Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2005, 03:38 AM   #1
Timsta
CF Newbie

A couple of Car Questions

A couple of car questions, as I said before I am a complete newbie, just about to get a 2002 nissan sentra and i wanna trick it out throughout the next 2 years...

I would really appreciate those who would be williing to explain the significance of these parts, etc. I'm warning you again, lol, i know nothing.

1. What's the whole deal with Turbo?
2. What is a drivetrain?
3. What is the benefit of having a bigger exhaust pipe, and what exactly is the whole exhaust system
4. What, exactly, is the component that makes an engine sound good (not loud and crappy like old cars, but loud and nice like in well tuned cars i guess)

thats it for now... i'm telling you there will be more and more embarassing questions as well Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 03:41 AM   #2
93ranger
Banned

1. A turbo is something that sucks in a lot of air (in laymens terms) and creates a lot of power

2. Depends on the drivetrain

3. A bigger exhaust is good because you let the gases out faster

4. Don't understand the question?
93ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:47 AM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ranger
1. A turbo is something that sucks in a lot of air (in laymens terms) and creates a lot of power

2. Depends on the drivetrain

3. A bigger exhaust is good because you let the gases out faster

4. Don't understand the question?
By number 2. i think she means what parts does the 'drivertrain' consist of? And number 4. would have a varying opinion, cause some might argue that they like the sound of the old V8's (as i do) and some like the the 'hum' or 'buzz' lol of the newer i4's.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:48 AM   #4
adamc44
CF Freak

1. not totally sure on the turbo, but i beleive it forces more cool air into the intake which makes it fire better. not totally sure though.
2 drivetrain is your engine and transmission.
3 the bigger exhuast pipe allows more gases to flow more freely, allowing for more horsepower. headers are bolted to where the stock manifolds used to go. on a v8 there are 4 port holes for the exhaust on each side of the block. each hole will have its own pipe that leads to the main exhaust pipe so as each cylinder fires, it forces that exhaust out and down to the main exhaust pipe.
4 cam i believe.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

1. and 3. Cars have more power if they can get more air and fuel into and out of the engine. A turbo is basically a fan that forces more air into the engine. Bigger exhaust makes it easier to get air out of the engine faster. It's not quite that simple (it won't be 100% best by just cutting the whole pipe off, but you get the idea).

2. Drivetrain is what gets the power from the engine to the wheels. In most cars this consists of: gearbox, clutch, drive shaft, differential, axles etc etc.
In bikes and some small race-cars etc this could include a chain.

4. The first thing that will alter the sound of the engine is the exhaust.

3. The exhaust system basically has (varies): Manifold (bunch of pipes that take gas out of cylinders), catalytic converter, some pipework, muffler, tail pipe.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:04 AM   #6
Timsta
CF Newbie

wow you guys are awesome, within 15 minutes i already have so many responses, thanks alot

Note: i'm a he, not a she, lol

Sweet looks like i have a whole thread to myself... might as well ask a few more questions

What are typical upgrades that people looking more to show off their car (not racing or anything, could be made faster but priority is making it look faster)?

My friend has a manual saab and configured it to make this *GUSHHHHH* sound when he shifts gears, its sounds amazing... my car is automatic so is this possible..? for future reference even if its not, what are the parts he adjusted or added to make this happen?

Last edited by Timsta : 08-02-2005 at 05:14 AM.
Timsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsta
wow you guys are awesome, within 15 minutes i already have so many responses, thanks alot

well, we do what we can

It's just good to see someone else keen to learn.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
93ranger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsta

Sweet looks like i have a whole thread to myself... might as well ask a few more questions

What are typical upgrades that people looking more to show off their car (not racing or anything, could be made faster but priority is making it look faster)?

My friend has a manual saab and configured it to make this *GUSHHHHH* sound when he shifts gears, its sounds amazing... my car is automatic so is this possible..? for future reference even if its not, what are the parts he adjusted or added to make this happen?

It is prolly the blow off valve if it is the turbo charged one, or he has a racing clutch
93ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:00 AM   #9
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

read through this thread. it's got a lot of rubbish in it, but i think it tells you what a blow-off valve does (somewhere in there)

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...3&page=1&pp=15

[edit]: but basically: you know how we said that the turbo forces more air into the engine? well this obviously increases the pressure in there. you don't necessarily want this high pressure in there when you take your foot off the accelerator (eg during a gear change), so the blow off valve (or bov) releases some of the pressure.

Last edited by windsonian : 08-03-2005 at 06:02 AM.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

No simple answers to your question, but as a quick guide so you can talk shop at the local:

1. What's the whole deal with Turbo?

Turbocharger is powered by exhaust gas to suck then blow air into the engine. The air is compressed so is more dense, thus more gas molecules, thus more oxygen. Oxygen + Fuel = more released energy when it burns = greater mean effective pressure on the pistons, etc = more power.

2. What is a drivetrain?

Everything between the engine and the wheels

3. What is the benefit of having a bigger exhaust pipe, and what exactly is the whole exhaust system

Less residual exhaust gas left in the cylinders, lower impedance to air/fuel flow, provides better figures at higher revs at the expense of the low to midrange performance. Starts at the exhaust valve and ends at the muffler/resonator/backbox tip

4. What, exactly, is the component that makes an engine sound good (not loud and crappy like old cars, but loud and nice like in well tuned cars i guess)

High compression, good resonator, long duration cam, larger exhaust pipes, unbaffled intake, less baffled muffler, headers/extractors, over fueling, etc.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #11
Timsta
CF Newbie

thank you, so well put haha

makes sense, so this can also be used with auto, correct?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #12
Oomba
Banned

Oh god...fighting urge..to...criticize...aaaah
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomba
Oh god...fighting urge..to...criticize...aaaah

That's a first.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #14
Timsta
CF Newbie

ChrisY... see you live in Maryland... me too, do you live in the greater dc metro area because if so you must/should go check out rockville on a saturday night. It's crazy.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #15
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
ChrisY... see you live in Maryland... me too, do you live in the greater dc metro area because if so you must/should go check out rockville on a saturday night. It's crazy.

If his wife lets him
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote