Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Transmission Types

Am I right to guess that cars with paddle shifters or sequential stick transmissions can labour but not stall i.e. if someone was driving a car with sequential transmission and stopped in third gear, would it not stall but just labour when they started to accelerate again?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
Am I right to guess that cars with paddle shifters or sequential stick transmissions can labour but not stall i.e. if someone was driving a car with sequential transmission and stopped in third gear, would it not stall but just labour when they started to accelerate again?
Snoope, please restate your question. Me no comprehendo.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

vwhobo, is it the term 'labour' that you don't understand or is it the two types of unconventional transmission that I mentioned that you're not familiar with?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
vwhobo, is it the term 'labour' that you don't understand or is it the two types of unconventional transmission that I mentioned that you're not familiar with?
I simply don't understand the concept of the question.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-03-2004, 11:16 PM   #5
SuperJew
I like pie.

maybe its the "labour" part....i think he means will the engine flat out stall or just strain and not do anything in a SMG style tranny.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 02:14 AM   #6
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

SuperJew, you weren’t far off the mark with what you said about the term ‘labour’. I think you Americans call it ‘lugging’ when a car is actually accelerating but very slowly because the transmission's in too high a gear.
vwhobo, thanks for trying to understand my question so that you could help but I’ve now found the answer to my question - when you come to a standstill in a car with a sequential transmission, it automatically goes back into first gear.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:07 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
SuperJew, you weren’t far off the mark with what you said about the term ‘labour’. I think you Americans call it ‘lugging’ when a car is actually accelerating but very slowly because the transmission's in too high a gear.
vwhobo, thanks for trying to understand my question so that you could help but I’ve now found the answer to my question - when you come to a standstill in a car with a sequential transmission, it automatically goes back into first gear.
Well, sort of. Now that I've seen this post and can put it all into context, the question makes more sense. What you should have asked about is an electronically controlled, partially automated sequential transmission. Then your answer is most likely correct.

I know you're familiar with motorcycles and most of them have sequential transmissions. How many downshift to first when you stop? Not many. A sequential trans in a car is no different... Unless it's electronically controlled and partially automated.

Why were you guys stuck on my ability to understand the word "labour"? It was never an issue for me?

Old 02-04-2004, 03:25 AM   #8
lectroid
0000?

Why were you guys stuck on my ability to understand the word [B]"labour"? [/b] I guess because we don't use that spelling over on this side of the pond. Nothing political
Old 02-04-2004, 04:08 AM   #9
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Why were you guys stuck on my ability to understand the word [B]"labour"? [/b] I guess because we don't use that spelling over on this side of the pond. Nothing political

note that it was vwhobo who said that.....

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 01:19 PM   #10
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

vwhobo wrote: -
"I know you're familiar with motorcycles and most of them have sequential transmissions. How many downshift to first when you stop? Not many. A sequential trans in a car is no different... Unless it's electronically controlled and partially automated."

Motorbikes have clutches though. Are you saying that cars with manual sequential transmissions have clutch pedals?
Old 02-04-2004, 02:29 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
"I know you're familiar with motorcycles and most of them have sequential transmissions. How many downshift to first when you stop? Not many. A sequential trans in a car is no different... Unless it's electronically controlled and partially automated."

Motorbikes have clutches though. Are you saying that cars with manual sequential transmissions have clutch pedals?
You're assuming that because modern high dollar, high tech cars such as a Ferrari or Lamborghini have electronically controlled, partially automated sequential transmission (there's those words again), that all sequential transmissions have an automatic clutch. Unfortunately sequential transmissions have been around a long time and most are fully manual, you guessed it, just like a motorcycle.

Actually if you read your own question above, you've already answered it when you typed "manual sequential transmissions have clutch pedals".

Old 02-04-2004, 07:01 PM   #12
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

"You're assuming that because modern high dollar, high tech cars such as a Ferrari or Lamborghini have electronically controlled, partially automated sequential transmission (there's those words again), that all sequential transmissions have an automatic clutch."

That’s exactly where the problem with understanding was… only my assumption was actually going on an advert for a Citroen C2 VTR rather than cars that are too expensive for me to want buy even if I could afford one.

"Unfortunately sequential transmissions have been around a long time and most are fully manual, you guessed it, just like a motorcycle.
Actually if you read your own question above, you've already answered it when you typed "manual sequential transmissions have clutch pedals"."

Yeah, I thought so.

Thanks again buddy.