Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
centurycustom
CF Newbie

Post 1998 buick century custom

I am having a debate with friend of mine that his 1998 buick centry custom doesnt have a v8 northstar engine with 285 horsepower in it. From what i am seen on the net the only place a northstar engine lies in a cadillac, and when i looked up his car all i got was that it has a v6 with 160 horsepower in it. is it possible to fit a v8 in a car that is based on a v6 even? He claims it was bought new with the v8 in it so is it possible that buick made two options for engines that year in that model, one that was a v6 160 hp and one that was a v8 285 hp? all imput would be apreciate. thanx
centurycustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurycustom
I am having a debate with friend of mine that his 1998 buick centry custom doesnt have a v8 northstar engine with 285 horsepower in it. From what i am seen on the net the only place a northstar engine lies in a cadillac, and when i looked up his car all i got was that it has a v6 with 160 horsepower in it. is it possible to fit a v8 in a car that is based on a v6 even? He claims it was bought new with the v8 in it so is it possible that buick made two options for engines that year in that model, one that was a v6 160 hp and one that was a v8 285 hp? all imput would be apreciate. thanx
All, repeat all '98 Buick Centuries left the factory with a 3.1 liter V6 installed. I don't know the hp rating off the top of my head but 160-200 is a good guess.

Is it possible to install a V8 into a car originally equipped with a V6? Of course it is. I think the question you mean to ask is, can you put a Northstar into a '98 Century. The answer to that is, anything is possible but to accomplish that would take a tremendous amount of fabrication. I doubt anyone has done it.

Finally, please have your friend produce some type of documentation (preferably online) to back up his statement. Better yet, why not just open his hood and take a picture.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
centurycustom
CF Newbie

my friend wont take this reply seriously he says that he has no credability so just ot end this argument can someone else give there experinece with cars (background info) and what you know about this topic becasue is is very adimate that the car was bought new from the dealership with a v8 northstar engine with 285 horsepower in it. thank you
centurycustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
my friend wont take this reply seriously he says that he has no credability so just ot end this argument can someone else give there experinece with cars (background info) and what you know about this topic becasue is is very adimate that the car was bought new from the dealership with a v8 northstar engine with 285 horsepower in it. thank you
My qualifications, although much more than ample, are not the issue here. Tell your friend to put up or shut up. Take a digital picture of the car with the hood up, showing the engine, and prove me wrong. The only fly in that ointment is you (he) can't.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast

Quote:

If you go here http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ov...id=288&src=vip it will show you that the only engine option for the Buick Centry for 1998 was a 3.1L V6 160hp
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:01 AM   #6
jtkirk
CF Newbie

3.1 only

Quote:
Hi , I can solve this debate. I work at GM oshawa on the engine line, and can assure you all 98 centuries were equipped with 3.1 litre engines. It was impossible for any other motor to be installed( the only other engine in the plant was the 3.8 litre for the regal, again it could not be switched)
jtkirk is offline   Reply With Quote