Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
penn
CF Newbie

1996 Pontiac Grand Am P1870 Code

Hello,

I have been having problems with my grand am for a few months now and am at a loss. I have taken it to two mechanics and finally to autozone because the check engine, ets off, and low coolant lights are on constantly.
There was no problem with my radiator and I was told that I have an extra sensitive sensor. As far as the check engine and ets off lights being on I took it to autozone today and the code he came up with was P1870. He told me that this was a transmission problem and it could be anything from a sensitive sensor to a major problem.
I was wondering if any of you may have some advice for me as to what I should do. I have put well over $1,000 into this car in the last year and am leery about taking it to a dealer as I have heard many "rip off" stories.
Any advice would be helpful!!

Thanks!!
penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by penn
Hello,

I have been having problems with my grand am for a few months now and am at a loss. I have taken it to two mechanics and finally to autozone because the check engine, ets off, and low coolant lights are on constantly.
There was no problem with my radiator and I was told that I have an extra sensitive sensor. As far as the check engine and ets off lights being on I took it to autozone today and the code he came up with was P1870. He told me that this was a transmission problem and it could be anything from a sensitive sensor to a major problem.
I was wondering if any of you may have some advice for me as to what I should do. I have put well over $1,000 into this car in the last year and am leery about taking it to a dealer as I have heard many "rip off" stories.
Any advice would be helpful!!

Thanks!!

Hey Penn, welcome to the forum. What year is your Grand AM? Is it a manual or auto? Have you had any problems with gears slipping, etc? Just need a little more info, thanks.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
thongsai
CF Enthusiast

yea that code is transaxle slippage.. they are right, it could be a touchy sensor or a real tcc slipping.

are u trying to tow stuff or did u overload the car? heavy dudes? jk..
that can set it too..

the things u can do urself is check fluid levels, check linkages, and tcc selenoid and converter clutch control valve..

depends on ur luck on this one.. it might be serious internal tranny stuff.

My for sale and buying thread
thongsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
penn
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Hey Penn, welcome to the forum. What year is your Grand AM? Is it a manual or auto? Have you had any problems with gears slipping, etc? Just need a little more info, thanks.

1996, It is auto, No problems with slipping or anything of the sort which is why it being a transmission problem came as a bit of a shock.
Thanks for replying, I look forward to any help you might can give me.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
penn
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thongsai
yea that code is transaxle slippage.. they are right, it could be a touchy sensor or a real tcc slipping.

are u trying to tow stuff or did u overload the car? heavy dudes? jk..
that can set it too..

the things u can do urself is check fluid levels, check linkages, and tcc selenoid and converter clutch control valve..

depends on ur luck on this one.. it might be serious internal tranny stuff.

no, no heavy dudes. I have never towed anything nor do I carry heavy loads. I will definitely check the fluids and other things you suggested. I am hoping it is the sensor rather than a major problem. Thanks for the reply and for trying to help me.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:48 PM   #6
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
1996, It is auto, No problems with slipping or anything of the sort which is why it being a transmission problem came as a bit of a shock.
Thanks for replying, I look forward to any help you might can give me.

i don't know how autozone came up with p1870 i checked a couple manuals and online and could not find a p1870 for 96 grand am
the only one close was p1860 for the torque converter clutch system(tcc)

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
penn
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
i don't know how autozone came up with p1870 i checked a couple manuals and online and could not find a p1870 for 96 grand am
the only one close was p1860 for the torque converter clutch system(tcc)

Should I take it back to autozone and double check these results??
My car is acting fine, the problem is I need to get emissions done in the next month and know it will not pass with the check engine light on.
Thanks for your help!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:17 PM   #8
penn
CF Newbie

Thank you to those that have replied so far. I am hoping this will be something I can get straightened out pretty quickly.
Is there another site I could go to for more assistance??
Old 06-17-2005, 11:37 PM   #9
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Thank you to those that have replied so far. I am hoping this will be something I can get straightened out pretty quickly.
Is there another site I could go to for more assistance??

I don't know if it will help, but have you tried contacting Pontiac's repair shop and asking them what the code was for that car? It couldn't hurt all they can do is say no. P1's (p1XXX codes) differ by car.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:41 PM   #10
problemchild
CF Newbie

your 1870 code is the boost vale in your valve body for the transmission. the boost valve boosts up line pressure to make the car shift. what happens is the bore in the valve body expands just a little bit because the boost valve is moving a thousand times a minute this is just from normal wear and tear. as the valve moves fluid is blowing by it causing an unnoticable delayed shift eventually it will destroy the transmission. a company called sonnax makes a redesigned kit so you do not have to by a new valve body. the kit consists of a new sleeve and new aluminum boost valve. good luck!!!
problemchild is offline   Reply With Quote