Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
onebadkustom
Banned

302 Small Block T.V. Cable HELP!!

Hey guys... I have an 89 ranger with a 302 small block in it. It has a Edelbrock 600 carburator. I am running the AOD Tranny and I have the Lokar Bracket set up for the T.V. (kickdown cable)....

I need a general description on what to do to set up the correct line pressure to shift good and not be too loose so it doesnt burn the tranny up. It came with directions but they are so bull shit and require the weirdest ass tools that we DONT have and are not going to buy for some redicilous price.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Old 07-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
talonracing
CF Newbie

wOOt

if u have it set on there. it should be fine.
talonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:05 AM   #3
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonracing
if u have it set on there. it should be fine.

Great advice you idiot...lol.

I don't know exactly what type of adjustment you have...but, a stock AOD should shift around 1300-1500rpm under light throttle, possibly even a little lower. That is fine but when you're in overdrive and punch it, the tranny will hesitate for a moment or two and you'll be lucky if it'll drop to 2nd. The best adjustment, I've found, is to have it a little tighter than it should be...almost tricking the trans into thinking you're in the throttle more than you are. You want to tighten it up a little at a time...an 1/8th inch will be a big difference here. Adjust it a little bit, then road test it....get it into overdrive turning about 1500rpm and nail the gas...if it doesn't drop into 2nd gear almost immediately, you will need more adjustment...like I said only make small adjustments at a time. Any problems let me know...feel free to PM me.

-Don

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Don's advice is the best. it only takes SMALL adjustments. Too tight and it shifts all the time, hunting around. Too loose and it won't shift at all, and the difference is often only one or two turns of the adjuster. the only real way to do it is to do exactly like he says, and test drive it inbetween adjustments until it works like you want.

That's how I had to do it when I custom made the TV lever (mine had a solid bar) on my carbed 302 w/AOD in my RX7.

Wish Lokar had the adaptor back in '93 when I made mine. Would have been so much simpler.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
onebadkustom
Banned

Thanks for the advice... that is what we figured but wanted to be sure. Just have to wait to get it out and test it.

Thanks..

Lokar is GREAT!! but Expensive
onebadkustom is offline   Reply With Quote