Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #16
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreshnklean
Is there a specific nitrous system / HP you would recommend?

It just killed me when my friend passed me in his stock crx
Honestly, for your application I would have to go shopping. Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS), ZEX, Nitrous Express, Holley, etc all make good systems. Your best bet would be to call some tech lines and see what their recommendations are for your car, how complete the kits are, pricing and so on. You might even scam a deal on e-Bay or check your local dragstrip.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #17
SuperJew
I like pie.

NOS is a crock of shit in the real world....short bursts arent worth a damn on the highway. its all about turbo/blower/big engines.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:22 PM   #18
mrfreshnklean
CF Newbie

highway???????????????????

Last edited by mrfreshnklean : 02-02-2004 at 06:42 PM.
mrfreshnklean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:50 AM   #19
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
NOS is a crock of shit in the real world....short bursts arent worth a damn on the highway. its all about turbo/blower/big engines.

Not when your "racing" from light to light...like in the "real" world.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:20 PM   #20
Cutlass455
CF Newbie

horepower

hey man, i just got my hands on a 1970 olds 455. im dropping it into a 72 cutlass.. i bought it from a friend of mine who runs his own shop. Its dynoed at 415 hp \ 480tq. it cost me 2000 cdn. and the guy gave me a deal.. i'd recomend a new set of heads.. 74 was a brutal year, the cam would help too.. anything form mondello performance.. new grinds KILL the old ones. umm bigger carb? i got a 850 deamon.. so yea theres tons of stuff out there
Cutlass455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #21
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

I have a 1976 Buick Electra 225 Limited 4dr Hardtop with Vinyl and it is totally stock. I have the GM big block 455 V-8 with a Rochester Quadrajet. Now, being a 1976 455, it is de-tuned from the older late 60's and possibly early 70's and made to run on 87 octane. Lower compression, etc. The engine probably has no more than 220 hp or so stock, but it fairs well with torque. I recently took it to a guy 200 miles away that I know who does excellent custom exhaust work and I had him install custom "true" duals for me. He took off the pancake catalytic converter and ran 2" stainless pipes all the way from the flanged manifold bolt-ups to the rear bumper with polished stainless slant-cut tips and painted welds. I have NO catalytic and I have two high performance Flowmaster 40's welded in racing style equi-distance from the driveshaft and rear differential under the rear seating floor-pan. The sounds is spectacular and the power gains were noticable by no question. Someone was talking about Low resistance exhaust....well I've done it and it works. I would say I probably gained 15-20 horses easy and no telling about torque...AND it is a stock V-8 455 with no other mods. I get a hard-on every time I fire the engine and she sits there and loupes like a 396/SS with a cam. It's amazing what 500 bucks gets ya. Nevermind what you hear when you depress the pedal. Who the **** needs a woman when you've got a big block with a HOT exhaust system?
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #22
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Who the **** needs a woman when you've got a big block with a HOT exhaust system?

And what are you doing with the "hot" exhaust system that you apparently also do with a woman?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #23
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

With the HOT exhaust system......get your sick mind outta the gutter. I LOVE listening to it. As for the women, not a thing with them either. Made your head hurt didn't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
And what are you doing with the "hot" exhaust system that you apparently also do with a woman?
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:13 AM   #24
Arthur
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
personaly, I think NOS is over-rated thanks to The Slow and The Curious. The way I see it, either ZEX or Nitrous Express are the 2 to consider. But this is all my opinion. VWhobo may see hings differently and I impatiantly await his response.
i hate you... first you call it nos then when talking about brand names you say zex and nitrous... WTF nitrous is the chemical and NOS IS THE BRAND.@#%@#J!#@^@!#
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:39 AM   #25
LetsGoRodeo
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Increasing Horsepower

There are several options for INCREASING HORSEPOWER, however most will put a giant sized crimp in your wallet; just ask any INDY and NASCAR team owner.

One popular option on the market is "the chip." Unfortuanately, the computer chip has several monumental draw backs:

1) The chip will set you back $400-500 for a mere couple percentage points increase in horsepower.
2) It will immediately VOID your warranty, so adding the chip to a new car can end up costing a lot more than the purchase price.
3) Finally, there's only a minimal increase in horsepower.

Now here's an option that gives you a very hefty bang for the buck and double digit increase on RPM without breaking your bank on a mechanic. Infact, in the long run you will actually save money by additionally increasing your miles per gallon.

Check out MPG Technologies, <link removed>

Racing teams have used a variety of MPG Technologies products! Approved by the Federal Aviation Administration for use in aircraft, MPG Technologies products have been tested by the US Department of Energy, Franklin Research Group, NASA and Consumer Digest.

"We were skeptical at first, but it turns out that the product does exactly what the manufacturer claims."
Consumer Digest

The engine treatment has been tested worldwide by universities, military, government and independent test facilities have shown an average 17.5% increase in horsepower.

Official Test Results
Reduced Friction 12.6%
Improved Horsepower 15.5%
Increased MPG 17.5%
<link removed>

<link removed> MPG Technologies backs up their claims with testing and offers some revealing information on other products on the market <link removed>

As the primary sponsor of the Long Beach Gran Prix under the LubraLon label their treatment set the pace for the industry. Emissions and fuel treatment significantly reduces toxic emissions. The transmission and gear box treatment can save thousands of dollars on rebuilds.

They have products for Car & Truck, Boat, Plane, Small Engine, Motorcycle, Heavy Equipment, Compressors and a variety of other mechanical engines.

<link removed>

Last edited by SuperJew : 09-09-2004 at 09:49 PM.
LetsGoRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:22 PM   #26
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
I have a 1976 Buick Electra 225 Limited 4dr Hardtop with Vinyl and it is totally stock. I have the GM big block 455 V-8 with a Rochester Quadrajet...I recently took it to a guy 200 miles away that I know who does excellent custom exhaust work and I had him install custom "true" duals for me. He took off the pancake catalytic converter and ran 2" stainless pipes all the way from the flanged manifold bolt-ups to the rear bumper with polished stainless slant-cut tips and painted welds. I have NO catalytic and I have two high performance Flowmaster 40's welded in racing style equi-distance from the driveshaft and rear differential under the rear seating floor-pan...I would say I probably gained 15-20 horses easy and no telling about torque...AND it is a stock V-8 455 with no other mods:

I think your exhaust man screwed you on pipe size. You should be running no less than 2.25" duals and 2.5" duals would be acceptable. If you had a true dual system of 2.5" I think you would have been much happier.

Just to give you an idea...your 455 is running no cats and dual 2" pipes all the way...my 302 is running a 2.5" h-pipe(no cats)with dumps directly after the mufflers(DynoMax Super Turbo). I can't tell you how much hp and tq I picked up when I put that system on (versus the previous system-no cats, 2" mufflers with tail pipes). I can tell you it was so much of a difference it's just plain silly. I opted against installing tail-pipes on my current system so low-end torque suffered slightly but it made huge gains in the 3000-5500rpm range. My engine is rated at 225hp and is probably putting out much more now...I designed my exhaust system with 2 things in mind...keeping it quiet and having the ability to run up to 400hp before needing to bump up in pipe size.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.

Last edited by Sick88Tbird : 09-06-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:51 AM   #27
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

F*cking junk, that's twice in one night.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Last edited by vwhobo : 09-09-2004 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:52 AM   #28
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoRodeo

There are several options for INCREASING HORSEPOWER, however most will put a giant sized crimp in your wallet; just ask any INDY and NASCAR team owner.

One popular option on the market is "the chip." Unfortuanately, the computer chip has several monumental draw backs:

1) The chip will set you back $400-500 for a mere couple percentage points increase in horsepower.
2) It will immediately VOID your warranty, so adding the chip to a new car can end up costing a lot more than the purchase price.
3) Finally, there's only a minimal increase in horsepower.

Now here's an option that gives you a very hefty bang for the buck and double digit increase on RPM without breaking your bank on a mechanic. Infact, in the long run you will actually save money by additionally increasing your miles per gallon.

Check out MPG Technologies, www.getmorempg.com

Racing teams have used a variety of MPG Technologies products! Approved by the Federal Aviation Administration for use in aircraft, MPG Technologies products have been tested by the US Department of Energy, Franklin Research Group, NASA and Consumer Digest.

"We were skeptical at first, but it turns out that the product does exactly what the manufacturer claims."
Consumer Digest

The engine treatment has been tested worldwide by universities, military, government and independent test facilities have shown an average 17.5% increase in horsepower.

Official Test Results
Reduced Friction 12.6%
Improved Horsepower 15.5%
Increased MPG 17.5%
http://www.getmorempg.com/pdf/uou.pdf

http://www.getmorempg.com/testing.htm MPG Technologies backs up their claims with testing and offers some revealing information on other products on the market http://www.getmorempg.com/compete.htm

As the primary sponsor of the Long Beach Gran Prix under the LubraLon label their treatment set the pace for the industry. Emissions and fuel treatment significantly reduces toxic emissions. The transmission and gear box treatment can save thousands of dollars on rebuilds.

They have products for Car & Truck, Boat, Plane, Small Engine, Motorcycle, Heavy Equipment, Compressors and a variety of other mechanical engines.

www.getmorempg.com
ATTENTION ALL MODERATORS. Here is an example of the trash you shold be getting rid of instead of active conversational threads. This individual was brought to the attention of an unnamed mod by yours truly. Unfortunately they only had tim to delete one of his posts instead of all five as requested. These perpetrators are extremely easy to find and identify with just a modicum of effort. If you have any questions I will be happy to explain how... If you have the time.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:39 AM   #29
Wildman-Dan
CF Newbie

I would first get a catalog and tech manual from Mr. Oldsmobile himself...
http://www.mondellotwister.com/ Joe Mondello. I believe he helped Edelbrock
develop these heads... http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/headolds.html
Who is also building some awesome manifolds now...
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_olds.html
And some excellent carbs... check out the 1910...
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/carb_qjet.html
And the catalog is free...
http://edelbrock.webreplymail.com/custinfo.asp?bc=EDE
I would look into ignition, exhaust upgrades, and the above items at...
http://www.summitracing.com
and/or..
http://www.jegs.com/
Both of which offer free catalogs.

Bore centers from smallblocks to bigblocks are the same, as are the bolt paterns. SB heads will bolt to BB cylinder blocks etc. But causes some problems with port alignment/size. I think some aftermarket heads for SB's had ports nearly the size of BB,s etc... Big blocks are about 1 inch taller, and 1.5 inches wider... So the big manifold is wider, before the selection of BB manifolds got so good, spacers were used on big block engines/heads and, more plentifull, small block intake manifolds. Not a big item any more...

This all just leaves alot open to a hot rodder on a budjet, who isn't afraid to play with the combo.

Oldsmobile "C" castings, from the late 60's are about the best flowing heads around. There are better, but much more rare. Definately use a HEI dist., if you haven't already done so. New, modern cams go a long way to improve performance, but watch out for the non-adjustable valve train. Stick to a hyd cam, from a bigger name, don't get a cheap re-grind, the reduced base circle will cause valve train problems.

You could get 50 hp easialy, A good HEI dist., wires, fresh plugs, aftermarket intake, new/well tuned carburetor, headers, and duel exhaust with free flowing mufflers.

Still, no matter what, get Mondello's catalog! Olds had an oiling problems I found out after I spun a rod bearing in my '71 455 (doing do-nutz at the mall, 6,000 RPM sounds sooo goood, but it'll never last!) When I was researching my rebuild, I got Mondello's catalog, 19 years ago!
He explains the interchageability, weaknesses, and strengths of the Olds.
The catalog I had even went into the 350 olds diesel, how to build a 440 drag SMALL block out of it, 425 BB crank drop in, and thick cyl walls to bore out! Put a 350 rocket air cleaner on it, and go street racing! Who would know?

If you do the research, you will find tech articals, check the news stands every week, Car Craft is a good one for Olds performance articles.
Also, go to the public library, and do a periodical search for Oldsmobile, some, and many librarys are cool enough to keep decades of car mags!
I photocopied lots of vintage tech for 3-4 bucks!

Do your homework! you'll find what you need!

Dan

My first car was that '71 Olds...I've owned too many GM's to count.
Got 8 SB chevys in the garage, along with a '76 Vette, 3 Chevy's in the driveway, one in the boat, and a Buick 455 on the way!
Old 11-20-2004, 04:31 AM   #30
Rocket442
CF Newbie

I like modello for parts, they havent messed anything up on my in shipping or sending the wrong part, and for olds parts they arent too pricey.

i have a '70 455 in my 64 442 and i have it bored .060 over, blueprinted, and im not sure, but if you can get an X-Force Exhuast for your year olds, but if you can highly recommend them.

i have 2 olds right now and i have grown up with them all my life, you wont be disappointed with the power you can get, the specialty parts may be a little harder to find then for a chevy, but its worth it.
Rocket442 is offline   Reply With Quote