Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
girlie23
CF Newbie

peace of mind

I am in no way a car expert, so I need a little dispute settled over my car and my neighbor's. Needless to say we don't get along and the discussion is not goodnatured!! :P He just recently bought a 87 Corvette (automatic) and has repeatedly stated that it would beat my car, any day, anywhere. Who has the advantage: an 87 Corvette w/automatic transmission or my 5 speed 98 Cobra although it is a convertible? Am I dumb for thinking that my car would win or just dumb for asking?
girlie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

well, if I saw the 2 cars out at the dragstrip, I would put my money on the Vette. However, I personally think it would be a close race. Not sure what either of them run in the quarter stock though.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Damn. 300hp/300tq @ 35xxlbs on your stang + your weight + your mad driving skills vs 240hp/300tq @ 3100lbs + his weight + his driving skills = only one way to find out, race!
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #4
girlie23
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
well, if I saw the 2 cars out at the dragstrip, I would put my money on the Vette. However, I personally think it would be a close race. Not sure what either of them run in the quarter stock though.

thanks for your answer. i'd appreciate it if you tell me why the Vette would win. i know the Vette is easier to handle and although my car has more horsepower, it is heavier. are those relevant factors? i just want to know for the knowledge b/c it would be nice to kind of know what i am talking about!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
girlie23
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Damn. 300hp/300tq @ 35xxlbs on your stang + your weight + your mad driving skills vs 240hp/300tq @ 3100lbs + his weight + his driving skills = only one way to find out, race!

that would be the easy answer, wouldn't it? but considering the fact that he "won't race me until i learn how to drive it" which hurts my ego very much because i've been driving it for five years and it's the car i learned to drive stick on, i have to settle with the theoretical.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports

since he has an auto all he has to do is step on the gas and he's done. You have to be sure you shift at right rpm, don't miss a gear, etc. Its all in the driver. Other factors include gearing, weight of each car, tires, weather,etc. Considering all equal, you should take him.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

"horsepower sells car, torque wins races"

cant remember where i saw that said, but i'm inclined to use that as proof that he'll win. his car as just as much torque as yours, but the decreased weight will give him an advantage there.

next time he said that you dont know how to drive it, suggest letting someone else with "greater" skill then you drive it. prefferably a friend of yours. sure it may be someone else behind the wheel, but if you've got a friend with it will atleast pit the cars against each other.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
importluva
Obsessed with imports

don't agree with that at all. how do you explain the ITR, NSX, my car, S2k, and every other honda in the market? I think its the reverse...
Old 06-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #9
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
don't agree with that at all. how do you explain the ITR, NSX, my car, S2k, and every other honda in the market? I think its the reverse...
i dont mean to the enthusiasts... i mean to the people who see a car everyone else likes, and suddenly they want it too.

honda's sell, because they're honda's. known for reliability.

it sounds like this guy got a vette because of the name. if he got it because he really liked the car for all it's worth, he would have gotten a manual.

and... the NSX... i've seen ONE of them on the road... one, and i live in a city of 300,000. the most popular cars i see are mustangs, and civics. mustangs because... well... they're not that expensive, and they've got some power, and torque. the civics, because they are cheap, reliable, huge aftermarket. more then just young people see the light of getting a civic (or many honda's, for that matter)
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #10
FordFromHell351
Banned

My moneys on your Mustang. That was one of the slower years of the Vette. how are your driving skills though?
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:56 PM   #11
DavidM
CF Newbie

It sounds like you have more balls than him girlie23 you'll win hands down

I wish I had the balls to go racing. I get too nervous thinking what would happen to me and my Z3 if I spun out or something
Old 06-21-2005, 11:22 PM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I have a feeling that the Cobra would win, but to be sure, just tell him that you'll race him, and hope he backs down...if he doesn't then race him. Both cars are stock right?
Old 06-22-2005, 01:36 AM   #13
girlie23
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM
It sounds like you have more balls than him girlie23 you'll win hands down

I wish I had the balls to go racing. I get too nervous thinking what would happen to me and my Z3 if I spun out or something

thanks, i try to think so!! i'm not into racing too much. this is the first time anyone has seriously dissed my car though. i love the thing. i bought it because i've always wanted a cobra. granted it's not the fastest out there, but there's always going to be someone faster. proving my car doesn't make me lose sleep at night, but i guess that's the girl in me.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:37 AM   #14
girlie23
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I have a feeling that the Cobra would win, but to be sure, just tell him that you'll race him, and hope he backs down...if he doesn't then race him. Both cars are stock right?

yeah, both are stock
Old 06-22-2005, 01:46 AM   #15
girlie23
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
My moneys on your Mustang. That was one of the slower years of the Vette. how are your driving skills though?

i'm not ashamed to say that my driving skills are beginner. i've never raced it. i've been learning slowly though considering i don't have anyone reliable to help me out.