Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2005, 06:18 AM   #1
Guns_10
CF Newbie

which car?

im getting a new car and cannot decide on wich one to get.. i cant decide between a 1994 rx-7 with a new renesis engine, a 1999 mitsubishi eclipse, or a 2004 350z.. with about 10 grand droped into the engine of any of these cars, wich one would be fastest? what do you think about the exterior styling of the eclipse? rear or all wheel drive? thanks for the help
Guns_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
300hpG
CF Newbie

go for the rx-7 and drop a 3 rotor motor in it and twin turbo and you could devistate all manner of car big and small
300hpG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns_10
im getting a new car and cannot decide on wich one to get.. i cant decide between a 1994 rx-7 with a new renesis engine, a 1999 mitsubishi eclipse, or a 2004 350z.. with about 10 grand droped into the engine of any of these cars, wich one would be fastest? what do you think about the exterior styling of the eclipse? rear or all wheel drive? thanks for the help
Dude...if you can seriously each of those...I don't even get why you're asking lol. 350Z!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
Honda Accord-
CF Newbie

Well If you have to choose between those cars...then I would probably choose the 350z.
Honda Accord- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
Inygknok
El del Supra

i guess im the first educated one to respond to this thread.......

question is, wat would u want the car for? and wat interests u the most?

in fact, u should actually go for the one u like the most in your very own personal opinion, not ours.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:38 PM   #6
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hpG
go for the rx-7 and drop a 3 rotor motor in it and twin turbo and you could devistate all manner of car big and small

I agree, but that sonofabitch is gonna guzzle gas like no other and the hp will be monstrous. The Z is newer, so you wouldn't have to worry about repairs so much as you would the with the Eclipse and the RX-7 (with it's old engine), but if you drop a new 20B-T in the RX-7, that is where most of your 10G's will go (but the car will be wicked fast). 10G's in the Z will get you whatever kind of forced induction you want and a little on the side. I like RWD but that is my personal preference. If you live in a snowy area and you have a 400+ hp car with a 6 speed and RWD, you might not want to drive it in the snow . I drive my RWD in the snow but it doesn't have alot of low end power. If you want the max power possible, I would avoid the Eclipse and it's 4G63 in favor of VQ or rotorary power. The VQ will have the most low end compared to either of the other two for streetable pull. Now onto handling.....
Old 08-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
Vlad
CF Addict

I would defiantely go with the Z.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
350z. Its a great car, and pretty good performance. 10k should go far on the 350.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
airmanUSN
CF Enthusiast

if you've got 10k to put into a car, don't sink it all in the motor. Build a complete car (suspension,motor,wheels,tires,) Figure about 4k in the motor,2k in suspension,2k in wheels & tire, and about 2k for installation of it all. you'll be at lot happier in the end. What good is power if you can't put it to the ground or drift around a few corners every now and then?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:55 PM   #10
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

[quote=airmanUSN]if you've got 10k to put into a car, don't sink it all in the motor. Build a complete car (suspension,motor,wheels,tires,) Figure about 4k in the motor,2k in suspension,2k in wheels & tire, and about 2k for installation of it all. you'll be at lot happier in the end. What good is power if you can't put it to the ground or drift around a few corners every now and then? [/QUOTE]

what good is power if you can't slow the **** down? get some brakes upgrades mate, that's needed too.

also, you should more then likely upgrade your diff to a 2way LSD, considering the 350z came with a 1.5way LSD, meaning that it'll diff lock when goin' slideways, and the outside wheel will spin faster goin' around corners.

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 AM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Remember, brakes work against mass, not hp. Mass from a given speed is the need for more brakes, and just getting to that speed quicker doen't require more braking if teh brakes already work well on that mass from that speed.

RX7s and 350Zs tend to have pretty good brakes already, that really only need a pad swap so as not to fade. Same for handling. RX7s and 350Zs handle well enough in stock form at elevated speeds that making them quicker doens't negatively affect that.

Personally, I'd never do a 20B swap in an RX7. VERY expensive and does the one thing the rotary fans claim that a V8 swap does: adds weight ahead of the front axle making the car heavier AND makes the balance worse. An LS1, OTOH, doesn't change the balance and only adds about 100 lbs of weight.

Which is why so many dead '93-94 RX7s are getting LS1 transplants. 350+ stock hp unstressed, reliable, better fuel mileage, and quite a bit faster... and very easy to get 400-500 unstressed, reliable hp from.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:07 AM   #12
airmanUSN
CF Enthusiast

sorry forgot about brakes but the z comes with vented brembo brakes already, not sure about the rx7 and the eclipse would deffinately need an upgrade
Old 08-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

Save your pennies and get one of these:

Old 08-18-2005, 05:11 AM   #14
airmanUSN
CF Enthusiast

[quote=Wally]Save your pennies and get one of these:

not enough negitive smilies for how jacked up that front end is IMAO
Old 08-18-2005, 05:45 AM   #15
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanUSN
sorry forgot about brakes but the z comes with vented brembo brakes already, not sure about the rx7 and the eclipse would deffinately need an upgrade

I am pretty sure that most Z's don't come with Brembros. It is an option on the more expensive models.