Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 05:07 AM   #61
Jay-G
Banned
 
Jay-G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ross, California
Posts: 242
because roads have turns and this is where engineering comes into play. Being able to put that power through a turn and come out with that power. It does not tak emuch to put a big engine inside of a crappy, light frame
Jay-G is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 05:22 AM   #62
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-G
because roads have turns and this is where engineering comes into play. Being able to put that power through a turn and come out with that power. It does not tak emuch to put a big engine inside of a crappy, light frame
No, that's wrong. Engineering is in all forms of cars. It takes engineering to make a car go fast in a straight line.
What you're talking about is engineering directed at handling.
If the mustang is faster in a straight line, then it has been better engineered for speed.
Handling vs. speed is a trade-off, or an engineering compromise if you will.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 05:31 AM   #63
Jay-G
Banned
 
Jay-G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ross, California
Posts: 242
no, it means that tehy did not focus at all on handling, and straight line speed does not take much to achieve- look at the viper. THere is a trade-off in american cars, but teh fact is that there does not HAVE to be.
Jay-G is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 05:32 AM   #64
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-G
no, it means that tehy did not focus at all on handling, and straight line speed does not take much to achieve- look at the viper. THere is a trade-off in american cars, but teh fact is that there does not HAVE to be.
If it doesn't take much to achieve straight line speed, and if the Euro engineers are so good, then why is the American cars faster?
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 05:41 AM   #65
Jay-G
Banned
 
Jay-G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ross, California
Posts: 242
interesting that you think the fastest cars come from america, when the fact is that THEY DONT. have you ever heard of teh koenigsegg ccr, fastest car in the world-242 mph, or the previous holder to the top speed title, the mcLaren F1- since '93. or the production car with the fastest 0-60 time, where is that from? oh yeah- italy- the ENZO. how bout quarter mile, up, thats teh enzo too. fastest 0-100, yup, you guessed it , the Enzo.
Jay-G is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 05:42 AM   #66
Jay-G
Banned
 
Jay-G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ross, California
Posts: 242
these cars also handle better than any american car ever made
Jay-G is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #67
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-G
these cars also handle better than any american car ever made
Hey, easy on, I'm just presenting the other side of the case.

Now you're trying to compare apples and oranges again. Of course the Enzo is faster and better handling than the Mustang. It also costs a gazillion times more. We were comparing cars that were in roughly the same class pricewise. You said that the Euro cars had better engineering because they handle better. I say that the American cars are engineered better for speed. Sure, they mightn't handle as well, but you could say that the European cars are slower.

Compromise.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 05:49 AM   #68
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
.
.
I'm getting PM's about this thread...shall I delete the whole of it?

Chime in and let me know....or play nice.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #69
dodger65
I know more than Wally...
 
dodger65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.S. - Midwest
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
.
.
I'm getting PM's about this thread...shall I delete the whole of it?

Chime in and let me know....or play nice.
.
.

you can delete all of the oral diarrhea from jay-g... i can't think of anyone that would mind...
__________________
"Everyone is someone else's weirdo"

dodger65 is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 05:58 AM   #70
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
.
.
I'm getting PM's about this thread...shall I delete the whole of it?

Chime in and let me know....or play nice.
.
.
I'm trying to have a serious discussion/argument with him.... no problems here at the moment.

Keep an eye on it though. It has the potential to erupt again, but it won't be because of me
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 06:00 AM   #71
Jay-G
Banned
 
Jay-G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ross, California
Posts: 242
"then why is the American cars faster?"
you did not spcify that you meant in the $25k price range. I thought you meant in general
Jay-G is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 06:03 AM   #72
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-G
"then why is the American cars faster?"
you did not spcify that you meant in the $25k price range. I thought you meant in general
my bad .... at the time we were talking specifically about the mustang, then you countered with the fact that similar Euro cars handle better.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #73
Jay-G
Banned
 
Jay-G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ross, California
Posts: 242
my whole point behind this is that handling is more important, in terms of racing, adn european cars are usually better in this area. In regards to power, max HP is not the most important stat- as i mentioned earlier, look at the s2000. You mention MSRP- well you cannot buy a mustang anywhere for under 28, which is very close to the price of the s2000. My point with the s2000 was that efficiency and handling are more important than jsut buliding a huge engine.
Jay-G is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 06:14 AM   #74
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-G
my whole point behind this is that handling is more important, in terms of racing, adn european cars are usually better in this area. In regards to power, max HP is not the most important stat- as i mentioned earlier, look at the s2000. You mention MSRP- well you cannot buy a mustang anywhere for under 28, which is very close to the price of the s2000. My point with the s2000 was that efficiency and handling are more important than jsut buliding a huge engine.
When were we talking about racing?
I thought it was that Imports were better than American cars period.
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline  
Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #75
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Jay-G....this is just a theory, but maybe companies like GM put less money into engineering, and they get less money out of selling their cars. Honda puts more money in, gets more money out. If all makes were as reliable as Toyotas and Hondas, then there would be millions of people without cars, because people wouldn't be able to afford them. My parents can't afford to buy a Japanese car. We have a Ford Focus, a Sunbird, and my old $800 Mazda 323. Also, what about the fact that it costs and arm and a leg for Japanese and European parts? American cars are dirt cheap to fix.

What I'm getting at, is yes, in a way you're right about imports being "better". But we need domestics too.

So whatever your point is, it sucks.
Mathew is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.