Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

Need Help with Car Audio

AHHHH.

Im installing my new sub and amp into my car, and i need a wee bit o help. Its a Volfenhag ZX 4712 DVX, 12" and a Hifonics BX1000D mono amp. The instructions for the Amp didn't indicate what was needed, and the sub only came with the sub, thats it. I didn't recieve any wires, so i was wondering based on the following information what wires will i need, and what tools will i need. Also one more question: Its a homemade sealed box from 3/4' particleboard, i need to drill a hole in it so the wires can flow out, now will i have to seal that hole back up, so no air is leaking, or is it ok to have a hole in the box? But i really need to know what im gonna need to hook up that sub/amp/battery/HU thingamajig.

http://www.geocities.com/si_clan_web/scan.pdf

This is the page scanned from the actual instruction booklet.
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem
AHHHH.

Im installing my new sub and amp into my car, and i need a wee bit o help. Its a Volfenhag ZX 4712 DVX, 12" and a Hifonics BX1000D mono amp. The instructions for the Amp didn't indicate what was needed, and the sub only came with the sub, thats it. I didn't recieve any wires, so i was wondering based on the following information what wires will i need, and what tools will i need. Also one more question: Its a homemade sealed box from 3/4' particleboard, i need to drill a hole in it so the wires can flow out, now will i have to seal that hole back up, so no air is leaking, or is it ok to have a hole in the box? But i really need to know what im gonna need to hook up that sub/amp/battery/HU thingamajig.

http://www.geocities.com/si_clan_web/scan.pdf

This is the page scanned from the actual instruction booklet.

Okay, you need an amp wiring kit. I suggest a 4 gauge kit as running it at 2ohms and getting 500rms from it will be fine. You have to wire the DVC sub down to 2 ohms. The way you do this is connect the positive terminal from one side to the other positive terminal and then connect the negative terminal on one side to the other negative terminal on the other side. Then when you wire it to the amp wire one postive terminal to the amp from one side and one negative terminal to the amp from the other side. You will probably also need to separately need to buy seom speaker wire if it doesnt come with the amp kit (either 14 or 16 gauge will work...used to wire the sub to your amop..should only need 5ft max). go to www.ikesound.com .... They have some amp wiring kits. Just make sure you get a kit that's 4gauge (Audiopipe is good enough).

Here's an easy diagram on how to wire the sub down to a 2ohm load.

1a = One + terminal
1b = One - terminal
2a = Other + terminal
2b = Other - terminal

1a 1b 2a 2b

Wire 1a to 2a and 1b to 2b. Then wire 1a to the postive terminal on the amp and 2b to the negative terminal on the amp.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

Alrighty that helped out alot thank you. I didn't know the amp wiring kit would be so expensive tho, bout 70-80 here. I need to know one more thing tho please. When you buy a new set of co-ax speakers , (which i havent YET) how does that work, do you just rip out the old and plug em in... and how do they then connect to the amp?
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem
Alrighty that helped out alot thank you. I didn't know the amp wiring kit would be so expensive tho, bout 70-80 here. I need to know one more thing tho please. When you buy a new set of co-ax speakers , (which i havent YET) how does that work, do you just rip out the old and plug em in... and how do they then connect to the amp?

I got my 4gauge kit (made by eFX) for $40 at my local place. Which wasnt bad at all. Stinger 4gauge kit was $75...so i said F-that. Wires are wires.

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1466

This kit is only $17 + shipping which isnt a bad deal at all. Only thing I see it's missing is a remote turn on lead (which since it includes speaker wire just use some of that for a remote turn on lead). Since it comes with 16gauge wire you dont need to buy extra wire.

Co-ax speakers are the easiest to install. If you are just powering them with a Head Unit then you unscrew the old speakers take off the connecters and boom, they're off. then you connect the new speaker (wire connectors just slide (or crimp) on the connecters for the new speakers then screw them in and you're done. If you connect them to an amp you do the same to install them but have to run them to the output side of the amp. And obviously install the new amp.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote