Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
Phantom1500
CF Newbie

1994 Dodge Intrepid Transmission Help

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with a problem i've been having. I have a 1994 Intrepid and recently the car has been having transmission issues. When i start the car and it's cold outside and don't warm up for at least 20 minutes, the car starts going and when the automatic is ready to shift, the transmission just stalls. Hitting the gas a bunch of times seems to have it catch again and it goes and doesn't have the problem anymore. Just when you start. This has happened everytime i start driving recently, i would greatly appreciate if anyone knows what this is. Is this a simple fix, or the whole transmission is starting to go? Thanks in advance
Phantom1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:06 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom1500
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with a problem i've been having. I have a 1994 Intrepid and recently the car has been having transmission issues. When i start the car and it's cold outside and don't warm up for at least 20 minutes, the car starts going and when the automatic is ready to shift, the transmission just stalls. Hitting the gas a bunch of times seems to have it catch again and it goes and doesn't have the problem anymore. Just when you start. This has happened everytime i start driving recently, i would greatly appreciate if anyone knows what this is. Is this a simple fix, or the whole transmission is starting to go? Thanks in advance
I have no idea what you mean when you say "when the automatic is ready to shift, the transmission just stalls". I'm not even sure what you mean by "it's cold outside and don't warm up for at least 20 minutes". Better explanations lead to better solutions.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:06 AM   #3
Fosgate3410
CF Newbie

i know your pain

my friend has a plymoth and if its cold out he has to wait for his tran to warm up. But the only thing i can say it that you baught a dodge so you made the choice and now you have to deal with it. sorry.
Fosgate3410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Good one Fosgate3410 Such a helpful reply. Just by reading your four posts so far I can tell that you're going to be a real asset to the forums.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:15 AM   #5
rharri
CF Newbie

Just maybe.....

Quote:

Is this an automatic? check the fluid level. May need to replace the filter and of course the fluid also. Have you had any work done on this lately before this started?
Is this a manual trans? Ensure you have enough fluid and that it's manufacturers recommended type.
signed "no expert" Rharri
rharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:21 PM   #6
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I have no idea what you mean when you say "when the automatic is ready to shift, the transmission just stalls". I'm not even sure what you mean by "it's cold outside and don't warm up for at least 20 minutes". Better explanations lead to better solutions.

You know exactly what he is talking about.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:54 AM   #7
Phantom1500
CF Newbie

It's an automatic. The fluid levels are fine, i checked them. I am going to replace filters and fluid and see what happens. I am not sure if it's the fluid freezing, cause now it's warmer and it still happens. Thanks for the help everyone, i greatly appreciate it.
Phantom1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:57 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
It's an automatic. The fluid levels are fine, i checked them. I am going to replace filters and fluid and see what happens. I am not sure if it's the fluid freezing, cause now it's warmer and it still happens. Thanks for the help everyone, i greatly appreciate it.
You want us to beleive that after letting this post sit for a month you actually appreciate it? Sure ya do.

What ever gave you the idea that automatic transmission fluid is going to freeze? The things you type simply make no sense. Please help me to understand.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote