Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2004, 09:01 AM   #1
Rob553
CF Newbie

Value of "new" old brake pads

Hello,

I know this is too pitiful to even post, but I just need someone's advice on this.
I'm trying to get rid of all my extra stuff by selling it bit-by-bit on the internet.
So, one item is this box of old Beck/Arnley brake pads I bought 16 years ago for my VW. They didn't fit my car, and I moved far away shortly after, so I ended up taking them with me. So, now that I want to sell them, I wanted to find out what car they actually go to, so I e-mailed the company that made them. They reply that the pads are worthless because they are so old, they would wear out quite fast. They said they fit late 60's-early 70's Alfa-romeo, Porshe, BMW, SAAB, and some VW's. Then they said they would like to buy them from me, to put on display in their office, but would not give me a price, they said I have to give them a price. I have no idea what price to give them. If you have a good/fair idea of what I should ask, please tell me.

Thanks for reading. I tried to keep it as short as possible.

Rob
Rob553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob553
Hello,

I know this is too pitiful to even post, but I just need someone's advice on this.
I'm trying to get rid of all my extra stuff by selling it bit-by-bit on the internet.
So, one item is this box of old Beck/Arnley brake pads I bought 16 years ago for my VW. They didn't fit my car, and I moved far away shortly after, so I ended up taking them with me. So, now that I want to sell them, I wanted to find out what car they actually go to, so I e-mailed the company that made them. They reply that the pads are worthless because they are so old, they would wear out quite fast. They said they fit late 60's-early 70's Alfa-romeo, Porshe, BMW, SAAB, and some VW's. Then they said they would like to buy them from me, to put on display in their office, but would not give me a price, they said I have to give them a price. I have no idea what price to give them. If you have a good/fair idea of what I should ask, please tell me.

Thanks for reading. I tried to keep it as short as possible.

Rob
Consider yourself lucky that anyone would give you anything for them. Based on your description they're probably Girling style pads (for a Type III?) which are pretty much growing on trees, so rarity is not a factor. My suggestion... have them send you a set of top-of-the-line pads for whatever car(s) you have right now and pick-up the shipping both ways. That should make everybody happy.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
Car Guy
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Consider yourself lucky that anyone would give you anything for them. Based on your description they're probably Girling style pads (for a Type III?) which are pretty much growing on trees, so rarity is not a factor. My suggestion... have them send you a set of top-of-the-line pads for whatever car(s) you have right now and pick-up the shipping both ways. That should make everybody happy.

I like that idea.
SRT-10
Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
Rob553
CF Newbie

Thanks for the replies. That's probably a good idea, and I might as well try that.
They said they fit VW's types 1 and types 3, but mine was a type 3, and they didn't fit mine.

Rob

Last edited by Rob553 : 02-15-2004 at 04:16 AM. Reason: forgot to answer question
Rob553 is offline   Reply With Quote