Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Vlad
CF Addict

Good deal on a porsche?

I've been looking for a car lately, and I really like the 944.

Heres a 944 turbo I came across:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...3&aff=national

It looks alright, except it doesn't say the mileage. Has a rebuilt engine tho.

When I click on the kbb value link, it puts in the mileage at 96k for some reason, and then it say the retail value for excellent condition is $5,025, and private party for excellent condition is $4,775. They want $5,900. Are they charging too much? Should I call and get the mileage, so I can get a definate blue book value, and take the printout with me and demand they lower the price to 5grand? In general, what would be the mileage you would expect a 944 turbo to last before it dies, assuming regular maintenance?
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

apparently KBB isn't a good reference. That what I got from some ppl on this site. The KBB for a '90 BMW 325ix in fair condition was 2,300 but I was told to expect to pay 4,500 to 7,000. Based on that, it sounds like a good deal, but I don't know much....

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
carls47807
CF Freak

i see a lot of them listed around central new york for about 4 grand. 5900 seems a little high to me. shop around i'm sure you'll find one better than that. as my father always said, let the good deal find you.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #4
Vlad
CF Addict

Maybe in central new york they are worth less or something...I dunno.

But that is all the way across the country for me, so wont really work.

Anyways, I'd probably try to bring the price down to at least $5,000, $4,500 if I could.

I'm still looking at listings though, I'm not set on this one, if anyone knows of some listed online I'd appreciate it if you guys let me know.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Depends, what is the mileage on it
Old 07-15-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

If you are really considering it then it cant hurt to call and ask about mileage. I'm guessing you want cars in your area (online or not).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

What it is going to depend on is how well it has been cared for.

I've looked at 944 turbos in my area and the ones that have been driven regularly with the owner trying to do their own work to them and not particularly well cared for are in the range of that one.

If I were to go look at that car I would expect paint chips, perhaps some dings, the interior worn a bit with signs that the dash had been worked on etc....

The ones that are owned by people who take care of them and perhaps belong to the PCA will be asking around $9,000 - $12,000 for their cars of the same year. These will be your lower mileage cars with a nice coat of wax on them and an interior that is almost showroom new. They will also have all the documentation of whatever was done to the car.

The thing about KBB is that it does not take into consideration very well the desireability of the car. It says that is what the car is worth but in reality the market is filled with people who are willing to pay a bit more to get that car. That's why your 90 BMW lists at one price but actually sells at another. People are willing to pay more for it.

I would expect to have to do some work on a $5900 944 turbo. If you go look at the car and see that it is in better shape then that, buy it.

Basically it comes down to how much is the car worth to you.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:29 AM   #8
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

The best $100.00 or $200.00 you'll ever spend is taking the car you would like to buy to a certified mechanic. Porsche in your case. Have the car looked at from top to bottom!! I wouldn't buy a Porsche or my dream '88 M5 without first doing that.

Regardless of how well maintained a car is...things just don't last forever. Something is actively wearing out.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #9
Vlad
CF Addict

I tried calling the guy, but the phone numbers say "call cannot be completed as dialed".

I'm having trouble finding a 944 turbo...anyone got any suggestions on where to look? Is there a specific site maybe with just porsches for sale?

I really like this car, and want to get one. I can spend no more than $6,000.

I don't expect to get a car with wax on it and with the interior in mint condition for 6k, but I want something in decent, drivable condition.

Say I find a car online a couple hundred miles away, or I buy one on ebay, how would I get the mechanic to inspect it?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:00 AM   #10
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
I tried calling the guy, but the phone numbers say "call cannot be completed as dialed".

I'm having trouble finding a 944 turbo...anyone got any suggestions on where to look? Is there a specific site maybe with just porsches for sale?

I really like this car, and want to get one. I can spend no more than $6,000.

I don't expect to get a car with wax on it and with the interior in mint condition for 6k, but I want something in decent, drivable condition.

Say I find a car online a couple hundred miles away, or I buy one on ebay, how would I get the mechanic to inspect it?

Drive out there and find the nearest Porsche dealer or Porsche cert. Mech...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:21 AM   #11
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race

few years back when i was about 14 i had the chance to buy a porsche 944 turbo, manual, had a fmic, raised boost, boost controller, bov, exhaust, intake and a turbo timer.. they wanted $7k aus for it.. i'm pretty sure that if you could pick one up for $5k aus then you'd be doin' pretty well!

If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The only 944 turbos you'll find under $6k will need work. And it can be expensive work. these cars are desireable, and the prices reflect that. Budget at least $8k for a nice one (or to make a cheaper one useable). The 944 turbo (951) has a reputation for being a bargain supercar, as it's relatively inexpensive (about $5k) to make it incredibly rapid as a track car/daily driver. That reputaion keeps the price up, as even a stock example for $12k becomes a 180 mph, incredibly balanced, reliable, daily driven track day car for a total investment of far less than $20k, which makes it cheaper than any new sports car.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:21 AM   #13
Vlad
CF Addict

Quote:
The only 944 turbos you'll find under $6k will need work. And it can be expensive work. these cars are desireable, and the prices reflect that. Budget at least $8k for a nice one (or to make a cheaper one useable). The 944 turbo (951) has a reputation for being a bargain supercar, as it's relatively inexpensive (about $5k) to make it incredibly rapid as a track car/daily driver. That reputaion keeps the price up, as even a stock example for $12k becomes a 180 mph, incredibly balanced, reliable, daily driven track day car for a total investment of far less than $20k, which makes it cheaper than any new sports car.

Well, my parents said they can probably go up to about 8k on a car, so thats good, I might be able to find a good 944 turbo for that price. I know someone that got one for 7k off ebay and it ran good, he just replaced the timing belt. And I need to find a car FAST, our van went kaput. Finding a 944 turbo quickly will be hard, but I'm gonna keep trying. I still dunno what my second choice is, any ideas? Want something like chrisV said, reliable daily driver that can be taken to a track once and a while and be pretty fast, and not too expensive.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:37 AM   #14
LoganKI
CF Newbie

If you still need to inspect a car long distance, I've heard good thing's about ebay's inspection service:

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/service...nspection.html

It doesn't have to be an ebay car to get the inspection I believe...
LoganKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #15
Vlad
CF Addict

Hey thanks alot, that'll be useful.