Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
tovarich
CF Newbie

Post American cars.

Is it true what they say lately about the bad quality of American cars ?Here in Belgium we hear a lot of adverse news about it. They say that Americans prefer more and more Japanese and European cars. I must say that the last 4 times we toured the US we were not very satisfied when we had to drive American cars. Paul
tovarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

First of all you were driving the shitty rentals they give you which should not be compared to the better ones. Second, not all american cars are bad, like Chevy's, Dodge's, and some fords(I personally don't like fords except for the mustang and the trucks, sorry FordFromHell351) Most of the people that buy the foreign cars are because they are queers or cheap(except for me) and plus they have better quality and more fuel efficent cars
Old 06-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
1990 mustang
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
First of all you were driving the shitty rentals they give you which should not be compared to the better ones. Second, not all american cars are bad, like Chevy's, Dodge's, and some fords(I personally don't like fords except for the mustang and the trucks, sorry FordFromHell351) Most of the people that buy the foreign cars are because they are queers or cheap(except for me) and plus they have better quality and more fuel efficent cars

grow up and get over yourself.. nobody cares about your opion how about put the picture of your car on here and not some picture you found on a website.
1990 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 mustang
grow up and get over yourself.. nobody cares about your opion how about put the picture of your car on here and not some picture you found on a website.

What the hell are you talking about. Seriously dude what is your problem
Old 06-09-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarich
Is it true what they say lately about the bad quality of American cars ?Here in Belgium we hear a lot of adverse news about it. They say that Americans prefer more and more Japanese and European cars. I must say that the last 4 times we toured the US we were not very satisfied when we had to drive American cars. Paul

Theres nothing wrong with the American cars. Every car can have their fair share of problems, whether its American, Japanese, European etc. When I took a trip to Japan in college for our English class, you wouldnt believe the number of old Ford Mustangs, Chevy Bel Airs, Camaros, Challengers, and even newer American cars there were. Yes, there are Japanese cars there of course but there were also alot of American cars. The Japanese like our way of life and our vehicles just as we like their lifestyle and vehicles. Why do you think so many British car manufactuers are so closey related with Ford? Why do you think Daimler bought out Chrysler? Its because they know that they are reliable, and they like them.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:33 AM   #6
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but Ford will always be of a higher standard than GM and Dodge for sure.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #7
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
...but Ford will always be of a higher standard than GM and Dodge for sure.

Wow...now that was an opinion.

I'm mainly a GM guy. But I like some other brands, like Mutsnags, and some Dodges. Mainly the older muscle and older trucks. the new ones just look way too gaudy to me

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:03 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I'll be honest (As honest as a British Rent-a-cop can be anyways lol), I've never been a great fan of US cars in general, I have just grown to love 60's Mustangs....Just a pitty that fellow Stang lovers (1990 Mustang, to name the only one actually!) are idiots

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
First of all you were driving the shitty rentals they give you which should not be compared to the better ones.

lol!

That would be like going to Europe and deciding that all their cars are like 1.1 liter rental Fiat Puntos and Citroen Saxos...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 mustang
You are an idiot.

To American Cars: I dont really like them. I like Chrysler (Dodge and Plymouth) more than GM, and GM more than Ford. I just dont think they are as reliable as a Japanese car, or as designed as a German car in my opinion. We have a Chrysler T&C and it is constantly broken. All cars have problems, but from my experience, American ones seem to have more of them. It is really a sad thing to me. I hope to go into Mechanical Engineering to design cars, but perhaps Detroit isnt the place to do that anymore.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
You are an idiot.

To American Cars: I dont really like them. I like Chrysler (Dodge and Plymouth) more than GM, and GM more than Ford. I just dont think they are as reliable as a Japanese car, or as designed as a German car in my opinion. We have a Chrysler T&C and it is constantly broken. All cars have problems, but from my experience, American ones seem to have more of them. It is really a sad thing to me. I hope to go into Mechanical Engineering to design cars, but perhaps Detroit isnt the place to do that anymore.

And my Chrysler PT Cruiser has 62k miles on it without a single problem. My '96 Ranger Splash had zero problems or defects in the 2 1/2 years I owned it, same for my '99 SVT Contour. My '81 Chevy Citation was ugly, but it had 323k miles on it when I finally gave it away.

From my experience, my foreign cars have had more problems and cost more to repair than my domestics. And remember, I've had over a hundred cars from most manufacturers. And I STILL like all of them. But there's a real reason I put an American engine in my RX7...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 06-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #12
tovarich
CF Newbie

American cars

I my opinion it is more an economical problem. Companies like GM and Ford have to sell 2 million cars to make a reasonable profit. This must be chain work to say the least.In comparison with us Europeans you Americans drive 2o times more than we do.To give you an idea :my country Belgium goes 14 times into the state of California. We have 10 million inhabitants and are having constant traffic jams. When we tour in the States it's heaven.In order to offset the mass produced American cars Ford and GM have bought well known and respected european companies:Volvo,Saab,Jaguar. and also Japanese.The ones so superior car manufacture in Great Britain has gone forever. Bentley to VW and Rolls Royse to BMW.Rover went broke a few months ago (5000 people on the dole). What you also should keep in mind is the fact that petrol is very expensive in Europe. In my country you now pay 5,3 $ for one gallon (95 RON).If that would happen in the US there would be a revolution.Paul
tovarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #13
Vlad
CF Addict

I haven't been driving cars long enough to say which have been more reliable for me, but I like all of them.

I like some of the asian imports, and will probably end up getting one because they can be found cheap and are good on gas. (For example a civic over a mustang).

But I love Mustangs, and the older Camaros too, and I love American trucks. If I was getting a truck my first choice by far would be american, Ram, F150, Avalanche, whatever, they are all awesome.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarich
I my opinion it is more an economical problem. Companies like GM and Ford have to sell 2 million cars to make a reasonable profit. This must be chain work to say the least.In comparison with us Europeans you Americans drive 2o times more than we do.To give you an idea :my country Belgium goes 14 times into the state of California. We have 10 million inhabitants and are having constant traffic jams. When we tour in the States it's heaven.

One of the reasons for completely different automotive philosophies. Wide open spaces and cheap fuel meant there was no need to make ultra tiny cars with no power. Another is the fact that cars in Europe were either playthings for the wealthy, where cost was no object, or basic commuters where economy was the only objective. Most people in Europe had access to either mass transit OR didn't have to drive to get to anything they needed. Here in the US, luxury was meant for everyone, but it was important for everyone to have access to a car, so cheap cars were supposed to be like the expensive ones, and cornerrs were cut to get there.

But, it would be a mistake to assume that Europen cars were automatically better due to that. the TOP ones were, no doubt about it. But the average European car wasn't any better than American ones for quality, and often worse.

Quote:
In order to offset the mass produced American cars Ford and GM have bought well known and respected european companies:Volvo,Saab,Jaguar. and also Japanese.

Most of which were on the verge of going under on their own. Even Porsche almost went under. Iv'e owned a few pre-Ford jaguars. Beautiful cars, and lovely to drive...when they ran. Had the American companies not stepped in and bought them, they would no longer exist.

Quote:
The ones so superior car manufacture in Great Britain has gone forever.

Excellent panel beaters and craftsmen, who still have jobs in the specialty car industry. But there's a reason that British cars had such woeful reputations for reliability and durability. Again, I've had Jaguars, MGs, Triumphs and more. Delightful cars, but not the best quality. And we won't go into the average European car. I've had numerous Renaults, basic BMWs, and worked on Peugeots and Citroens. And Fiats. Quality and reliability isn't their strong suit.

How many Fiats do you know of with 323k miles on them? My '81 Chevy Citation had that many... And as I said, even the American cars I've bought new have been completely reliable. I've had many European and Japanese cars over the decades (I haven't been around as long as you, but I've owned over a hundred cars in the last 27 years of driving). Loved them all, but will never agree that in general American cars have worse reliability than European cars. Some examples of each have been utter crap, and many have not.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 06-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...but Ford will always be of a higher standard than GM and Dodge for sure.

If you look at statistics over time of all three brands you'll notice Daimler/Chrysler much farther down on the reliability list and Ford/GM basically switching spots for long term reliability. The way I look it at and have experienced it is this... A Daimler/Chyrsler vehicle will have problems in every which-way. A GM will probably need the water pump replaced... A Ford is likely to have various problems in various areas but I've experienced tranny problems the most.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote