 07:49 AM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3Kid
I'd get 1 of these
I have 2 of them in my trunk right now and thier insanely loud. but if yer lookin to buy car audio dont go cheap, because usualy u get what u pay for(cheap = sh*t). all i gotta say is Do it big

SPL = Power Ackoustik = Zero clarity

They get loud alright, but might as well buy an audiobahn if all you want to do is get loud.

~Blow your mind~

Old 08-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #9
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

thunder are the 05 type r's good for their price? are their 12's better than the volfenhag 12's?
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
Mx3Kid
CF Newbie

Quote:
SPL = Power Ackoustik = Zero clarity

They get loud alright, but might as well buy an audiobahn if all you want to do is get loud.

Psh Audiobahn , get the aluminum ones if any because the other ones sound like crap. thunderbird u got anything bad to say about a Kicker SoloX?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:53 PM   #11
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Psh Audiobahn , get the aluminum ones if any because the other ones sound like crap. thunderbird u got anything bad to say about a Kicker SoloX?

hehehe...he generally has something bad to say about any widely available(in-store) brands...
Old 08-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem
thunder are the 05 type r's good for their price? are their 12's better than the volfenhag 12's?

Yes, the 05 Type R's are loads better than the previous Type R's. The Type-R is the next step up from a Volfenhag DVC (sounds better, gets a little louder but costs twice as much). A Volfenhag DVC would compare well with a previous gen Type-R though...little better woofer IMO.

~Blow your mind~

Old 08-19-2005, 08:18 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

The Audiobahn ALUMS are quite possibly the worst sounding SQ subs that is meant to be a SQ sub out on the market. Not to mention (like all other Audiobahns) they are widely overrated in power. Yeah, go ahead and feed an ALUM with it's recommended RMS of 1100rms.... I'm not talking from an Audiobahn amp either. KABOOM.

The SOLO X does what it's designed to do, get REALLY F'in loud. It's another one of those pure SPL subs, but even a more extreme one than most. I wouldnt ever buy one consider they are known to have the typical square cone Kicker problems and there is much better stuff on the market for their price (IE, Resonant Engineering MT). The Solo X is not a very good daily driving sub, it's meant to be fed with thousands of watts in short burps to get as loud as possible in competitions.

www.reaudio.com

Click products, then subs. There you will find the MT.

~Blow your mind~

Old 08-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
hehehe...he generally has something bad to say about any widely available(in-store) brands...
I've yet to come across a decent subwoofer in a Circuit City or Best Buy. Until recently Best Buy didnt carry one worthwhile sub until they started carrying Alpine which now means they have good amps and at least one good subwoofer (although you have to shell out $220 for one 12" Type-R then pay tax on top of that).

The only decent sub I've come across in a Circuit City was a Polk MOMO 12" I heard. In the Polk box fed with 300rms it was really tight and accurate bass. Didnt get too loud though.

~Blow your mind~

Old 08-19-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
Accord_Man
CF Addict

Quote:
I've yet to come across a decent subwoofer in a Circuit City or Best Buy. Until recently Best Buy didnt carry one worthwhile sub until they started carrying Alpine which now means they have good amps and at least one good subwoofer (although you have to shell out $220 for one 12" Type-R then pay tax on top of that).

The only decent sub I've come across in a Circuit City was a Polk MOMO 12" I heard. In the Polk box fed with 300rms it was really tight and accurate bass. Didnt get too loud though.
thunder, you know how im getting the two DD3512s with the hifonics BX2005. I was wondering if it would be ok to run one of those amps to each sub (4000 watts total) just for competition. I thought it would be ok since each can handle 3000 so 2000 to each shouldn't hurt them. But when I'm just listening to music I would take out one amp to give it RMS power. What do you think.

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote