View Poll Results: What do you prefere?
The newer BMW 'MINI' 5 41.67%
The older AUSTIN 'MINI' 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
carcrazziecarl
CF Newbie

New BMW MINI or the older austin MINI?

People have different views on whats a better car. The new bigger, better quality mini, or the old small 'cute' mini.
I personally like the newer one (because i have always preffered newer cars)
But what do you think? Please vote and give a reason why?!

Brabus EV12 - WORLD RECORD. The worlds Fastest saloon car reached 217.614mph during testing at the Nardo circuit, Italy. The E V12, with the Brabus-developed 6.3-litre bi-turbo engine (640bhp and 757lb ft of torque) can also accelerate 0-60mph in just 4.5 seconds.

Last edited by carcrazziecarl : 07-18-2005 at 05:38 PM.
carcrazziecarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
FordFromHell351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazziecarl
People have different views on whats a better car. The new bigger, better quality mini, or the old small 'cute' mini.
I personally like the newer one (because i have always preffered newer cars)
But what do you think? Please vote and give a reason why?!
I dont know why, but for some reason I like the older Mini better.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
enzo#2
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
I dont know why, but for some reason I like the older Mini better.
me too. i want to drive one so bad. they look like so much fun. they're basically a fast golf cart, and i got most of my driving skills from my dads golf cart.
enzo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
carcrazziecarl
CF Newbie

LOL, god point. I dont like older one myself, but i think its better handing than the newer one?

Brabus EV12 - WORLD RECORD. The worlds Fastest saloon car reached 217.614mph during testing at the Nardo circuit, Italy. The E V12, with the Brabus-developed 6.3-litre bi-turbo engine (640bhp and 757lb ft of torque) can also accelerate 0-60mph in just 4.5 seconds.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
carcrazziecarl
CF Newbie

I personally dont like the shape and the build of the Austin Mini, but i really do like the newer one for appearance

Old 07-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
enzo#2
CF Addict

i wish the new ones were as small as the old ones, but still looked like the new ones.
enzo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #7
fudge
let's fighting love

The original Mini was in production for over 40 years. I highly doubt that BMW will be able to produce their Mini for half that long. Also I doubt that the newer Mini will enjoy the motorsport sucess like the original.

BMW's Mini isn't small, it actually had the same wheelbase as an early Range Rover. Also it's way too overpriced for what was originally an economy, space saving car. They are maybe good cars but in this day and age you'd expect all German cars to have high standards.

The original Mini is still a car with huge potential especially as more powerful engines can be put in(like the Honda VTEC or the Cosworth XE). Even David Vizard wrote a few books on how to tune them up. It's still as popular in rallies and sprints as it were 30 years ago.

The people I see who buy the new Minis are mostly style concious and will ditch it the moment they can afford an Audi TT. That's why I don't like the new Minis personally.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #8
carcrazziecarl
CF Newbie

Good point, same here. Living near London, i see alot of young buisness guys, who (like you said) will just ditch it and get the next 'toy' out. Which will make him look good. And the waiting list for the new minis! And they are holding there value like brick walls (which is not good for a second hand buyer)

Old 07-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
The original Mini was in production for over 40 years. I highly doubt that BMW will be able to produce their Mini for half that long. Also I doubt that the newer Mini will enjoy the motorsport sucess like the original.

Well, let's put that in perspective. The eras are different. The old one was delivered into an era where one car could be entered into a large number of differnt type events.and street cars were successful in major races. Kind of like how a race driver could be a champion of 4-5 different kinds of motorsports then (like Mario Andretti). New cars are necessarily more specialized, like modern race drivers. And, people in general didi't have that television influenced short attention span. Fads took nearly whole decades to come and go, if not longer. Now, if it isn't as new as this minute it's old. So it really doesn't matter HOW good the car is, a new car is just a dated old car within a year or two. It can't be left virtually the same for very long or it gets insulted for being an old dinosaur.

So the New Mini not lasting 40 years like the old one isn't a problem with the car, but with the society it's been born into.

I personally love the new Mini. It's make a much better car day to day than the old ones. I love the original ones, too. Much like I like a lot of old cars. But, the new one is the right car for it's era.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I personally love most older cars and the Mini is one of them. Its styling looks sweet and for some reason the size makes it look good too. Funny how the steering wheel is the same if not bigger then the car tires. I almost bought an older one (1975) for $2,500 and it was even right-hand drive. The new ones look good but i think they are too big to be a 'Mini'.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #11
carcrazziecarl
CF Newbie

Good point And funny enough , the new mini (due september 2006) is going to be bigger and more expensive! Are they ruining the name 'mini' it should be called 'larger'

Old 07-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #12
CAMEL
CF Newbie

FWOOORR

Long live the clubby
hahaha

check the signature
Old 07-19-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
FordFromHell351
Banned

You know, I never really noticed it before, buuut....the engine in he Mini Cooper (the new one) is the same as a Dodge Neon motor.

Those were the pictures of the Minis engine

Heres the Dodge Neons, it was to big to post.

Look at a SOHC engine n a Mini, then loook at the Dodge Neons SOHC engine. Look at a DOHC engine in a Mini, then look at a DOHC engine in a Neon. Theyre the same...
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #14
99integra
CF's Florida boy

I would much rather have the classic 60's minis, there is so much history in those little cars
Old 07-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFromHell351
You know, I never really noticed it before, buuut....the engine in he Mini Cooper (the new one) is the same as a Dodge Neon motor.

Look at a SOHC engine n a Mini, then loook at the Dodge Neons SOHC engine. Look at a DOHC engine in a Mini, then look at a DOHC engine in a Neon. Theyre the same...

the Mini uses a 1.6 liter SOHC version of the original neon 2 liter, but it's different than the 2.4 liter in the later cars (especially the 2.4 liter Turbo in the SRT-4).

None of the Mini's get the DOHC engine, and I'm wondering if that might not be a good upgrade for owners of Minis (the 2 liter DOHC version made 150 N/A hp, only 10 down from the supercharged engine in the Cooper S)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote