Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
Oomba
Banned

1984 Trans-Am

So I'm getting a 1984 Trans-Am with a manual transmission from my dad's friend for $2000 in a month or two. What do you guys think I should do to it? I'm thinking blower, but im open to suggestions.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
frizzal
CF Newbie

wow, slow down killer. first things first. before you go and put a blower on an engine you have to get said engine into shape. my first thought is to rebuild the engine first so you know what you are working with. put only the best into it. that way you will have no problems when you start attaching things such as blowers. also you have to make sure your clutch and the rest of the drive train is in the same prestine condition so you dont have to replace anything. i would hate to hear you getting into an accident because your tranny took a shit and locked up on you. its a good car but you have to take the proper steps to performance. but thats my
Old 07-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
Oomba
Banned

I know all about rebuilding and everything, I was just saying I'm probably going to get a supercharger. First things first though, it needs airbags.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
I know all about rebuilding and everything, I was just saying I'm probably going to get a supercharger. First things first though, it needs airbags.

And exactly what kind of supercharger and how much money you got? It's a 1984, your gonna have to do more things to it if you put a sc on it, and more things will go wrong with that much horsepower.
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
FordFromHell351
Banned

It has the 305 TPI engine right? That engine by NO MEANS is ready for a blower yet. You need to start thinking about getting more air into that smogged up thing GM called a muscle car Start by taking off and disconnecting your smog pump system, and then get hi performance intake, and exhaust components for it.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:03 AM   #6
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

It'll be emmissions exempt will it not (20 years and older), so maybe you can just lose the smog system/controls all together, it'll also make more space under the hood too. Sounds like a not bad car though and good plans for it, its a start.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I would say make it handle and then have power, but if there is no handling, what is the point of going fast
Old 07-15-2005, 03:06 AM   #8
Oomba
Banned

Well i dont really plan on taking corners or anything like that at high speeds. It will be something i do, but later on.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:27 AM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
It'll be emmissions exempt will it not (20 years and older), so maybe you can just lose the smog system/controls all together, it'll also make more space under the hood too. Sounds like a not bad car though and good plans for it, its a start.

Are you positive because I thought the older they were the more strict the emissions test is as the older cars can pollute the air more and they worry mroe about them.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:42 AM   #10
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Are you positive because I thought the older they were the more strict the emissions test is as the older cars can pollute the air more and they worry mroe about them.
I thought it was something along the lines of "we're not as strict on cars that were built before the standards came in, but you can't deliberately make it more pollutive".

ps: I am aware that pollutive is probably not a real word.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:57 AM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
I thought it was something along the lines of "we're not as strict on cars that were built before the standards came in, but you can't deliberately make it more pollutive".

ps: I am aware that pollutive is probably not a real word.

I'm really not sure, hopefully one of the great car experts on car forums.com will come in and set us all straight, and it would be nice if he/she found a website to support their claims. thanks in advance
Old 07-15-2005, 04:16 AM   #12
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Oh ya, might be different in Canada, US, Europe, etc. Here anything 20 years and older is emissions exempt so dont have to worry really about it so now anything '85 and older is emissions exempt and next year will be '86 etc.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:24 AM   #13
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oh ya, might be different in Canada, US, Europe, etc. Here anything 20 years and older is emissions exempt so dont have to worry really about it so now anything '85 and older is emissions exempt and next year will be '86 etc.

I see do you know if it is the same for the U.S. too though?
Old 07-15-2005, 04:29 AM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
I see do you know if it is the same for the U.S. too though?
I dont know, i think some may be 25 but i dont know. Where do you live (US, Europe, etc)?

Old 07-15-2005, 04:35 AM   #15
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
I dont know, i think some may be 25 but i dont know. Where do you live (US, Europe, etc)?

Ohio, in the U.S.