Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2005, 01:40 AM   #1
6000LE
Banned

Dodge Neon Sport??? WTF???

I was offered a car today

1998 Dodge Neon Sport AUTO 80k miles 4-door $2,500

I just cant seem to find a dodge neon Sport anywhere else on automatic?

and what else was included in the sport package for that year if anyone knows please tell me
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:04 AM   #2
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000LE
I was offered a car today

1998 Dodge Neon Sport AUTO 80k miles 4-door $2,500

I just cant seem to find a dodge neon Sport anywhere else on automatic?

and what else was included in the sport package for that year if anyone knows please tell me

from what i know, the sport has all the r/t stuff except for the struts...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:43 AM   #3
6000LE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
from what i know, the sport has all the r/t stuff except for the struts...
I have no idea what the R/T has either
Old 07-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
dodger65

Quote:
I have no idea what the R/T has either

mostly alloy wheels, dohc motor, etc. you'd probably have to look it all up. i bought my ex-wife a 99 sport new, and it was a fun little car. i looked your car up on kbb.com, and it looks like you're getting a pretty good deal...

Old 07-29-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
6000LE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
mostly alloy wheels, dohc motor, etc. you'd probably have to look it all up. i bought my ex-wife a 99 sport new, and it was a fun little car. i looked your car up on kbb.com, and it looks like you're getting a pretty good deal...

ok all i wanted was the DOHC
that tihng has 150 horsepower and 133 torque
lol
i can go and beat my friedns in their civics, altimas, and bikes
but 150 aint bad for a dodge neon
i think the cars are strongly underrated
Old 07-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

^^ They are. They are good little cars, easily moddable. The only problem with that one is the automatic. I would keep it in consideration though.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #7
Bino
Written Off

They are NOT good cars. I lived with a guy for two years that owned a '98 (as I recall) Neon R/T, that thing was a total POS. He bought it with 60K miles and I could just about set my watch by how often we were taking it to the dealership. Every two weeks it would need something. Shift linkage, motor mounts, new bearing in transaxle, new transaxle, ball joints, suspension bushings... it was a long list. That car was in great shape when purchased (from some old guy). I saw how he drove it... and he drove it no harder than I drive any of my vehicles. Total low quality throw-away car.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
dodger65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
They are NOT good cars. I lived with a guy for two years that owned a '98 (as I recall) Neon R/T, that thing was a total POS. He bought it with 60K miles and I could just about set my watch by how often we were taking it to the dealership. Every two weeks it would need something. Shift linkage, motor mounts, new bearing in transaxle, new transaxle, ball joints, suspension bushings... it was a long list. That car was in great shape when purchased (from some old guy). I saw how he drove it... and he drove it no harder than I drive any of my vehicles. Total low quality throw-away car.

i think it differs by the individual car, personally. my friend's mom had a '95 sohc, and had nothing but trouble w/ it. my ex-wife still has that '99 and has had no problems yet (much to my chagrin)

Old 07-29-2005, 10:43 PM   #9
dodger65

Quote:
ok all i wanted was the DOHC

look for the hood bulge...

Old 07-31-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
DodgeThis
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino

Some of the things you listed wrong with your friend's neon are just maintenance and are bound to go bad at some point, I've had some of these things replaced but I don't call it "breaking & fixing" my car. Most things wear out at some point, I know guys with 200k+ on their neons and going but they take care of the car and do maintenance when required. All cars have lemons but I personally think the neons are pretty good cars and can take a beating.

If you get the automatic and want a 5spd, it's not that hard to swap out the tranny.
DodgeThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #11
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
well in my experiance which is little, i have found neons can go both way's ive seen 96 era neons that were in the shop every week for all kinds of stuff, rear main seal leaks, horrible wiring, etc etc, but i would say they are still good cars if you maintain em and plan for at least a thousand bucks a year on maintenace, that doesn't include gas,insurance or regular oil changes, other than that parts are fairly cheap and is maintained properly those cars will outlast thier throw away deadline which is probably about 200,000kms, you really gotta understand they dont make cars like they used to, they arent meant to go 500,000km's like the old galaxies or fairlanes or f250 trucks these days youll be lucky to get 500,000kmss out of anything!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #12
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis
Some of the things you listed wrong with your friend's neon are just maintenance and are bound to go bad at some point, I've had some of these things replaced but I don't call it "breaking & fixing" my car. Most things wear out at some point, I know guys with 200k+ on their neons and going but they take care of the car and do maintenance when required. All cars have lemons but I personally think the neons are pretty good cars and can take a beating.

If you get the automatic and want a 5spd, it's not that hard to swap out the tranny.

I drove the piss out of a Chevy pickup for 165K miles and never had to replace any of that stuff. A 70K mile economy car should require oil changes... yeah that's about it. I've never met a person who owned a Neon who would purchase another one. I mean seriously... new transmission and motor mounts before it reached 75K miles... maintenance items my ass.

On a side note... the R/T was quite fun to drive... minus it breaking all the time.