Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
4g63
CF Newbie

y do people get the gen3 eclipses

mitsu made a mistake with that one... ppl r getting pretty fast in em.. but its a disgrace lolz... i prefer gen1 or gen2.. or maybe the new 06 eclipse =D ... 95 gen2 eagle talon... best of both worlds =) jus needs some minor things... like 1g ported throttle body and stuff la
4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g63
mitsu made a mistake with that one... ppl r getting pretty fast in em.. but its a disgrace lolz... i prefer gen1 or gen2.. or maybe the new 06 eclipse =D ... 95 gen2 eagle talon... best of both worlds =) jus needs some minor things... like 1g ported throttle body and stuff la

Your posts are very irritating, let's spend a little time on punctuation and proper grammar.

But, I have no idea why anybody would buy a 3G or 4G Eclipse. Disgrace to the Eclipse heritage IMO.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
4g63
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
Your posts are very irritating, let's spend a little time on punctuation and proper grammar.

But, I have no idea why anybody would buy a 3G or 4G Eclipse. Disgrace to the Eclipse heritage IMO.

the 06/4g eclipse is ****in nice as shit... the 2.8liter gt v6 pulls around 263hp(all motor) and more aerodynamic than 3g(of course) and it resembles the 2g and 1g eclipse... on another note i was talking with one of the ppl that work for mitsu(came to my friends restraunt) and he sed that they were going to put like $2000 head lights and tail lights in.. but it was jus not cost effective....lolz ppl can jus steal them all the time and a bitch to replace... but it still has the lense infront of the led looking lite... =P
that mother ****er drove the 06 eclipse a month b4 release date... damm him LOL i touched it =)

ps: srry bout my grammer.. i get jumbled from my mild a.d.d. >.<
Old 06-08-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
Bino
Written Off

It's a 3.8L V6, it makes barely more power than the turbo 4G63 (which they could have easily pulled from the EVO parts bin), is nearly twice the displacement, is still only FWD and the front end looks like a Galant... which I think makes the car look like crap. I like the roofline though. If they fix the front end... and the rear end for that matter, and gave it AWD, I'm OK with all motor. But the Eclipse was one of the front runners of the AWD revolution which we are now in the midst of. To toss that heritage aside is foolish.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
4g63
CF Newbie

i meant 3.8L

they should have went more with the 06 eclipse concept more.. that was hot as shit .. ur right tho.. they should went with more features from the 1g and 2g .. but it its a big upgrade compared the gen 3s

Last edited by 4g63 : 06-08-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
Bino
Written Off

I guess I look at the Eclipse more relative to its drivetrain. I bought a 2G instead of a 1G because of the 4 wheel SLA suspension available on the 2G but not on the 1G, and the bigger brakes on the 2G over the very early 1G's. I didn't like taking the weight hit, but I'm dealing with it. Plus the 2G has a nice LSD rear diff and the car I found had an early 6-bolt motor swap.

So, the 4G still isn't AWD, it went back to a MacPherson strut front suspension, and has smaller brakes than my 2G. In my mind it's still a failure and a disgrace. I actually think from the front end the 4G looks worse than the 3G.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Most people buying the 1st and 2nd gen eclipses were getting the FWD versions, rather than the AWD versions. the 1st and 2nd gen versions were a bit cramped, as well. So Mitsubishi increased teh interior sizze slightly, and gave teh car a V6 that had only a little more horsepower than the turbo, but more torque over a wider band (in stock form, mind you, as most buyers leave their new cars stock for warranty and emissions purposes). That made the car much more flexible to drive in daily driving, and a bit more "adult" in manner. Considering that they were moving to the Lancer Evo series as their performance car, it made perfect marketing sense.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
Bino
Written Off

Yes, it makes perfect sense to turn what was originally your "sports car" of the company into a civilized 2dr commuter, and turn the 4dr. sedan into the sports car... why didn't I think of it before . Mind you, I'm not bashing you, I'm just still disappointed with Mitsubishi for their choices.

And yes, the Interior of the 2G is pretty cramped (I comfortably fit in a 1G though, I'm 6'3). I am fairly impressed with the interior of the new cars, they definitely offer a lot more than the older versions did.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g63

Gen 3 Eclipses are absolutely THE most pathetic by far of the bunch. The gen 4 eclipse disappointed me BIG time too (does Mitsu WANT to stay in business??). I mean come on, big sedan-like 3.8L V6 driving the FRONT WHEELS ONLY and sedan-like curb weight of 3500lbs! Thing weighs as much as a new porker Mustang GT, but has 40 less hp and drives the front wheels only. Not mention they are basically the same price...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
Yes, it makes perfect sense to turn what was originally your "sports car" of the company into a civilized 2dr commuter, and turn the 4dr. sedan into the sports car...

it was never a sports car. it was a 2+ 2 coupe, and most of them were sold as FWD examples, not AWD performance cars!!!! And teh 4 door sedan was already the world rallye car while the Eclipse was still available as an AWD coupe.

Quote:
why didn't I think of it before

Because you're not looking at it from a business perspective. If the AWD turbo coupes aren't selling, and the flagship rallye car is based on the lighter sedan, then give the largest share of the market what it wants! Drop the expensive AWD turbo coupe that isn't selling well (regardless of what the USED car market is doing), make the basic version that people ARE buying more powerful and more comfortable (and incidentally sell more of them than EVER, which is the business botom line) and make more of the performance version that IS selling: the Evo sedan.

That makes perfectly smart business sense. Businesses exist to make money, not cater to teenagers that wouldn't buy their product when it was new, anyway.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #11
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
it was never a sports car. it was a 2+ 2 coupe,

Which may have had something to do with why I put "sports car" in parenthesis... but good try anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Because you're not looking at it from a business perspective. If the AWD turbo coupes aren't selling, and the flagship rallye car is based on the lighter sedan, then give the largest share of the market what it wants! Drop the expensive AWD turbo coupe that isn't selling well (regardless of what the USED car market is doing), make the basic version that people ARE buying more powerful and more comfortable (and incidentally sell more of them than EVER, which is the business botom line) and make more of the performance version that IS selling: the Evo sedan.

That makes perfectly smart business sense. Businesses exist to make money, not cater to teenagers that wouldn't buy their product when it was new, anyway.

That's fine, the new car is still a disgrace to its roots.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #12
Bino
Written Off

I guess the new Eclipse wouldn't actually bother me at all... if they didn't keep trying to compare it to the 2G and say it's a real throw-back to the beloved cars of 95-99... blah blah blah. It's nothing like them, and the apples-to-oranges comparison is what really pisses me off.