Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2005, 02:55 AM   #1
mdunnel1
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gainesville, GA in the North Hall area.
Posts: 4
1997 Dodge Neon nightmare

I have a 1997 Dodge Neon 2.0 SOHC that recently broke the timing belt due to the failure of the timing belt tensioner pulley. I fixed that, realigned the timeing marks ect. according to the Haynes manuel, put her back together but when I fired her up... first she backfired with black smoke and then she ran horribly and only when I was giving her the gas. When I let off the gas, she dies...anybody with a clue on this for a new member?
mdunnel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:10 AM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
That really sounds like the timing is turned way, way down. How low are the rpm's in drive? How about you introduce yourself in the "introduce yourself" thread
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:10 AM   #3
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunnel1
I have a 1997 Dodge Neon 2.0 SOHC that recently broke the timing belt due to the failure of the timing belt tensioner pulley. I fixed that, realigned the timeing marks ect. according to the Haynes manuel, put her back together but when I fired her up... first she backfired with black smoke and then she ran horribly and only when I was giving her the gas. When I let off the gas, she dies...anybody with a clue on this for a new member?

Congratulations!!! You are the proud owner of a car that now needs an engine rebuild!!! Have fun!!!
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:11 AM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Congratulations!!! You are the proud owner of a car that now needs an engine rebuild!!! Have fun!!!

Damn that was fast I thought it would be low idle
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 AM   #5
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Damn that was fast I thought it would be low idle

With black smoke and back-firing...its definatly not just low idle. Anytime a timing belt snaps or a timing chain goes...your going to need a rebuild
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:17 AM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated
 
97Talonchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
With black smoke and back-firing...its definatly not just low idle. Anytime a timing belt snaps or a timing chain goes...your going to need a rebuild


And yet you said it so nicely too. Poor newbie isn't gonna hang around now....
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:17 AM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
With black smoke and back-firing...its definatly not just low idle. Anytime a timing belt snaps or a timing chain goes...your going to need a rebuild

Always open for more info I have snapped my old Integra's timing belt twice and it never did that
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:19 AM   #8
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Always open for more info I have snapped my old Integra's timing belt twice and it never did that

Well your a lucky mother ****er then lol
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:20 AM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Well your a lucky mother ****er then lol

You know it
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:24 AM   #10
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper
 
BanffAutoSpa_ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Posts: 1,510
so every car that snaps a belt or chain needs a rebuild eh? so im gunna try to sell this to my customers but how can i back it up? please do tell
__________________
Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:27 AM   #11
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
so every car that snaps a belt or chain needs a rebuild eh? so im gunna try to sell this to my customers but how can i back it up? please do tell

Well, its not going to be that way everytime...but about 95% of the time it will. See, once the belt/chain goes, the engine gets warped around, especially if your at higher speeds. If you are going at lower speeds say...35-50mph you have a better chance of not needing an engine rebuild.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:28 AM   #12
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Well, its not going to be that way everytime...but about 95% of the time it will. See, once the belt/chain goes, the engine gets warped around, especially if your at higher speeds. If you are going at lower speeds say...35-50mph you have a better chance of not needing an engine rebuild.

But then again it can still mess up the internals
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:29 AM   #13
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
But then again it can still mess up the internals
Exactly. Anytime something like that happens, I would suggest getting your internals checked.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:29 AM   #14
97Talonchik
discombobulated
 
97Talonchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Well, its not going to be that way everytime...but about 95% of the time it will. See, once the belt/chain goes, the engine gets warped around, especially if your at higher speeds. If you are going at lower speeds say...35-50mph you have a better chance of not needing an engine rebuild.


I'm not positive, but I think he was just gassing it in park...you know...not driving??
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:30 AM   #15
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
I'm not positive, but I think he was just gassing it in park...you know...not driving??

ya think
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.