Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 03:01 AM   #1
zach3316
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Question mitsubishi question

I wanna know if anyone has bad experiences with mitsubishis. I've heard they are not very good or efficient. The eclipses to be more specific. let me know. -zach
zach3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:29 AM   #2
google.com
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: wilmington NC
Posts: 164
eclipse specs

well zach i been looking for a 95-99 eclipse b/c they are 4 wheel drive, sweet, and you could add perfomence parts to them to make them faster than H3LL
google.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia. WVU stand up
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by google.com
well zach i been looking for a 95-99 eclipse b/c they are 4 wheel drive, sweet, and you could add perfomence parts to them to make them faster than H3LL

Actually they have never made a "4wd" eclipse (there's a difference between awd and 4wd if I'm not mistaken), and not all are AWD, just the GSXs.

Quote:
b/c they are 4 wheel drive, sweet,

Funny, I've never tasted a car. I guess I've been missing out.

I never realized that "H3LL" was fast.
__________________
-Alex

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:51 AM   #4
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia. WVU stand up
Posts: 699
I don't particularly care for mitsubishi, sure I'd take one, but I guess I haven't forgiven mistubishi for putting engines in kamikaze fighters in WWII. A lot (if not all) of their engines are belt driven, which i don't really care for. They need replaced a lot more than chains.

But I would definetly like a vr4. And even a GSX.
__________________
-Alex

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Masuk
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 75
I my self have a '97 GS Eclipse. Before you commit to an Eclipse, look into the other DSM vehicles. There is more to DSM than just the Eclipse, and they are all decent cars. Some can be had for less than others, and some for more. There are a few things you deffinitly want to look into before you commit to a DSM. Make sure you get a 6 Bolt block, because 7 bolt blocks are very proned to crank walk. Now, if you go with the base model, GS, which is N/A, you dont have to worry about 6/7 bolt blocks because it uses the 420a. This is some pretty basic information, for much more indepth information check out some DSM sites and read up before you make a commitment. DSMTuners.com is one of my favorites, but there are plenty. If you have your heart set on an Eclipse, find the model that is right for you.
Masuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Bino
Written Off
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, Oregon, USA
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuk
I my self have a '97 GS Eclipse. Before you commit to an Eclipse, look into the other DSM vehicles. There is more to DSM than just the Eclipse, and they are all decent cars. Some can be had for less than others, and some for more. There are a few things you deffinitly want to look into before you commit to a DSM. Make sure you get a 6 Bolt block, because 7 bolt blocks are very proned to crank walk. Now, if you go with the base model, GS, which is N/A, you dont have to worry about 6/7 bolt blocks because it uses the 420a. This is some pretty basic information, for much more indepth information check out some DSM sites and read up before you make a commitment. DSMTuners.com is one of my favorites, but there are plenty. If you have your heart set on an Eclipse, find the model that is right for you.

The only official DSM vehicle other than the Eclipse is the GVR4 (Galant VR4). You just made it sound like there were a bunch... there's not. Some people will consider the 3KGT VR-4 a DSM... it is not a DSM, it is just AWD and turbocharged and of the same era.

Other than that... good advice and a great reference site. Also check out DSMTalk.com (although you'll get the same information really), though I prefer DSMTuners.com. If you get to the purchasing point, check out the classified section on DSMTuners or http://www.DSMTrader.com.
__________________
Build 'em Light and Wind 'em Tight.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:19 PM   #7
Bino
Written Off
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, Oregon, USA
Posts: 844
As for my 2-bits. I own a '95 GSX. Here's what you need to know (in my opinion). You need to stay on top of the maintenance, that's it. The Eclipse tends to get lumped in with the Corvette in many cases (don't flame until you hear the explanation). Quite frequently people will just barely be able to afford either of these performance oriented vehicles. Therefore they can buy it and insure it, but very frequently they do not have the money to maintain the vehicles properly. Therefore you end up with good performance vehicles that get a bad rep. because of poor maintenance. That's all, I don't classify the Eclipse with the Corvette, they're not even close.

But do stay on top of that timing belt... that can be a real downer if you let that break.
__________________
Build 'em Light and Wind 'em Tight.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
Masuk
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 75
DSM Cars

Bino, DSM models include more than just the Galant. It also includes 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipses, Eagle Talons, and Plymouth Lasers. These are the cars I was referring to when I said other DSMs. All of these cars have the same 3 engine layouts, which is specified by either the 6 or 7 block with the exception of the 420a N/A engines.
Masuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
zach3316
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Question mitsubishi eclipse

so would you reccomend buying a 98-00 eclipse with the hopes that nothing serious goes wrong with it for a 2 to 3 year period. - z
zach3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #10
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Ive never had one good experience with a Mitsubishi. And I dont trust car companies that make food products
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #11
Masuk
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach3316
so would you reccomend buying a 98-00 eclipse with the hopes that nothing serious goes wrong with it for a 2 to 3 year period. - z


Like I said above, there are different virsions of the Eclipse. Are you looking for a turbo or N/A car? This is a big question depending on what you are planning to do with this car. Do you plan on maybe doing a turbo swap or a power build up? Answer these questions for yourself and then pick the model of the Eclipse that best fits you. But for your question, I would look into a Eclipse for your future buy. Just like it was stated above, make sure you keep your eye on the matanance(sp?) The timing belt is a big thing so if you are getting one with about 75-80k miles on it, and you arent sure you can replace it yourself, I would have the seller do it. Other than that, I love my Eclipse, no problems to report so far.
Masuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:48 PM   #12
Bino
Written Off
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, Oregon, USA
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuk
Bino, DSM models include more than just the Galant. It also includes 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipses, Eagle Talons, and Plymouth Lasers. These are the cars I was referring to when I said other DSMs. All of these cars have the same 3 engine layouts, which is specified by either the 6 or 7 block with the exception of the 420a N/A engines.

So, wait a second. You say it encompasses more than the Eclipse, and then you tell me that it also encompasses the Eclipse. Well no shit. It obviously encompasses other vehicles that are identicle to the Eclipse, it doesn't encompass more than the Eclipse and the Galant, because the Laser RS, and the Talon TSI ARE an Eclipse. I guess I just assumed people would be able to piece that together.
__________________
Build 'em Light and Wind 'em Tight.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:16 AM   #13
Bino
Written Off
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, Oregon, USA
Posts: 844
Wow that was defensive... my apologies. You're right, I wasn't specific enough and I shouldn't make assumptions.
__________________
Build 'em Light and Wind 'em Tight.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:02 AM   #14
FordFromHell351
Banned
 
FordFromHell351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
Wow that was defensive... my apologies. You're right, I wasn't specific enough and I shouldn't make assumptions.
That was pretty defensive....
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 AM   #15
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Do I have to say it again?
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.