Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
outkasted
CF Newbie

Water Pump

Hello. I have searched and searched and asked my friends but to no avail. I am trying to change my water pump but something has been always missing from all manuals that I have consulted. My problem is How do I keep the water pump pully from moving to get the bolts off. My car is a 1996 Buick Regal 3.1 engine.
outkasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Question, did you take the belt off? I'm just asking.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
outkasted
CF Newbie

Yes i did take the belt off
Old 07-27-2005, 04:04 AM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Question 2: Are you referring to the pulley bolts or the waterpump bolts? Sorry again, just trying to get an idea of what exactly you are referring to.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:21 AM   #5
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outkasted
Hello. I have searched and searched and asked my friends but to no avail. I am trying to change my water pump but something has been always missing from all manuals that I have consulted. My problem is How do I keep the water pump pully from moving to get the bolts off. My car is a 1996 Buick Regal 3.1 engine.

wedge a thin, (1/4" or so) square-shafted screwdriver between either two of the bolt heads or one of the bolt heads and the center hub (if it sticks out far enough) and use a wrench to break one loose. don't take the first two out, just back them out a little. once you get two backed out, it's a lot easier to get a screwdriver between them...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
outkasted
CF Newbie

Question 2: Are you referring to the pulley bolts or the waterpump bolts? Sorry again, just trying to get an idea of what exactly you are referring to.

No need to be sorry for asking...I am referring to the pulley bolts
Old 07-28-2005, 02:32 AM   #7
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
wow...... she nails it again, leave the belt on for starters....little 10 mm bolt heads right? if they dont budge with the belt on do the screw driver trick and wedge two bolt heads while you crack one loose then turn and wedge the other two and so-on and so-on. just dont be a newb and wedge anything behind the pulley cuz the warp soooooo easily...
Old 07-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
wow...... she nails it again, leave the belt on for starters....little 10 mm bolt heads right? if they dont budge with the belt on do the screw driver trick and wedge two bolt heads while you crack one loose then turn and wedge the other two and so-on and so-on. just dont be a newb and wedge anything behind the pulley cuz the warp soooooo easily...

on serp belt motors, leaving the belt on never did anything for me. bbtw, make sure you use a SQUARE shafted screwdriver--if you use a round one, you'll end up sticking it thru the heart of the first person to walk through the garage door, b/c a round one won't work and you're gonna be pissed...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote