Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Need Help, Car's computer messed up

Hey everyone I jsut recently took my 1994 V6 Firebird to have it's fuel injectors cleaned because I sometimes smell gasoline and the car acted like it wanted to stall sometimes at red lights, well I had them cleaned and the guy at the dealership liked my car so he ran some simple tests on my car. He founbd out the computer in ym car has 6 different codes somehow and he said that is what is attributing to lal the backfiring I get when trying to stay at a steady speed, as well as my transmission shifting dumbly sometimes. I was wondering if I can have my computer reset rather than going and buying a new one and having it put in, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:48 AM   #2
Mx3Kid
CF Newbie

Yea you can get the codes cleared and if thier is any updates for your computer have them put them in too. not to mention the gasy smell might have been the O-rings(2) around the injectors goin bad and leakin gas. also the updates might take care of your tranny problems. it helps when u kno what the codes are for also.
Mx3Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3Kid
it helps when u kno what the codes are for also.

yes, do tell us what the codes are...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:28 AM   #4
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Hey everyone I jsut recently took my 1994 V6 Firebird to have it's fuel injectors cleaned because I sometimes smell gasoline and the car acted like it wanted to stall sometimes at red lights, well I had them cleaned and the guy at the dealership liked my car so he ran some simple tests on my car. He founbd out the computer in ym car has 6 different codes somehow and he said that is what is attributing to lal the backfiring I get when trying to stay at a steady speed, as well as my transmission shifting dumbly sometimes. I was wondering if I can have my computer reset rather than going and buying a new one and having it put in, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Tony?
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Tony?

Yes who is this?, btw thanks, and I don't know the codes I would have to have it uflly checked out for like 90 dollars or some shit so.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #6
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Yes who is this?, btw thanks, and I don't know the codes I would have to have it uflly checked out for like 90 dollars or some shit so.

My names Josh. I was in Shawn with the red Probes passenger seat when we saw u at Target the other day. I remember you talking about this on the 4th.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
My names Josh. I was in Shawn with the red Probes passenger seat when we saw u at Target the other day. I remember you talking about this on the 4th.

Yes hey dude wats up
Old 07-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Also my car backfires a ton when i try to go a steady speed, and it idles real bad when i try to just og at a steady speed rpessing on the pedal, but when cruise control is on it backfires less and it doesnt idle real abd at that speed, I'm thinking the O rings prolyl are goin bad but I wonder how many of these prob;lems can be caused by my car's computer and the O rings, hopefully all of them but I don't know.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

*Bump*
Old 07-10-2005, 11:43 PM   #10
dodger65

Quote:
*Bump*

right, *bump* now what are the codes? check your fuel pressure and look for vacuum leaks...

Old 07-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
right, *bump* now what are the codes? check your fuel pressure and look for vacuum leaks...

I just went today to autozone to have it tested and get the codes, and they said they couldn't because they codes didn't flash, so I will jsut have to wait until tomorrow and call brandon (the guy who originally said those codes were there) and see how he got those codes or what he did to get them.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:31 AM   #12
radioman2003
CF Newbie

The reason Autozone cannot get the codes, is more than likely, that the codereader is an ODBII, 1994 vehicles are not. You need a professional code reader like a Snap-On or the like, or you may be able to get the codes by shorting out the test plug wherethe code reader goes. I don't know about GM, but shorting the test wire on a Ford will give you a flashing code on the MIL light.
radioman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:22 AM   #13
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman2003
The reason Autozone cannot get the codes, is more than likely, that the codereader is an ODBII, 1994 vehicles are not. You need a professional code reader like a Snap-On or the like, or you may be able to get the codes by shorting out the test plug wherethe code reader goes. I don't know about GM, but shorting the test wire on a Ford will give you a flashing code on the MIL light.

Actually they had an OBI but it was just this little piece of metal they used and they said it should flash the code but it didn't doesn't really matter at the moment because I am going to maryland to work with ym dad for the rest of the summer, should come abck with around 600 dollars and I will just get a full diagnostic on the car and find and fix all the problems then run it through e-check and get the plates and all.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #14
dodger65

Quote:
Actually they had an OBI but it was just this little piece of metal they used and they said it should flash the code but it didn't doesn't really matter at the moment because I am going to maryland to work with ym dad for the rest of the summer, should come abck with around 600 dollars and I will just get a full diagnostic on the car and find and fix all the problems then run it through e-check and get the plates and all.

i didn't think of that... the 94's were a weird crossover year where they had the obdI plug, but not the self diagnostic capability... (just dealt w/ that on a 94 century) once again, check your fuel pressure...

Old 07-12-2005, 05:58 PM   #15
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
i didn't think of that... the 94's were a weird crossover year where they had the obdI plug, but not the self diagnostic capability... (just dealt w/ that on a 94 century) once again, check your fuel pressure...

How do I check my fuel Pressure?