Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
JLG74
CF Newbie

91 Civic starts, then dies

I have a 1991 Honda Civic LX that decided to crap out on me about a month ago. It began dying while driving, then when we went to start it, it will turn over and quickly die. We replaced the fuel pump and the main relay, but it's doing the same thing. It doesn't rev up or anything, just starts and dies before you can even let go of the key. Could this possibly be a problem with my battery or alternater at this point? I noticed the electric locks seemed sluggish the last time we opened the car up. If anyone has a similar problem they fixed or an idea, please let me know! Email is simplesings@yahoo.com
JLG74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
72firebird
Banned

sounds to me like its an altenator problem. if it were a bad battery it wouldnt start nor crank. since its doing both and dying soon after you start it that means that once the battery cuts off and trys to run the engine off the altenator it cuts out cause the altenator is either one not putting out any amps. or two not putting out enough. but to be on the safe side take it to a shop if your not sure yourself
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 AM   #3
JLG74
CF Newbie

Eeehx-cellant (fingers tented Burns-style). Now, here's the trick question...we live in a small town (ok, a totally podunk place) where you have to bring the alt. to Schuck's yourself. What is the difficulty level in removing it, and how exactly does one go about doing this? I will of course have my burly husband do this for me....
JLG74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I am the self-proclaimed queen of providing online repair manuals....lol.
Autozone has this one online. The link below will take you to instructions and illustrations on removing the alternator. Just make sure you look at the right diagram as this manual includes 1984-1995 models. Good luck.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801414a7.jsp
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote