Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
Vaspier
CF Newbie

Dart help

Hey, first time here, and yes, i will be returning alot to check up on stuff and post things unlike some people.

I currently have a 69' dart and i love the car. ive spent a while fixing it up and making things work, but for some reason there seems to be a problem with the power supply. when the car is turned on, the lights and alternator gauge seem fine, but after about 3 seconds they start to flicker, never do they shut off, but they dim and brighten, and the gauge is always bouncing up and down. it is not caused by the alternator, its a new one and it did this with the old one as well, so thats fine. i was thinking its a problem with the Voltage regulator. but before i go out and buy a new one i want to see if any of you can think of another reason why it may be doing this.
thanks

Last edited by Vaspier : 02-11-2004 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo
Vaspier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:08 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaspier
Hey, first time here, and yes, i will be returning alot to check up on stuff and post things unlike some people.

I currently have a 69' dart and i love the car. ive spent a while fixing it up and making things work, but for some reason there seems to be a problem with the power supply. when the car is turned on, the lights and alternator gauge seem fine, but after about 3 seconds they start to flicker, never do they shut off, but they dim and brighten, and the gauge is always bouncing up and down. it is not caused by the alternator, its a new one and it did this with the old one as well, so thats fine. i was thinking its a problem with the Voltage regulator. but before i go out and buy a new one i want to see if any of you can think of another reason why it may be doing this.
thanks
Because we don't have enough information to make an educated guess we'll have to let this go for now. Does this only happen at idle, at all engine speeds, accessories on or off, etc.

Very seldom does it hurt to have too much info, but too little is most always a problem.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:05 AM   #3
Vaspier
CF Newbie

sorry. well it happens at all times. idle, reving, moving. anything can be running, and everything can be off, including my stereo, fan and lights, the gauge doesnt seem to go down any further, but it jumps around more when i put it in gear. i think thats because the engine is at a lower RPM when i put it in gear. ah.. just trying to think about anything else. i gave the connections on the Voltage regulator a bit of a clean up with some sand paper to get rid of some crud on it. it seemed to make it jump a little less but i could have been mistaken. not sure what else there is to add.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:18 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
sorry. well it happens at all times. idle, reving, moving. anything can be running, and everything can be off, including my stereo, fan and lights, the gauge doesnt seem to go down any further, but it jumps around more when i put it in gear. i think thats because the engine is at a lower RPM when i put it in gear. ah.. just trying to think about anything else. i gave the connections on the Voltage regulator a bit of a clean up with some sand paper to get rid of some crud on it. it seemed to make it jump a little less but i could have been mistaken. not sure what else there is to add.
Old Mopars tend to have a small power loss at idle simply because the alternator isn't turning fast enough to put out a full 14.2 volts. Old Mopars also tend to have extremely touchy voltmeters.

From your description I seriously doubt it's the voltage regulator. First I would continue down the road you've taken, cleaning/tightening connections throughout the electrical system. Pay attention to the grounds, especially the one for the instrument cluster. If the problem persists I would then check the system on a GOOD starting/charging system tester. I think you'll find with a dampened guage it will smooth out and test good.

One last thing. Don't count out the possibility of a weak battery (possible) or poor connections at the battery (more possible).

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-12-2004, 02:34 AM   #5
lectroid
0000?

]QUOTE=vwhobo]cleaning/tightening connections throughout the electrical system. Pay attention to the grounds,

Pay good attention to every ground point,, these can and will drive you crazy. You can spend a lot of bucks for nothing. Ground points, in my opinion are the most ignored in the electrical of a vehicle
Old 02-12-2004, 02:44 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
]QUOTE=vwhobo]cleaning/tightening connections throughout the electrical system. Pay attention to the grounds,

Pay good attention to every ground point,, these can and will drive you crazy. You can spend a lot of bucks for nothing. Ground points, in my opinion are the most ignored in the electrical of a vehicle
Shhhh! Bad grounds are also a great maker of money.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:48 AM   #7
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Shhhh! Bad grounds are also a great maker of money.

Greedy bastard OH, by the way, your avatar looks like the exact bus that I use to have, GOOD and bad memories. 1966

Last edited by lectroid : 02-12-2004 at 06:45 AM.
lectroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:35 AM   #8
Vaspier
CF Newbie

thanks, when it starts to get warmer here ill fiddle around with the wiring more, too cold right now to be standing outside messing around with wires.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:24 AM   #9
67Pony
CF Newbie

vwhobo, is probably right. During the summer time my Mustang's slant six is prone to overheating and during idling the lights will dim and brighten to the rev of the engine, but when I hit the accelerator its all good. But you might also want to take a look at the electrical. You might have a shorted wire somewhere, or the sleeve of the wire might split, exposing the the actual wire, which also pretty much leads to a short.
67Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #10
72Cutlass442
CF Newbie

Just something quick from personnal experience. Over the years different people own these older cars and have their own idea of what they want in them. That means that stereos are installed and changed along with amps and speakers. Alarm systems as well are put in and taken out. This a lot of times leave "leftovers" from old systems. I had trouble with my Cutlass shutting off and not wanting to run for a couple minutes and then restarting like everything was fine. It drove me nuts until I found out that there was a leftover alarm system with several in-line fuses that were causing the problem. Check your fuse box and make sure you know where all the little wires are running and what they are doing once they get there. It could save you a major headache and costly repair. Sorry VW, had to say it.
72Cutlass442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #11
Vaspier
CF Newbie

I'm sorta back! Man, I've been gone for a long time. Anyway, just wanted to say that i fixed the voltage problem with the Dart. Turns out it was indeed the Voltage Regulator, got a new one from Part Source last week and vroom, no more flickering.

Embrace the Dart.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:39 PM   #12
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorta back! Man, I've been gone for a long time. Anyway, just wanted to say that i fixed the voltage problem with the Dart. Turns out it was indeed the Voltage Regulator, got a new one from Part Source last week and vroom, no more flickering.
I was thinking that the whole time I was reading this thread knowing the hobo was probably wrong this time. Took you awhile to get it fixed eh? What's in your Dart?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:23 AM   #13
Vaspier
CF Newbie

Well, it was just a 20 dollar part, just didnt really care about getting it till now for some reason. If youre asking whats in my dart as in engine, its just a old 318 from a... diplomat i think. And that picture is NOT my Dart, its my dream Dart minus the all red setup, want flat black top and flat black hood.

Embrace the Dart.