Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2005, 07:54 AM   #16
Guns_10
CF Newbie

if i throw a 20b 3 rotar motor in there, would i still have to replace all the electronics and stuff? or would i have to go through any of the othe complications of engine swaps like replacing the engine harness and what not?
would it be easyer to buy another 13b and put another lower milage engine in?
Guns_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #17
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns_10
if i throw a 20b 3 rotar motor in there, would i still have to replace all the electronics and stuff? or would i have to go through any of the othe complications of engine swaps like replacing the engine harness and what not?
would it be easyer to buy another 13b and put another lower milage engine in?

The 20b swap into my girlfriends car was not easy. (Assuming you can find someone who CAN actually swap one in)The swap will run you in the $5k-$6k range. It's not cheap and pretty complicated.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #18
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Honestly, the easiest swap for you would just be a lower mileage 13b. Both the cosmo and the LS1/LT1 would take a lot of work.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #19
Guns_10
CF Newbie

im a real big fan of the ls1 swap, if i did that, would it throw the cars 50/50 balance off? im gonna be doing it myself with a few buddys help, how much am i lookin to spend? and what exactaly am i gonna have to do, will i have to replace the transmission as well?
Guns_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:48 AM   #20
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

The Rx-7's biggest advantage is it's light weight and balance, why would you want to ruin that by putting an LS1 in it?

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #21
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns_10
im a real big fan of the ls1 swap, if i did that, would it throw the cars 50/50 balance off? im gonna be doing it myself with a few buddys help, how much am i lookin to spend? and what exactaly am i gonna have to do, will i have to replace the transmission as well?

It doesnt ruin the balance at all. In fact the LS1 is lighter from what I've read than a 13b-rew.

www.hinsonsupercars.com

All the info there.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #22
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
The Rx-7's biggest advantage is it's light weight and balance, why would you want to ruin that by putting an LS1 in it?

wrong....

It doesnt ruin the balance or lightweight at all...

Take a trip to hinsonsupercars.com and read the FAQ's.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior

*sigh* gone over this many many times. it does NOT change teh weight balance negatively. In some cases it actually improves slightly to 49/51 f/r 9a slight rearward bias is actually better for handling."

As i've asked on other boards... The Sport model weighs 2600 lbs stock. the GXL wiighs 2780 lbs stock. the TII weighs 2850 lbs stock. Sice they are all same from the firewall back, which version, exactly has a 50/50 weight distribution?

In fact, the TII has more weight on the nose than the LT1/LS1/Ford 302 swap.

Remember, due to the design of the chassis, any engine except the 20B actually sits behind teh front wheel centerline, so they add weight (when they add it) to both ends of the car. My personal Ford 302 swap ended up weiging 2720 lbs woithout any effort to lighten it. Since it weighs LESS than a TII, and is the same from the firewall back, where did the TII have more weight?

My personal swap cost me les than $2500 to get a daily driver engine that had close to 400 hp. the LS1 costs more, but has more power in completely stock form. Unstressed. Reliable. And retains all the handling the RX7 was known for. Seriously.

My car:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/rex1.MPG

An LT1 version:

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #24
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Like was said, the FC is a light, balanced chassis regardless of engine. It's a GREAT looking car regardless of engine. It's a well built car regardless of engine. How come all teh rotards can see in the CAR is the effin' engine??????

I often find rotards that think the only good thing about an FC is the engine. Apparently they think the rest of the car is a POS that only exists to give the rotary something to move around.

That attitude completely ignores the fact that the FC is lighter, looks better, is better built, has better brakes, looks better, has better ergonomics, is smaller, looks better, has a better interior, better suspension, looks better, etc... the FC is numerous, cheap, easy to get, and unlike a lot of swaps, is dirt easy to do as the engine compartment accepts the V8 as though it was designed to be there. And the chassis carries the engine in such a way that it simply doesn't change the balance that the original car had, due to how far back it sits."

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-15-2005, 04:01 AM   #25
importluva
Obsessed with imports

quick question here...why would anyone want to go back to pistons after experiencing rotary smoothness and simplicity?
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #26
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

hey, if money's no problem then go with a 20BTT, send it to PAC PERFORMANCE in melbourne or QLD and give them $20k to fool around with.... 450kw later....

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #27
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
quick question here...why would anyone want to go back to pistons after experiencing rotary smoothness and simplicity?

Not everyone wants a rebuild every 100k miles.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:43 PM   #28
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva

Torque? Reliability at elevated power levels? Lower cost for the same hp levels?

Seriously, high power rotaries are fun. I've had many. I raced this car in rotary form for a year before it died. I've rebuilt rotaries on my kitchen table (don't do that if married or living with your parents... just a friendly head's up..)

I wanted something that 300+hp rotaries did not give back in '93: torque and daily driver reliability. Most guys doing the swaps have already rebuilt a number of high power rotaries and are tired of it. And, to be honest, as nice as a stock rotary sounds, I was rather tired of the way modified ones sounded. A high power rotary (especially an N/A one) sounds like a chainsaw right next to your head.

And back when my stock 145 hp N/A 13B died, it was going to cost over $2500 to rebuild it to stock 145 hp form, and making more than 200hp from the N/A one would make it very unreliable. The next option was a turbo 13B, which would have cost a minimum of $3000 to put in in stock form, and to get more than 200 hp would have cost almost double that. A 20B was going to be a minimum of $10k at the time (and the average to get a 20BT finished at the time was about $25k!!!!). So while I was looking at my empty engine bay, two things happened at the same time. I noticed how HUGE my empty engine bay was, and my buddy offered me his built up 302 from his race car, becasue he was going big block. An engine that had cost him $3000 to build for $1000, and I could pay him $100 a month for it. Sold!

I had HAD built-up rotaries. I had an R100, RX2, 2 RX3s, 2 first gen RX7s (one with a bridgeported early 13B) and this FC in rotary form. I had crewed for team running an IMSA RS RX3 and a rotary powered Formula Libre and helped a friend build his RX3 race car and an RX2 SCCA rallye car. I simply wanted something different and unique from this project.

So I built a more modern Cobra Daytona Coupe for about $2500 with almost 400 hp and similar levels of torque. And I had the car like that for the next 5 years on the street and on the track, without having to rebuild it.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-15-2005, 02:49 PM   #29
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyundaGuy
hey, if money's no problem then go with a 20BTT, send it to PAC PERFORMANCE in melbourne or QLD and give them $20k to fool around with.... 450kw later....

The problem is if money's no problem you start with a different car. We use FCs because you can get a dead one for under $500. I already HAD mine, bought and paid for on a $7/hour job. Money was definitely an issue.

And you know, the 20B turbo does the one thing to the car that rotards think the V8 does: it puts more weight over the nose and upsets the balance of the car. So now you've spent $20k on the engine, and more to install it, and you end up with a car that has about the same power as a barely modded $3000 LS1, and you've actually made the balance worse than the LS1 conversion. Might as well that that $20k and light it on fire and watch the dollar bills burn.

Oh, and if you use it regularly, you'll probably have to rebuild the 20BTurbo annually.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-16-2005, 01:07 AM   #30
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
The problem is if money's no problem you start with a different car. We use FCs because you can get a dead one for under $500. I already HAD mine, bought and paid for on a $7/hour job. Money was definitely an issue.

And you know, the 20B turbo does the one thing to the car that rotards think the V8 does: it puts more weight over the nose and upsets the balance of the car. So now you've spent $20k on the engine, and more to install it, and you end up with a car that has about the same power as a barely modded $3000 LS1, and you've actually made the balance worse than the LS1 conversion. Might as well that that $20k and light it on fire and watch the dollar bills burn.

Oh, and if you use it regularly, you'll probably have to rebuild the 20BTurbo annually.

i'm not gonna argue with that!! lol, i was just sayin' it to sound smart..

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote