Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
Car pulles to the right ????

Hi my car mercury mystique 2.5liter 24 valve pullles to the right. I wonder what this could be besides my front end being messed up. I had this problem before where the car would like go in one direction to the left but I sometimes it was hard to bring it back to normal. I had the tires rotated and that fixed the problem then but, now it pulles to the right. I was wondering if one of my rims were dented or something. Please post to this I appreciate everyone's words of wisdom lol.really I do.
Fgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
junkinthetrunk
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 14
The axels might be off alighment
junkinthetrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
yeah that is what I was thinking so that is just a simple wheel alignment right. sorry for grammer.
Fgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated
 
97Talonchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgreco
yeah that is what I was thinking so that is just a simple wheel alignment right. sorry for grammer.


I'll answer that....yes.
Were your tires wearing unevenly that you noticed? That's a good way to see if it's out of alignment.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
check the tires for uneven inflation, uneven wear, bulges in the sidewall.

do you notice a 'shimmy' to the car at higher speeds?
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:15 AM   #6
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
my tires are old but, yes my sister who sits in the back says it shimies or goes back and forth or somthing like that when we hit like 60-75 mph. I really dont notice one but they do. My tires are pretty old they have wear out spots on the sides I think but, I need 4 new tires.
Fgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:35 AM   #7
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgreco
my tires are old but, yes my sister who sits in the back says it shimies or goes back and forth or somthing like that when we hit like 60-75 mph. I really dont notice one but they do. My tires are pretty old they have wear out spots on the sides I think but, I need 4 new tires.
Check your alignment, and your tires, but most importantly, check your brake pads. You might have worn them down to far, and there might be little or no pad left, causing the car to pull to one side.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
Check your alignment, and your tires, but most importantly, check your brake pads. You might have worn them down to far, and there might be little or no pad left, causing the car to pull to one side.

didn't really think brake pads would cause that problem when driving...not like there is enough weight there to cause that. Plus they should be wearing down almost evenly on both sides....

but if the tires are pretty bad, you might want to look at that before getting an alignment job. I had a shimmy at highway speeds, but I also had a sidewall bulge. New tires and the thing drives straight as an arrow, I can let the wheel go on the highway for at least a kilometre before it even starts to move.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper
 
BanffAutoSpa_ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Posts: 1,510
yeah i would start with tires, pressure first! then check the wear and the sidewall, if it's a minor bulge IN than thats ok thats where they join the belts togather and probably the strongest part of the tire, but if its a little bulge out or a big bulge OUT then it's hooped and buy new ones, and yeah if the wore really eneven then you have some suspension problems, bald in the middle is probably over inflation of the tire, bald on both cornersis usually under inflation, bald on one side or the other would be camber or toe problems and cupping on the outside is most commonly a shock problem, shocks are the only thing that holds your tire to the road on jounce and bounce and are a commonly overlooked problem, new kick ass shocks make such a nice ride
__________________
Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:44 PM   #10
97Talonchik
discombobulated
 
97Talonchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
yeah i would start with tires, pressure first! then check the wear and the sidewall, if it's a minor bulge IN than thats ok thats where they join the belts togather and probably the strongest part of the tire, but if its a little bulge out or a big bulge OUT then it's hooped and buy new ones, and yeah if the wore really eneven then you have some suspension problems, bald in the middle is probably over inflation of the tire, bald on both cornersis usually under inflation, bald on one side or the other would be camber or toe problems and cupping on the outside is most commonly a shock problem, shocks are the only thing that holds your tire to the road on jounce and bounce and are a commonly overlooked problem, new kick ass shocks make such a nice ride


And balance
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:22 AM   #11
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper
 
BanffAutoSpa_ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Posts: 1,510
ew.... forgot that
__________________
Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:42 AM   #12
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
Thanks guys I think I will look at the tires tomarrow and tell you what I see it looks like they are wearing out on the sides to me but Ill double check and maybe get new tires. 4 to be exact.
Fgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:04 AM   #13
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast
 
nsupra27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 221
Are those similar to the Cougar? Because my sister has a 99 Cougar and her car pulls off to the right sometimes.
__________________
nsupra27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #14
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsupra27
Are those similar to the Cougar? Because my sister has a 99 Cougar and her car pulls off to the right sometimes.


it's universal. doesn't matter what kind of vehicle you drive. I was referring to a 92 sundance in my post, so you can see what i mean.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:29 PM   #15
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
it is raining here in NJ so I will tell you about the tires tomarrow sorry..
Fgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.