Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2005, 02:14 AM   #1
triggerman
CF Newbie

Cool Oil Pressure Gauge

Good day......

I have a '94 Toyota Corolla with the 1.6L 4a-fe engine and I'm wondering how difficult it is to install an oil pressure gauge. If it isn't overly complicated could someone please give me some instructions on how to install one. Thanks
triggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

If you are talking about your gauge in the instrument panel, it looks like there's an awful lot of things you will have to disconnect just to get to it....one being the airbags. Have you checked the wiring to make sure the connector hasn't broken off the oil pump? I had that happen on my old car and wasn't able to get readings on my gauge.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
triggerman_2112
CF Newbie

Angry

First off yes i know this is technically my first post but I had to create a new account because I cannot remember my password. Secondly my internet account has been suspended so i cannot send/receive email.

Carrying on, no I am not talking about that little light on the instrument cluster. I want to install an actual gauge which displays a number. Not a stupid little light that tells me there is a minute amount of oil pressure left.
triggerman_2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:56 AM   #4
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Kits are available @ most auto parts places. The sending unit will have to be changes as well as some wiring will need to be pulled through the firewall. The kit should include instructions.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #5
triggerman_2112
CF Newbie

Where would the sending unit be? and do i have to keep the stock sending unit attached somehow?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
carls47807
CF Freak

you can usually run a NPT "tee" off the old one and splice them both in to the same line. the kit will come with a plastic tube that runs through the firewall into the back of the gauge and your OE unit will be as it was before.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #7
triggerman_2112
CF Newbie

i've been reading about mechanical vs. electrical, wouldnt the electrical gauge be much easier to install since i dont have to drill a hole and run a tube through the firewall? and where is the sender unit on the car?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:38 AM   #8
carls47807
CF Freak

this is all just a guess as i don't know much about the particular vehicle...

but if it came factory with a gauge you could hook it up electrically. since it just had a light the sending unit (oil pressure switch) probably won't be compatible with your gauge and will give you a false reading/no reading at all.
i've put tons of them in the small block chevy's, i know they are a piece of cake, and quite accurate when you use the tube.

good luck though :O)
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote