Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2005, 03:53 AM   #1
Pwright23
CF Newbie

Mufflers

I wanted to know what muffler would go really well with a four-banger. I want something that will be really loud and have a deep rumble. Something that you can hear a few blocks away. I would like something that when I going flying past people they can feel my exhaust in their chest. If anyone can help that would be great. thanks

Last edited by Pwright23 : 06-17-2005 at 03:55 AM. Reason: needed to add more
Pwright23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:45 AM   #2
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwright23
I wanted to know what muffler would go really well with a four-banger. I want something that will be really loud and have a deep rumble. Something that you can hear a few blocks away. I would like something that when I going flying past people they can feel my exhaust in their chest. If anyone can help that would be great. thanks
So what's more important, the noise, or the ability to "go flying past people"?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:

Dont get just one of those "angry bumble-bee" mufflers. If your going to do it, do it right and get a full cat-back exhaust system HKS or Greddy would be my first impulses. But please, whatever you do, dont make your car sound all annoying and stupid like that by putting on one of those huge ass mufflers from Matrix Racing, Toucan, APC or some other off brand company. If your going to just get a muffler then go with a Borla Boomers muffler. They sound great on just about any car and they are for universal use, plus they give a 2-5% horsepower increase so youll gain a little something.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Another retard looking at mufflers for performance
Old 06-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

The muffler only deals with the sound the engine already makes. very few 4 cyl cars can even MAKE a deep rumble (the closest is the boxer 4 on the WRX), most will make a higher piched snarl, or even that angry bee sound (go to the road races and see what 4 cylinder cars have sounded like for decades. Yes, it's that angry bee sound. Can't be helped, even the fast ones make that noise if the engine small enough).

it isn't the brand of muffler that makes a Civic sound like an angry bee, it's the engine size and rpm band itself.

If you want a deep rumble, you need to get a larger engine car.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Kinda like the 2.5 liter SE-R motor
Old 06-17-2005, 10:22 PM   #7
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Kinda like the 2.5 liter SE-R motor

Sometimes it does have that bee sound...but more so a nice growl and deep lucious tones, and thats with stock exhaust. I got Borla Turbo mufflers coming with straight piping and a Borla Boomers Spitfire muffler. It should sound really nice after I get that installed
Old 06-18-2005, 01:52 AM   #8
Pwright23
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Another retard looking at mufflers for performance

You obviously have a pea sized brain to think something that retarted!
I am not just looking for performance from a muffler dumbass. I already have the whole exhaust system with a single chamber flowmaster. but i am unhappy with how loud my car is. i want something louder. really really loud. i have already installed a header and exhause all the way back. now i just need a better muffler. is it that hard to get an answer in this place?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:03 AM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
I am not just looking for performance from a muffler dumbass. I already have the whole exhaust system with a single chamber flowmaster. but i am unhappy with how loud my car is. i want something louder. really really loud. i have already installed a header and exhause all the way back. now i just need a better muffler. is it that hard to get an answer in this place?

Okay but ya didn't say that you had all those things on it. Try to get your info straight before ya start flamin Get a Greddy muffler
Old 06-19-2005, 03:14 AM   #10
Pwright23
CF Newbie

so which would be better a borla boomer or a greedy muffler? i have heard both from everyone.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:16 AM   #11
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
so which would be better a borla boomer or a greedy muffler? i have heard both from everyone.

Borla Boomers.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:22 AM   #12
frizzal
CF Newbie

if you just want loud go greedy. it will be loud and sound as close to what you want as you are going to get. keep it at a higher rpm and you will have loud. if you want deeper go magna flow. the chambers are kind of like the flowmaster but it louder.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:05 AM   #13
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Quote:

::Sniffs:: Does anyone else smell rice?

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #14
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
::Sniffs:: Does anyone else smell rice?

Smells like white rice to me
Old 06-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #15
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

It's guys like me that hunt the streets for guys like you on friday and saturday nights...

I've heard a flowmaster 40 series on an early '90's CRX with a 2.25" system, no cat and headers...it was loud as hell and had a load of bass at lower RPM's....it sounds like nothing will satisfy your Ricer determination to be as LOUD and OBNOXIOUS as possible, so I'll give you a little tip...take your exhaust system from the header back and throw it in the trash if you really want to be loud...apparently being loud is more important than performance for you.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote