Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
thedukesof919
CF Newbie

Talking restore?

i have read through this forum tons of times but this is my first time to post. i was thinking of restoreing a 1969 dodge charger r/t and also turing it into a the general lee from the dukes of hazzard. i have found a good sight online to order the spec. parts like the fake roll bar, push bar, decals, ect. i was wondering if you guys could give me any hints that could help me or any good information thanks
thedukesof919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

That sounds pretty good. I have always thought about doing that myself and trying to make it as close as possible (including gas cap, attenna, cb (maybe), etc). I dont really know what i'm supposed to say but i think its a good idea and would be pretty cool.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

make sure to introduce yourself in the intro section

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
thedukesof919
CF Newbie

yea

yea go to www.buildagenerallee.com it has all the parts to buy to get it as close as possible to the org. some people i know think it is rasict but i dont think so it is a classic car
Old 06-30-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedukesof919
yea go to www.buildagenerallee.com it has all the parts to buy to get it as close as possible to the org. some people i know think it is rasict but i dont think so it is a classic car

hmmm, thats borderline advertising, considering your new, but seeing as its a link for a resource, i'm sure they won't care too much...
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #6
thedukesof919
CF Newbie

aww my mistake i was just trying to help out car crazy89 if he wanted to redo a general lee
Old 06-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I'll put in my $.02. Don't forget about the mechanical, take your time, ask questions and most of all have fun.

Looking good is great, but don't forget that it also has to stop and there's nothing that will make you feel like a fool worse than being out in public and the engine wont crank or spits and pops and smokes. There's more to a restoration than just the paintjob and the stickers.

Don't rush into it. Plan it all out, get you budget in order and then turn wrenches. Try not to go deeper into the restoration than you can afford. Build it to suit your needs and budget.

Ask for help when you need it and keep a smile on your face. If it turns into a job instead of a hobby, you won't be happy with the end product.

Hope that helps.
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
FordFromHell351
Banned

Good luck finding a 69 Charger R/T. Theyre not nearly as rare as a R/T Challenger, but theyre hella hard to find. I wouldnt do the Dukes of Hazard bit, I would just try and keep it original.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
thedukesof919
CF Newbie

yea a friend of my family owns a car garage in raleigh so i have the tools and knowledge and i also have taken autoshop all 4 years i was in highschool so that helps. i know it will take a while but it will be a work of love