Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2005, 02:49 AM   #1
vette2004
CF Newbie

alternator?

my brother drives a 96 sunfire and the otherday he called me and told me that it had died and when he tried to start it and it made a clicking sound like it had a dead battery. when i got there i checked it out and the headlights radio ect where still working but it had the dead battery click to it, after i jumped it and got it home i looked again and the alternator became really hot after running for about of 3 min. i think the alternator is done for but i just wanted to be sure, if it sounds like anything else please let me know, thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 03:16 AM   #2
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette2004
my brother drives a 96 sunfire and the otherday he called me and told me that it had died and when he tried to start it and it made a clicking sound like it had a dead battery. when i got there i checked it out and the headlights radio ect where still working but it had the dead battery click to it, after i jumped it and got it home i looked again and the alternator became really hot after running for about of 3 min. i think the alternator is done for but i just wanted to be sure, if it sounds like anything else please let me know, thanks

Its the alternator. Thats actually a common problem with those cars as well as the Cavys.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Its the alternator. Thats actually a common problem with those cars as well as the Cavys.

Is there a way you can check the amperage on alternators to make sure they are throwing ther right amps before doing a full switch?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:30 AM   #4
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
yes absolutely! thats the only way you can diagnose a pooched alternator, you need an inductive amp probe though, or the hard way connect an ameter in series to the circuit, but you have to test em at idle and also above 2000 rpm when the battery is loaded to see if it is putting out full amperage and voltage, if ya stick a voltmeter across your battery terminals while it's idling you should be charging at a minimum of 13-15 volts depending on the alternator. so yeah i just got off the highway and my alternator is hot as hell too does that mean mine is fubar,?????
Old 06-20-2005, 03:34 AM   #5
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
yes absolutely! thats the only way you can diagnose a pooched alternator, you need an inductive amp probe though, or the hard way connect an ameter in series to the circuit, but you have to test em at idle and also above 2000 rpm when the battery is loaded to see if it is putting out full amperage and voltage, if ya stick a voltmeter across your battery terminals while it's idling you should be charging at a minimum of 13-15 volts depending on the alternator. so yeah i just got off the highway and my alternator is hot as hell too does that mean mine is fubar,?????

Thanks that's what I was looking for Plus, check the wires to the alternator. It could just be something as simple as that.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:35 AM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Thanks that's what I was looking for Plus, check the wires to the alternator. It could just be something as simple as that.

Ehhhh, maybe not, he said it was really hot to the touch so that really couldn't be the problem
Old 06-20-2005, 03:36 AM   #7
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Ehhhh, maybe not, he said it was really hot to the touch so that really couldn't be the problem

Oh! And also NEVER go with a rebuilt alternator damn things will blow within a month!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:40 AM   #8
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

REALLY? you mean never go used right...... thats why dixie can give 2 and 1 year warrenties on all alternators just so they can replace em for free every month, did you really go to school for this? cuz i think you paid too much, and who in thier right mind is gunna pay 400$ for new alternators on thier pieces of crap rusty tercels? im not trying to be an asshole but please back up what your saying cuz the newbies here will get the wrong info and spout it off to thier friends and thier friends friends and then we get a black hole of ignorance, which is what happens all the time, so please just break the chain
Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 AM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
REALLY? you mean never go used right...... thats why dixie can give 2 and 1 year warrenties on all alternators just so they can replace em for free every month, did you really go to school for this? cuz i think you paid too much, and who in thier right mind is gunna pay 400$ for new alternators on thier pieces of crap rusty tercels? im not trying to be an asshole but please back up what your saying cuz the newbies here will get the wrong info and spout it off to thier friends and thier friends friends and then we get a black hole of ignorance, which is what happens all the time, so please just break the chain

God both of you are going at it tonight. Time for bed
Old 06-20-2005, 03:46 AM   #10
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

sorry but thats the only thing that bothers me in the world! ignorance is the cause of every single problem in the world from religion to politics to cars and the way people handle themselves, and it only seems to be getting worse!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:47 AM   #11
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
sorry but thats the only thing that bothers me in the world! ignorance is the cause of every single problem in the world from religion to politics to cars and the way people handle themselves, and it only seems to be getting worse!

Let me just say get used to it I had a guy come into my shop keep on saying that his brand new factory tires were making the car have a squeeky noise when he stopped but he had about a 1/4 of an inch of brake pads left. Now tell me that ain't ignorant

Last edited by 99integra : 06-20-2005 at 03:50 AM.
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:47 AM   #12
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:

When I replace something on my vehicle, I like to do it right. Every rebuilt alternator I have placed on a car has blown out again and again. Just like most other rebuilt parts. just like when I replaced a water pump on my friends 1987 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight w/ the 3800 V6. I had to replace it 4 times with a span of 2 months finally we just bought a new one for around $200 and it hasnt had to be replaced since. I believe the brand that re-did the waterpumps was Duralast.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:55 AM   #13
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

well the dixie rep told me 85% of ALL returns of so-called bad alternators were just improperly diagnosed, and rebuilt waterpumps i don't see many of cept for fenco and only on chrysler 3.0L cuz the new one was about 450$ really all it is is a shaft an impeller a bearing and a seal, they clean they housing and make sure it's flat how did you manage to get 4 bad ones? hope you got your money back cuz they do have warrenty, could happen but i highly doubt it
Old 06-20-2005, 04:56 AM   #14
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
well the dixie rep told me 85% of ALL returns of so-called bad alternators were just improperly diagnosed, and rebuilt waterpumps i don't see many of cept for fenco and only on chrysler 3.0L cuz the new one was about 450$ really all it is is a shaft an impeller a bearing and a seal, they clean they housing and make sure it's flat how did you manage to get 4 bad ones? hope you got your money back cuz they do have warrenty, could happen but i highly doubt it

After the first 2 they gave me my (his) money back and then just started giving us replacements for the broken ones.