Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Smartiepants
CF Newbie

Car Decision

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and so far it looks great, I forsee wasting alot of time that I should be working lurking around here.

A little backround, I am looking at replacing my car, I currently have a 2002 Golf GL, it has been awesome, but now I'm looking for something a little bit quicker. I've been looking around at a bunch of things, but I have a few concerns, first of all, I'm a big guy, leg room isn't my problem but headroom is. I at first was leaning towards a Acura RSX Type S, which I believe is a great car, but when I went to test drive one, I was about 4 inches short on head room, tough luck there. The other concern is reliability, as much as I would love to have a project car, I need something that is gonna start every day and be driveable in the winter, I am from Calgary, in Canada, so we do get a good amount of snow in the winter. I have been looking around, pretty open on what I want, I haven't been a big fan of american cars, nothing against them, I just haven't been a fan of the styling.

Any reccomendations on things, the miata thread has inspired me in that way, and I wanted a 3rd gen RX7, but its not practical. Any pointers on cars, I would prefer something on the newer end, sorta late 90s, but would move back for something perfect.

Oh yeah, the budget bit of things, My budget is about 25000 CAD, which is about 20k USD.

Thanks so much in advance,
Nick
Smartiepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Welcome....it would have been nice to see you introduce yourself in the correct place before posting, but you're polite enough lol.

Have you ever thought about a Volvo, or Saab?

Head room wont be a problem and they are built like tanks, too. You can also get quite a bit of car for your money, too. I'm inclinde to sway towards a Saab overall though. I've never been a big fan personally, but they have a proven reliability record and seem to answer all of your criteria, especially seeing as how you need a car that will sart all year round!...I mean, the Swedes are used to snow etc lol.

I understand it may not be a sports car...but the head room is vast!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Oomba
Banned

Ever thought about the new Eclipse?
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
Smartiepants
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Ever thought about the new Eclipse?

I really have, but I have found that I would want the GT model, and that is beginning to escape my pricerange when things like tax, and freight come into things. I have also heard underwhelming things from magazines like Car and Drive about the fun to drive aspect.

They are pretty heavy cars. But I would drive one, but since I would have to strech the budget to get into one in the first place, I would want something that would be well worth it. But I will be test driving one when I get the chance.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #5
JDM Connection
CF Newbie

Go JDM!!!

http://www.jdmconnection.ca/index.html
JDM Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:05 AM   #6
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM Connection

No ads homo
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #7
Smartiepants
CF Newbie

I don't think I want to drive an RHD car in a LHD environment also. I have done the opposite, LHD in RHD and it was very confusing.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Subaru Impreza WRX will do well in your area. turbo+AWD+boxer
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:55 PM   #9
Vlad
CF Addict

How tall are you exactly? I'm right around 6ft and fit perfectly in my prelude, but my dad is 6'2" and his head hits the roof. Anyways, if you can fit I'd recomment it, I really like mine. Thats the bad thing about being tall/big, you can't fit in a lot of cool cars.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #10
Smartiepants
CF Newbie

I'm about 6'4 and long in the upper body, the subarus are something that I have had a look at, but I haven't been too impressed with the build quality, the inside sort of seems cheap to me.

Right now I am looking at a few older 944s
Old 07-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #11
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Oh shut up, you buy a Subaru for its AWD, power, and handling, you don't not buy a sports car because it has "cheap" interior but hey, whatever floats your boat, and if you got a Porsche, make sure you have a lot of money to spend repairing it