Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
illusion34
CF Addict

carb vs fuel injection

im only 14 but i love cars. i always wonder whats is beter over all. my dad has a 1977 trans am (carb) and my friends dad has a 1986 mustang (efi) and we always wonder whats faster. another thing, out of these cars what would u guys say has betetr over all performance

1977 trans am
1986 mustang
1987 camaro iroc z

or suggest some cras like thses, i like american cars so no tuners, be forgiving this is my first post and im only 14
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Carb's offer adjustability whereas EFI doesn't, EFI makes all it's own adjustments within certain perameters. Carbureted vehicles can also be cheaper to hop up than EFI vehicles. In my opinion EFI is the better of the two because it's like having a thousand jets for every situation and being able to change them hundreds of times per second. With a carb, you will usually jet it for peak power in a performance application. Often times part throttle cruising and idle quality will suffer and sometimes you can even experience off-idle stumble. An experienced carb tuner could tune a carb to make peak power and still be OK while idling and part-throttle driving as well as eliminating or reducing off-idle stumble.

As far as the T/A vs. the 'Stang, it all depends on what engine is in T/A, what condition both vehicles are in, trans type(stick/auto), and modifications.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:26 AM   #3
illusion34
CF Addict

As far as the T/A vs. the 'Stang, it all depends on what engine is in T/A, what condition both vehicles are in, trans type(stick/auto), and modifications.[/quote]

ok, well there both in mint condition and everything is stock, the t/a is running a 403 and is manua. not modified.but as for the efi vs. carb, the sound is much better with a carb, like really nice. and ya, what would be a real good old american car(looks,performance,handling,speed) that wouldnt cost me a fortune.

Last edited by illusion34 : 06-08-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
illusion34
CF Addict

come on guys answer.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
FordFromHell351
Banned

I prefer to use a carb. Especially when Im racing.

As for who would win the race between the cars you mentioned, these would be the results:

Mustang vs. IROC-Z - It would be close but the Mustang would take it.
Trans Am vs. IROC-Z - It would be the IROC-Z, no contest.
Mustang vs. Trans Am - Mustang, hands down.

This is assuming that all the cars are stock, no mods.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:00 AM   #6
illusion34
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
I prefer to use a carb. Especially when Im racing.

As for who would win the race between the cars you mentioned, these would be the results:

Mustang vs. IROC-Z - It would be close but the Mustang would take it.
Trans Am vs. IROC-Z - It would be the IROC-Z, no contest.
Mustang vs. Trans Am - Mustang, hands down.

This is assuming that all the cars are stock, no mods.

y does the trans am suck so much lol?

and whats a good car thats fast and handles good that doesnt cost over 20 grand, and did y take into consideration that its a 1986 mustang, and the trans am is a 1977 403, 6.6 LITRE and its carb lol
Old 06-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #7
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
Carb's offer adjustability whereas EFI doesn't

It's easier to programme with a laptop than mess around with loads of brass, plus EFI gets the benefits of right fuelling throughout the rev range. With carbs you have to compromise. Also there's very little moving parts of a EFI system so there's very little need to overhaul it unlike carbs.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
It's easier to programme with a laptop than mess around with loads of brass, plus EFI gets the benefits of right fuelling throughout the rev range. With carbs you have to compromise. Also there's very little moving parts of a EFI system so there's very little need to overhaul it unlike carbs.

When EFI fails, it's often a lot more complex to diagnose, espeicailly if it's an intermittant failure.

And while being able to adjust with a laptop is nice, what's the total COST of a custom programmable EFI system compared to a carb? You have to factor that in, as well.

EFI is great for extracting every bit of fuel mileage and driveability out of an engine, but it isn't necessarily going to extract any more peak performance.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #9
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
what's the total COST of a custom programmable EFI system compared to a carb?

It's a lot cheaper now to build a programmable EFI system thanks to Megasquirt. Junk the distributor and use Ford EDIS and you'll get adjustable ignition as well. Fuel economy alone will make it cheaper. Plus adjustments on the rolling road sessions will be quicker and more precise. There's no need to open the bonnet everytime to adjust the jets.

Carbs also responds badly to huge overlap cams compared to EFI. That's why not many racing cars use them anymore.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:31 PM   #10
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
y does the trans am suck so much lol?

and whats a good car thats fast and handles good that doesnt cost over 20 grand, and did y take into consideration that its a 1986 mustang, and the trans am is a 1977 403, 6.6 LITRE and its carb lol

Even if the Trans Am has that certain engine, it was so smogged up that it only produced somewhere in the mid 200hp range. The Mustang was actually the fastest "muscle" car of the 80s. Unless we would have been talking about a 1979-1982 Mustang.

Well, what type of car manufactuer are you looking for? American, European, Japanese...what?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:56 AM   #11
illusion34
CF Addict

ok. first off, how would a modified trans am do, with like a nice 427 with a good 400-450 horse do against those and second is the t/a aslight as those cars, second as for what im looking for, here is the criteria

fast
modifiable
looks decent

but im nleaning more towards muscle cars so try to suggest some, but no cars that cost more than like 15 thousand american
Old 06-10-2005, 03:29 AM   #12
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
ok. first off, how would a modified trans am do, with like a nice 427 with a good 400-450 horse do against those and second is the t/a aslight as those cars, second as for what im looking for, here is the criteria

fast
modifiable
looks decent

but im leaning more towards muscle cars so try to suggest some, but no cars that cost more than like 15 thousand american
Well what year of Trans Am? My dad had a 75' Firebird with 427 and a few other things and it was fast, not a very reliable winter car though. If it is an older Trans Am then they are pretty heavy even though they look like small cars. I think it wold be a nice car to get. IMO all older cars (75' and older look really nice (78' is firebird/trans am)). If your leaning towards muscle then there are plenty of options you can go for mustangs, firebirds, camaros and some chevelles/novas cause they arent THAT expensive and are kinda smaller and cheaper.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:44 AM   #13
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:

fast
modifiable
looks decent

but im nleaning more towards muscle cars so try to suggest some, but no cars that cost more than like 15 thousand american

Well then thats a different story, it would kick the shit out of both of them

I would get a vintage Mustang, maybe one with a 289 or 302 V8. Maybe a 1968 Firebird w/ a 350 V8 and 3 speed tranny, or even a Dodge Dart with a 318 V8.

Last edited by FordFromHell351 : 06-10-2005 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:50 AM   #14
FordFromHell351
Banned

It would also be cool to get a 1970 Pontiac Firebird with a 4 speed and a 400 V8. My friend has one an it makes around 410hp with its engine and exhaust mods. It sounds awesome too when its rolling smoke all the way through 2nd gear
Old 06-10-2005, 01:40 PM   #15
illusion34
CF Addict

ok, well yeah, it would mostly e ween a trans am (the only prob is the 77 i like, u gys say its slow and im better off with the older one,u but which one is heavier, cuz i would modify the 77 like crazy neways.

a mustang with a 302 i guess but then a gain i would modify it

or a camaro that i would modify lol, the only prob is that the 60's camaros are expensive

by the way out of these three cars whats the lightest, it would be a 87 camaro,86 'stang, and a 77 t/a