Is this a good deal or not

1995 Honda Civic LX 4-door 25k original miles completely stock AUTO

$5,000

this would be a nice project car
Old 07-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
fudge
let's fighting love

Awaiting for Oombas smartass comment..

Honestly 5k is a bit too much for that car especially if you're planning on replacing most of the parts.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
6000LE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
Awaiting for Oombas smartass comment..

Honestly 5k is a bit too much for that car especially if you're planning on replacing most of the parts.

im gona offer him 4 grand since thats all i got anyway
but its an LX is it worth modifying or no
its the kinda car that i can keep and show my kids how it "was done in the old days"
lol
low miles will keep me this car for a looooong time
or
WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO?!?!?!?!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
Oomba
Banned

Civics suck, 4 doors are lame, autocraptics are boring. Why do people like Civics?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
fudge
let's fighting love

Reliable, cheap and lots of aftermarket support. Also they are light and handle well. You should try one yourself Oomba, you might be singing a different tune afterwards.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Reliable, cheap and lots of aftermarket support. Also they are light and handle well. You should try one yourself Oomba, you might be singing a different tune afterwards.

My friend has a Civic coupe EX, not sure on the year. Mid 90s i think. I've driven it, and it was incredibly slow. Starting up, its a high pitched horrible sound. It shifts really rough into second gear.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:09 PM   #7
72firebird
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
My friend has a Civic coupe EX, not sure on the year. Mid 90s i think. I've driven it, and it was incredibly slow. Starting up, its a high pitched horrible sound. It shifts really rough into second gear.

well if you new anything about honda transmissions youd know its not a clutch to clutch release. where the clutch just releases and bam theres the next gear (like most domestics and many other companys trannies use) honda went with more of a manual type. the computer has to turn one clutch off and within a thousands of a seccond apply the next clutch for the next gear. kinda almost gives it a manual feel instead of a nice smooth shift. most honda owners either love it or hate it. and yea your friends honda is probably stock. and stock hondas are dogs. i mean 0-60 in like 20 secconds (for a mid 80s accord) . also i mean what did you expect from a 4 cylinder with a very small amount of torque. obviously its not gonna accelerate very fast. but like other cars it has its down sides (which is the stock acceleration) but as someones else said they are fairly light and handle pretty good. and can be fun to drive cause i generaly dont give a **** about my honda so i drive like i stole it. (something which i rarely do to my bird). its just fun cutting the wheel and slidding into parking spaces. around corners the car is very fun. but on straights it can be kinda lame. the point is hondas serve their purpose. there fun, in most cases cheap, and very gas and insurance friendly compared to most cars. its kinda like their the modern day muscle cars (in the sense that muscle cars where originaly cheap cars that you can mod and add parts to make it way faster for a decent price giving you bang for your buck) its just a different generation.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

Oomba, where do you live? Go out to an SCCA event ner you and take a ride in a Street prepared or STS class Civic on teh track. Feel over 1 G of lateral accelleration in a nearly stock car, along with a car that is considerably quicker than you think they are.

Simply try it THEN get back to us.

or even find one of these:

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-28-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

Civic EX's arent supposed to be fast stock... And it sounds like the clutch needs to be replaced.

~Blow your mind~

Old 07-29-2005, 03:35 AM   #10
Nickboxer7
CF Enthusiast

RELIABLE. If you are looking for a car that will last, this is it. I had a buddy with an 88 Civic hatch that had 316,000 miles on it. He raced it with that too. My neighbor also has an Acura with like 220,000 miles on it and it runs fine. I know, Acura is not Civic, but it has a Honda motor in it. Plus, slap a turbo on it and you will be set with power, maybe not as much as like an STI, but you're not racing it are you?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
fudge
let's fighting love

It's funny how you say how crap civics are based on a drive in a base model EX.

There's a huge difference between the EX and this:
Old 07-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #12
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
It's funny how you say how crap civics are based on a drive in a base model EX.

There's a huge difference between the EX and this:

They are Civics. Theyre fuel economy cars. Not racecars. At this point in my life I have no interest in fuel economy.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #13
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
They are Civics. Theyre fuel economy cars. Not racecars. At this point in my life I have no interest in fuel economy.
If you are not interested in them then why the hell do you keep posting in threads about them? And in stock form that might be true. But they are convertable into fast, competitive racers.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
If you are not interested in them then why the hell do you keep posting in threads about them? And in stock form that might be true. But they are convertable into fast, competitive racers.

Anything is. A geo metro can be converted into a fast competitive racecar. Thats not a good argument for them.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #15
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Anything is. A geo metro can be converted into a fast competitive racecar. Thats not a good argument for them.
Exactly. He's doesn't want a stock Civic, he wants to modify it. For under 15k total, he could probably have a very fast, enjoyable little car. So what's your point?