Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
ASunkissed8
CF Newbie

Weird noise underneath Tahoe

I recently began driving my dad's Chevy Tahoe, and it sounds like there is something metallic hanging underneath the car and banging around when I drive. Both I and our mechanic have looked around briefly, can't see anything that would be making the noise. Any suggestions? It sounds to me like there is a windchime underneath the car. Not seeming to be affecting the driving at all. Thanks!!
ASunkissed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
Jon_K
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASunkissed8
I recently began driving my dad's Chevy Tahoe, and it sounds like there is something metallic hanging underneath the car and banging around when I drive. Both I and our mechanic have looked around briefly, can't see anything that would be making the noise. Any suggestions? It sounds to me like there is a windchime underneath the car. Not seeming to be affecting the driving at all. Thanks!!

I think sounds like this can be attributed to the exuast system. I have a problem like this with my truck, though it only happens once in a while. I've not checked, but I believe the exuast system might have a bracket or something loose which is allowing it to rattle. Have you checked all of the exuast system underneath to see if it can be vibrated? Make sure nothing is loose that would cause rattling.

Needless to say, that stuff is hot, so wait 3-4 hours to let it cool before touching those parts. (The catalytic converter can take even longer to cool! beware!)
Old 08-01-2005, 01:31 AM   #3
ASunkissed8
CF Newbie

Thanks Jon. It actually sounds like it's coming from just behind the right front tire. My dad seems to think that there are some metal shrouds around the spark plug that are making the noise, but it's really loud and it's getting to the point that I'm not wanting to drive it for fear it'll collapse or something lol. I will test the exhaust though after it's cooled down, just in case! Thanks
Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 AM   #4
Jon_K
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASunkissed8
Thanks Jon. It actually sounds like it's coming from just behind the right front tire. My dad seems to think that there are some metal shrouds around the spark plug that are making the noise, but it's really loud and it's getting to the point that I'm not wanting to drive it for fear it'll collapse or something lol. I will test the exhaust though after it's cooled down, just in case! Thanks

Metal shrouds, like, inside the cylinder? Ehh, if that is the case shrapnel clinking around in your cylinder isn't good at all. Hopefully that isn't what he is suggesting.

Yeah, I don't know much about cars, but I had similar concerns with my new truck that I purchased. Certain times when the truck stops at a stoplight, or other location where the truck is kind of stopped on an hill (incline or decline) a weird clanking sound happens. Also happened at a McDonalds drivethrough (and that is fairly level) and also in our driveway (slight incline)

I've written it off as the exaust system because the Haynes manual for my truck says a lot of sounds like that can be attributed to it. A crappy clamp or something else can be the cause. I haven't bothered to check my exaust system yet -- because it can't be that serious if it only happens at certain times. Can't be the break system (my first worries since it happened on inclines and such) because it doesn't happen all the time. It's a weird problem to diagnose, but bleh, I'm way off topic to your original question now.

Hopefully you'll get it fixed, and it won't turn up to be a symptom of a huge underlying problem! ;-)

Last edited by Jon_K : 08-01-2005 at 02:13 AM.
Jon_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
ASunkissed8
CF Newbie

So my dad finally came home and when he drove it he said that it's been making that noise since he bought it. Odd that you mentioned that though, because my old Jeep ALWAYS used to rattle when idling, ESPECIALLY at mcD's.. but it turned out something was broken in the catalytic converter and i didnt bother to get it fixed because the mechanic said it's not a problem, especially here in Oregon where we don't really have pollution tests like California does! And then I traded it in on a different car. So I guess if my dad thinks the problem is okay, that's fine. It's his car, I just warned him of my super bad luck with cars and hope his doesn't break! Thanks