Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 01:59 AM   #1
zach3316
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Question Saab

interested in getting a saab 9-3 or 900 se, 2.0 turbo, only problem is theres 100k miles on them, i know saabs are relilable but with 100k are they worth it. give me your feedback - zach
zach3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:38 AM   #2
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
What year are the ones you're looking at?
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:31 AM   #3
zach3316
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
96 and up
in the 6 - 9 grand price range
zach3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:00 AM   #4
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
For 6-9 grand Im sure you could find a decent car with lower miles, but if you have your heart set on the saab, Im sure you'll be fine. Just make sure you get the car looked at from top to bottom by a saab mechanic.
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach3316
interested in getting a saab 9-3 or 900 se, 2.0 turbo, only problem is theres 100k miles on them, i know saabs are relilable but with 100k are they worth it. give me your feedback - zach
Saab engines are generally bullet proof, as long as the owner can supply a full Service History, you should be fine (obviously check other relevent stuff too though!)
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia. WVU stand up
Posts: 699
Saab engines were way ahead of their time back in the day, my dads saab has a 2.0L DOHC 4Valve per cylinder Turbo engine. Saabs can run 200K miles easy. It's a shame that they don't make many performance parts for them. Otherwise people would be throwin saab 2.0 Turbos in their civics and not B18s . In '86 the 9000s had like 160hp stock, that's a lot for 1986. And not to mention they were 4 door family luxury sedans. I wish GM hadn't bought them .

If you're going to get a saab, get one from before 2001 (I think), because that was when GM bought them and started putting their own motors in them . (Definetly won't run 200k miles.)

I would LOVE a 9-3 Viggen though
__________________
-Alex

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
Saab engines were way ahead of their time back in the day, my dads saab has a 2.0L DOHC 4Valve per cylinder Turbo engine. Saabs can run 200K miles easy. It's a shame that they don't make many performance parts for them. Otherwise people would be throwin saab 2.0 Turbos in their civics and not B18s . In '86 the 9000s had like 160hp stock, that's a lot for 1986. And not to mention they were 4 door family luxury sedans. I wish GM hadn't bought them .

If you're going to get a saab, get one from before 2001 (I think), because that was when GM bought them and started putting their own motors in them . (Definetly won't run 200k miles.)

I would LOVE a 9-3 Viggen though
At the beginning of last year I had a 2.0 900, it wasn't a Turbo but it was a 1982 model with 120,000miles on the clock. There wasn't an oil leak in sight either. She was built like a tank, too!

I dont think it's such a bad thing that GM owns Saab though, they aint all that bad lol
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch
 
TurboLag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia. WVU stand up
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
At the beginning of last year I had a 2.0 900, it wasn't a Turbo but it was a 1982 model with 120,000miles on the clock. There wasn't an oil leak in sight either. She was built like a tank, too!

I dont think it's such a bad thing that GM owns Saab though, they aint all that bad lol

I love GM, but I would take swedish engineering over american engineering anyday

I don't think GM is as dependable as Saab was, I wouldn't trust an unrebuilt chevy motor with 200k+ miles
__________________
-Alex

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:24 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
I love GM, but I would take swedish engineering over american engineering anyday

I don't think GM is as dependable as Saab was, I wouldn't trust an unrebuilt chevy motor with 200k+ miles
LOL...I'm inclined to agree with you there.....I feel the same about British cars (being a Brit)...as you do about US cars (being a Yank)
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.