Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Whats the Main Reason You Would Lower Your Car?
To Make It Sit Pretty 4 20.00%
To Make It Perform Better 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

What Kind of Enthusiast R U?

I just wanted to know what kind of people frequent this forum so i posted this poll?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Oomba
Banned

All about the power, no ricer blood in me, pal.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Well, I wouldn't lower my car but if I did, it would be for #2.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
fudge
let's fighting love

I'm not going to conform so I chose #1 .

But honestly I like both looks and performance.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Yah but this forum is to see which one comes first. None of this well i like both.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
fudge
let's fighting love

It doesn't have to be like that. You enjoy cars a lot more if you don't have to choose one or the other.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
It doesn't have to be like that. You enjoy cars a lot more if you don't have to choose one or the other.
I agree....I've passed that Boy Racer stage myself lol....nothing I like more than a bit of power though......styling is important to me......but 'natural; styling....not suped up styling (the Boy Racer type! )

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge

Ding!

Customs have been around for decades. Hot rods have been around as long. Why is it so importnat to say that one is more importnat? On the street most cars are already fast enough to be illegal, so why not make them visually stand out from the tens of thousands of other identical mass produced machines?

Would you specifically BUY an ugly car? Even if it was fast, would you buy an Aztek looking like it does?

Most of us choose cars that look good to us, whether they are fast already, or can be made to be fast. A visual change makes a big difference every time you look at the car in your driveway.

I'm not talking about making your car LOOK like a race car wthout being one. that IS rice. But making your car look a little better to you or concentrating on teh visuals becaeu you KNOW it's not going to be a race car (becaeuse not every car in teh world needs to be a race car) doesnt' make it rice.

Some cars I buy/build specifically to go fast. But they have to look good, too. Some cars I buy/build specifcally to look good or look unique, and they can be fast, too.

I've built a 600 hp 460 powered Fox Mustang that was plenty quick. I built a nearly 400 hp V8 RX7 that was also plenty quick and looked good (with a ton of time and effort spent on body and paint). And my current '63 Mercury Comet convertible project has no need of being fast at all, as it will never see a race track. So while it will have a custom V8 in it detailed to look and sound good, I don't need to make a ton of power with it.

So what kind of enthusiast am I? One that doesnt divide the world up into black and white, that doesn't say either/or, one that doesn't say "I don't have enough brain power to appreciate more than one genre of car." In other words, a well rounded, highly experienced enthusiast.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I agree....I've passed that Boy Racer stage myself lol....nothing I like more than a bit of power though......styling is important to me......but 'natural; styling....not suped up styling (the Boy Racer type! )

What's "natural?" We're talking about mass produced compromises that look th eway they do due to a comiteee trying to make it differnt than other products AND meet federal or international regulations on bumper height, lighting, visibility, safety, etc. And very few of them look like the original designers intended anyhow due to the engineering realities of building them in whatever era they are from.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:39 PM   #10
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

While I do like to have my car look good, Id rather have a pile of junk that is EXTREMLY fast than something that looks good but is s..l..o..w.

As far as styling goes, I agree with cliffy. I want it to look good, but I don't want it to be exttremly modified. Something that just accents the natural car, not something that changes it all together.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:38 AM   #11
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Performance all the way!! If you do it for looks, your car might not look so good after the bumpers scrape all over the place anyway.
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

I was just thinking about this very thing on the way home from work yesterday (honest).

1. You can make a car look good without it being "rice" (ref to oomba's post)
2. I very much appreciate the technical aspects of making a car perform well.
3. I'm not a racer, be it illegal on the street, or legal on the track - so do I really need the power?

So, as you can see, I have some conflicting views, but when it comes down to it .... on my own car, am I more likely to spend money making it look good or perform better? probably look good. I think ChrisV put it very well when he said "On the street most cars are already fast enough to be illegal".

However, for someone who races their car, cosmetics shouldn't take the place of function.

I think what Cliffy and ChrisV were both saying when talking about natural styling and rice styling is - go for understated, classic looks, don't just add massive bodykits that indicate the car needs masses of ground force to get the power to the ground. For example, my car has factory skirts - they aren't going to improve performance, but they do improve the stance of the car, without looking like a tacked on race-car kit.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:54 AM   #13
Oomba
Banned

As far as looks go, nothing can beat stock. Modifying the look of a car is a desperate cry for attention. And has anyone ever heard of the word "sleeper" these days? Sheesh.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #14
fudge
let's fighting love

So what about concours and car shows?

Sleepers are good but it gets boring if all cars are sleepers. I like variety in cars as it makes it interesting.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #15
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
...1. You can make a car look good without it being "rice"...
duh, just look at the car in my sig....

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote