Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
CarEXPERT
Banned

I have a Leaking Valve cover! need help plz!

I took off the valve cover on a 94 integra B18B engine and when I took it off then I reinstall it and start the engine, oil started to squirt out when I accelerate the engine. Do you always have to replace the valve cover gasket when you open the valve cover? I think they started to leak too because I overtorque them because I didnt know how to put it on. Now its leaking and I need some advice to what to do, to buy, and how to intall a new gasket.
Whats more, the nuts dont go on to the fastener anymore because I think I ****ed them up.

Not to mention I broke 2 nuts off of the cover form overtorquing..

Last edited by CarEXPERT : 08-02-2005 at 12:43 AM.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:32 AM   #2
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Why have you posted this so many times???? You should know better than that... you've been here well long enough.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:06 AM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

He posted because its an emergency for him....

The point is:

You have made sure to make a lot of work for yourself by busting that up. I don't wont to give incorrect info, so we will leave this to the resident smart people.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
adamc44
CF Freak

im not familiar with how an integra valve cover is set up, but on my 305s and 350s whevever i remove a valve cover i always put a new rubber gasket, when you took it off the head, it probably cracked. but since you over torqued the bolts, i imagine that they are stripped so you wont be able to tighten the valve cover down at all, so even if your old gasket was still good, it isnt going to matter cause you wont have a good seal. but once you get the nut situation taken care of, get a new gasket and just snug the nuts up dont try and get it super tight cause it will squeeze the gasket and cause it to leak.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:02 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
I took off the valve cover on a 94 integra B18B engine and when I took it off then I reinstall it and start the engine, oil started to squirt out when I accelerate the engine. Do you always have to replace the valve cover gasket when you open the valve cover? I think they started to leak too because I overtorque them because I didnt know how to put it on. Now its leaking and I need some advice to what to do, to buy, and how to intall a new gasket.
Whats more, the nuts dont go on to the fastener anymore because I think I ****ed them up.

Not to mention I broke 2 nuts off of the cover form overtorquing..
It depends.....usually modern valve cover gaskets are made of rubber/plastic, this being the case, it isn't always necessary to replace it every time you remove the cover...Older engines sometimes have cork gaskets, if this is what your one is made of, then chances are it'll need replacing as they tend to fall apart when you remove the valve cover...I'll move this for you, too

Adamc44....any chance you could reduce the size of your signature picture....it's too long lol....if not I'll have to do something with it...eg; Remove it!

By the way, if this one goes like the other one, that was closed by tbaxle....the same wil happen to this one!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 08-02-2005 at 06:05 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
frizzal
CF Newbie

here is the deal guy, you need to get the valve cover back off. get the broken bolts out. then purchase more bolts and a new gasket. along with that it would in your best interest to get a manual for your car. chiltons is my preference, however, there are others. now you will have to inspect the valve cover to make sure you didnt crack it. if its not cracked, install the gasket ( you may not need rtv if it is rubber, if it is made of something else use high temp rtv) and then go through the manual untill you get the torque guide for the bolts on the valve cover. then put your bolts in to that torque so you dont over do it. after all of that you should be good. so good luck and happy fixin.

note: you need a tap and die set and a torque wrench if you dont have one. trust me you will need them all the time.

Last edited by frizzal : 08-02-2005 at 07:35 PM.
frizzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #7
-THR-
CF Newbie

your valve cover gaskets might not need replacement just yet... before spending money, try taking off the valve cover again and clean it off. dirt and other debri can cause uneven contact between the gasket and valve cover. Also, check for bending or dents around the bolt holes on the valve cover, if you put the blots on too tight you not only risk breaking the gasket, but you can also dent the valve cover which would also cause a leak.
-THR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:15 AM   #8
CarEXPERT
Banned

Thanks for eveyones replies... alright so I finnally got that fuked up nut off of the fuked up bolt with a vise grip. Then now I can take off the valve cover. Then I took off the bolt with a long socked. Now I need to get the 1 new bolt and all the nuts cause their all bad. Where can I get the bolt for my car... can I just get it a a auto part store or the dealer?
Also when I put the gasket on, The manual says I need RTV sealant but where can I buy this and how do I apply it because the manual is not that specific.

And one more little thing.. when you take off the intake manifold, you need to get off the fuel rail but can I just take off the fuel lines and dump the fuel or do I need to pull the fuel pump relay out and start the enigne. The thing is I dont have the battery in the car and the distributor now. Thanks
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 AM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Do you ever check your PM's, check them now and i am talking to Carexpert

Last edited by 99integra : 08-04-2005 at 01:41 AM.
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote