Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Transmission Mishap....

My transmission in my 94' firebird (V6) is fine except for a few things, when i floor it it doesnt shift as soon as it should i have to let off to about 3/4 or 2/4 throttle then if i try to floor it after it shifts it downshifts, I think it is from the clutch not engaging quick enough or somethin. It doesnt grind or anything like that at all, can anybody give me any idea's? Such as what it might be or how much ti would cost to repair it, and having it rebuilt is not an option, ill leave it be if that is the only option.
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
My transmission in my 94' firebird (V6) is fine except for a few things, when i floor it it doesnt shift as soon as it should i have to let off to about 3/4 or 2/4 throttle then if i try to floor it after it shifts it downshifts, I think it is from the clutch not engaging quick enough or somethin. It doesnt grind or anything like that at all, can anybody give me any idea's? Such as what it might be or how much ti would cost to repair it, and having it rebuilt is not an option, ill leave it be if that is the only option.

are you talking about 3rd to 4th gear? b/c if you are, it's that way from the factory. you can buy a part to eliminate that.

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Noooooooooo first gear
Old 06-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Ok... clutch? Shifting itself? You're talking about an automatic, right? Ever check the fluid level? And the TV cable could need adjusting (the throttle valve cable from the engine to the transmission).

There ARE clutch packs inside an automatic transmission, but they don't do what a traditional clutch does, and have no bearing on when the tranny shifts.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

yes my friend's step-dad checked it out and said have it professionally checked out because he said he couldn't loosen it which SHOULD fix the problem, and he said since he couldn't loosen it it may be broken somewhere or somethin? that is rpolly what I will eventually have to have done.