Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
Lithium
CF Newbie

327, 350, or a 400 (chevy camaro)

Ok well i started this thread in classic cars...then i realized it was in the wrong forum...so im starting over (with a different approach), with hopefully more info.

Currently as some of you may know i have a 1980 z28 camaro, with a 350, that im suspecting has a cracked head or block. Well, i do have another 350 (needs rebuilt) i have a 327 and a 400...all of which need rebuilt. Im looking for a nice powerhouse, without putting a ton of money into it, and not having to adjust something everytime i want to go for a cruise. I am wanting to beat a dodge dart with a 318, as well as a friend of mine that i play paintball with, he owns a 95 or 96 camaro z28, with a 350.

My main concern is this...if i put 600$ into the 400 to get it running, could i put the same ammount in the 350, and get it running just as fast as the 400? Im sure this isnt possible, otherwise people would take the 350 over the 400...but maybe (this is why im posting of course)

If you guys could give me a small description of each engine and its ups/downs, that would be great.

Thanks,

Justin

Forgot to mention, that i do have a 305 that is running great, and im putting in the camaro tommorow morning, since i ripped it out of the caprice.

Last edited by Lithium : 07-22-2005 at 05:49 AM.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie

ok, so your putting a smaller engine in it in hopes of beating a car with a more powerful engine than the engine you already have in it right now, (i assume the other car is more powerful). and then you want to take that one out and put a bigger one back in? so your going to do 2 engine swaps in a relatively short time? why? that doesnt make sense to me. am i getting something wrong here? I dont know too much about the 400, but 350 parts are dirt cheap so likely you would not have a problem making the 350 as powerful as the 400 staying in a budget of $600 but, that is assuming you keep the 400 bone stock.
Pinstriper38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Don't use the 400, Chevy 400's are notorious for blowing up. The cylinder walls are too thin.

I would use the 350. You can never go wrong with 350c.i./350hp. 1:1 ratio. Keep us posted on which engine you end up using. But save yourself a lot of time and money and go with the 350 and sell the 400.

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

It makes sense if he wants/needs something to drive while he works on/rebuilds the better engine. I myself would agree with the 350, they are cheaper to get parts for and there is more variety of parts.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
Lithium
CF Newbie

well ive got great news! I had a co-worker come up to me the other night, and informed me he had a 73 pickup with a 350 in it. He was moving so needed to get rid of the truck. It was a 4x4, 4 barrel, and the engine ran very sweet. Told me 200$ for the entire truck so ill be driving it home tommorow afternoon. maybe i can get pics and show you all...the truck is pretty rusted, but i only want the engine/tranny and the 4x4 stuff. The only thing i dont like about it, is the distributor has points...and i know nothing about them, but other than that...the engine runs rock solid.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote