Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
elchango36
WWJCD

advice/opinion on 94 civic hatch

hey guys it's me again, this time with a whole different question. So my neighbor is selling his 94 honda civic hatchback for an extremelly good price. I want to know a couple of things. The car itself has been through tons of mods. The biggest mod is a nice new 4 cyc engine from japan (not sure what kind, just know that its huge). the car sounds like its gonna need a new clutch aprt from other things. Some things look a little questionable (some naked wiring under the hood, miles on the dash read 198,000). I want to know, A.) what kind of questions should I ask about a car that has been modified other than the usual pre-buyer questions. B.) How reliable is a small car with a small height on long trips (I go to school in Carbondale which is 5.5 hours{70mph} away from Chicago). C.)What should I look out for. D.)Roughly how much would replacing the clutch cost me. E.) is it worth it or should I just stay with my 3rd gen completely stock at the moment Toyota Camry?
BTW THe car looks SICK!!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Ask him what engine is swapped in, then take it for a test drive.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
elchango36
WWJCD

I saw him pull out today...he floored it an with every shift the tires would spin out...too much horsepower...I like!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
I saw him pull out today...he floored it an with every shift the tires would spin out...too much horsepower...I like!!!!!!

How old are you?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD

ill be 20 in november
Old 07-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
ill be 20 in november

Okay, old enough to have experience behind the wheel, I would take it but it will probably need new suspension and brakes if the chassis has 194,000 miles. Unless he changed them it should be fine. A clutch usually costs 200 to 300 dollars and then like 200-400 for labor(or atleast thats how much I charge)
Old 07-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
elchango36
WWJCD

If i decide to put a new suspension should I lift it a little?? Its really short and I know for a fact it scrapes in speed bumps.???
Old 07-12-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
If i decide to put a new suspension should I lift it a little?? Its really short and I know for a fact it scrapes in speed bumps.???

Lift it at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches
Old 07-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #9
elchango36
WWJCD

aaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!

Okay...Now I've gotten way ahead of myself here...Assume the car has problems i dont know about... What should I look out for??? This guy's a mechanic...so he does all his mods. Also, he's been through more cars than I will probably ever own. The nicest ones I could rember was an AE86, Two other HOnda civic Hatchbacks, and one very fast mx5. He gets different cars because he either gets good offers, he trades them, or he fawks something up becasue of his mods(like the last civic he had... he dropped a 98 integra engine in it and blow out his transmission and a bunch of other things that he didn't feel it was worth fixing...so he sold it). I don't want to get stuck with something that I Have to take to some guys shop out in the middle of nowhere. Remember, Ill be in Carbondale most of the time and there's like three car shops in town. Not to mention I dont want it to break down on one of my trips back to the CHI. The car's really cool, but I dont want to inherit some guys problems. How can I make sure of this?????
Old 07-12-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Okay...Now I've gotten way ahead of myself here...Assume the car has problems i dont know about... What should I look out for??? This guy's a mechanic...so he does all his mods. Also, he's been through more cars than I will probably ever own. The nicest ones I could rember was an AE86, Two other HOnda civic Hatchbacks, and one very fast mx5. He gets different cars because he either gets good offers, he trades them, or he fawks something up becasue of his mods(like the last civic he had... he dropped a 98 integra engine in it and blow out his transmission and a bunch of other things that he didn't feel it was worth fixing...so he sold it). I don't want to get stuck with something that I Have to take to some guys shop out in the middle of nowhere. Remember, Ill be in Carbondale most of the time and there's like three car shops in town. Not to mention I dont want it to break down on one of my trips back to the CHI. The car's really cool, but I dont want to inherit some guys problems. How can I make sure of this?????

Do a Carfax history report or you can ask him since he is your neighbor, and he can do the repairs if it does break down
Old 07-12-2005, 10:05 PM   #11
elchango36
WWJCD

how??? Hes in Chicago...Im in Carbondale.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #12
99integra
CF's Florida boy

You said he was your neighbor
Old 07-12-2005, 10:17 PM   #13
elchango36
WWJCD

Yes...here in Chicago. But I go to school at Southern Illinois University. IT's in Carbondale. I'll be there in the fall and he will be here in Chicago.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #14
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Yes...here in Chicago. But I go to school at Southern Illinois University. IT's in Carbondale. I'll be there in the fall and he will be here in Chicago.

Oh okay
Old 07-13-2005, 01:10 AM   #15
chris1017
CF Newbie

ask him to be honest about any problems he thinks it has, if he is a good neighbor he should be honest, which is more than what you will get buying a used car anywhere elese.

chris
chris1017 is offline   Reply With Quote