Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Launching High-Powered Cars

Iím aware that in amateur drag races, some high-powered cars launch in second gear.
Doesnít that mean that they really need a taller first gear?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Iím aware that in amateur drag races, some high-powered cars launch in second gear.
Doesnít that mean that they really need a taller first gear?
Snoope, I'm not sure where you heard that but if it's true it's not at all common. And yes, theoretically you would be correct.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 01:46 AM   #3
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

I saw a second gear launch used by a few people in a competition to find the road legal car with the fastest 0-60mph time in England, which was televised.
Thanks for the reply vwhobo.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
I saw a second gear launch used by a few people in a competition to find the road legal car with the fastest 0-60mph time in England, which was televised.
Thanks for the reply vwhobo.
The reason for that could be inappropriate gearing for the 1/4 mile or 0-60 runs which are somewhat different. Sometimes by doing that you can save a shift on the top end, and time shifting is time not accelerating.

Snoope, some of your many questions are getting harder to answer, this is the second one in two days where I had to see your summary to arrive a the correct answer. It seems to me you're assuming we know what you're after when in fact a little more info up front will make a huge difference.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Well I was thinking that people were launching their cars in second gear to avoid wheel spin. Otherwise it means that they would still need a taller first gear for a 0-60mph sprint.
I apologise for not explaining enough when first asking questions. Thanks for bearing with me vwhobo.