Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you rate german cars ?
The best reliability to date 2 15.38%
good, reliability 6 46.15%
not bad reliability 4 30.77%
Rubbish reliability 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
carcrazziecarl
CF Newbie

Are german cars the best?

Hi, i really want to know, whay you guys at 'CF' think of German cars. Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi,Volkswagen etc. And are they really the best??
I love german cars and it seems the germans can make a good, strong, reliable, and quality car.
But are they the best? They do have there problems though. Mercedes still suffer from pretty crap build quality and the interior has a real cheap feeling. BMW are GREAT, and dont seem to have any problems but at the momment some of them are not appealing because of the design (which dont appeal to many people) such as the 1-series.
Audi are also very good, reliable and the interior and build quality is very good. (Seems to be the best, and they always get it right)
And Volkswagen who also sell, good quality cars.
But are they the best? In many reviews i have read German cars come in high for reliability and overall quality.
But so do the japenese. Who seem to be the best at making a strong and NEVER STOPPING engine. ???? Please let me know what you think.

Thanksssss
carcrazziecarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazziecarl
Hi, i really want to know, whay you guys at 'CF' think of German cars. Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi,Volkswagen etc. And are they really the best??
I love german cars and it seems the germans can make a good, strong, reliable, and quality car.
But are they the best? They do have there problems though. Mercedes still suffer from pretty crap build quality and the interior has a real cheap feeling. BMW are GREAT, and dont seem to have any problems but at the momment some of them are not appealing because of the design (which dont appeal to many people) such as the 1-series.
Audi are also very good, reliable and the interior and build quality is very good. (Seems to be the best, and they always get it right)
And Volkswagen who also sell, good quality cars.
But are they the best? In many reviews i have read German cars come in high for reliability and overall quality.
But so do the japenese. Who seem to be the best at making a strong and NEVER STOPPING engine. ???? Please let me know what you think.

Thanksssss

The Germans build the best. Lots of people would like to say that a Japanese car is much better built than a German car, but thats bullshit. The Japanese make good cars, but they come no where near what the Germans can do.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

^^I dunno about that...

Their track record is not flawless...nor is any other country's cars for that matter. Judging an entire nationality of cars isn't easy either...each respective company has its own problems and quality issues. They make good cars yes, but buying a German car will not necessarily exclude you from experiencing trouble.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
ukcarman
Banned

Japanese > german in my opinion, but german cars are really well built
ukcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
enzo#2
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
The Germans build the best. Lots of people would like to say that a Japanese car is much better built than a German car, but thats bullshit. The Japanese make good cars, but they come no where near what the Germans can do.
i agree.
enzo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:

Depends on what you mean by 'the best'. The best in performance? Value? Reliability? Mileage? Agility? Speed?

Performance = Germany (Porsche)
Value = Japan (Accords, Civics, Camry, Corolla)
Performance Value = Germany/America (Corvette, Mustang, Porsche 911s)
Reliability = Japan (Toyota)
Mileage = Japan (Hybrids and Civic, Corolla)
Agility (acceleration) = America (Corvette, Viper, Mustang)
Speed = Don't really know.....

Japan is incredibly good at what they do, which is make tons of reliable cars that sell for every family.
Germany is incredibly good at what they do, which is make a lot of fast cars for rich families, and a fair amount of cars for the median demographic
America is incredibly good at what they do, Italy is incrdibly good at what they do, and the Uk is incredibly good at what they do.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Im kinda biased...
Old 07-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

Eh...completely wrong.

Honda/Toyota/Nissan rank among the BEST (as well as their luxury brands) in reliability year in and year out (been that way for about two decades now). BMW is one of the better euro brands in terms of reliability as is porsche. But Merecedes Benz, VW, Audi, Jaguar and Land Rover always are dragging their asses in the reliability department.... This all backed by Statistics. Not Opinion.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:04 PM   #9
MvilleKid
CF Newbie

Talking

People say that the optimum sports car would combine Italtian Styling with a German running Gear(Itealdesign Nazca C2).....I take it that German Cars are well Built
Old 07-17-2005, 12:07 AM   #10
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
^^I dunno about that...

Their track record is not flawless...nor is any other country's cars for that matter. Judging an entire nationality of cars isn't easy either...each respective company has its own problems and quality issues. They make good cars yes, but buying a German car will not necessarily exclude you from experiencing trouble.

For the Germans, their problem area seem to be electronics. Same with the Italians (maybe thats because the Italians use German electronics ) But other than that, their engines and transmissions are rock solid.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:11 AM   #11
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Eh...completely wrong.

Honda/Toyota/Nissan rank among the BEST (as well as their luxury brands) in reliability year in and year out (been that way for about two decades now). BMW is one of the better euro brands in terms of reliability as is porsche. But Merecedes Benz, VW, Audi, Jaguar and Land Rover always are dragging their asses in the reliability department.... This all backed by Statistics. Not Opinion.
Jaguar and Land Rover are British.... But Ive had less trouble with German cars than I have with Japanese. Plus the German cars just feel better built.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:22 AM   #12
enzo#2
CF Addict

germany is my second favorite country when it comes to cars. next to italy.
enzo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #13
ed_7702
CF Enthusiast

The Germans do make a lot of cheap cars: Mercedes A-class, Bmw 1 series, Audi A2... I don't know if those cars are better built than Corollas and civics.
ed_7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:30 AM   #14
carcrazziecarl
CF Newbie

The BMW 1 series is not all that cheap.
In the UK, you have to pay alot of money for just the basic model. (16,000) without ANY options and only a 116i (1.6)
But this car is great. except the looks
But the diffirence is , is that with a honda nissan etc, you seem to get ALOT more for your money. On all there cars. But with mercedes, BMW and Audi etc, you have to pay more (in my opinion, GERMAN CARS are the best for quality, luxury etc) and Japense brands like, Honda, Nissan etc are great for people who cant quite afford a 'german brand' so the jappenese cars, are therefore a better bet and with there engines! they will never give up

Brabus EV12 - WORLD RECORD. The worlds Fastest saloon car reached 217.614mph during testing at the Nardo circuit, Italy. The E V12, with the Brabus-developed 6.3-litre bi-turbo engine (640bhp and 757lb ft of torque) can also accelerate 0-60mph in just 4.5 seconds.
carcrazziecarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 02:46 AM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Jaguar and Land Rover are British.... But Ive had less trouble with German cars than I have with Japanese. Plus the German cars just feel better built.

I know Land Rover and JAg are british...just thought I'd throw in two more euro companies (basically the lot of them that we get here are those german brands + Land rover and Jag).

You have what we call "a small sample statisitic" which contributes to the population statistic but doesnt mean it's the same.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote