72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #34
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Gotcha

What are your thoughts on screamers?

I got a little off topic question on tools.
With a combination wrench,(one with open end and box end), which one do you use to loosen a fasener and which one do you use to tightning? Im asking how would you know which one to use. I like using the open end one because you can incline it and keep spinning it. With the box end one, you have to take it off and put it back on to keep spinning it.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #35
72firebird
Banned

it depends on a couple of things, like how tight is the bolt, how easy is it to get to the bolt, and other things like that. if its a really tight bolt ud want to use the box end to break it cause it has a stronger grip. but if its hard to get to its hard to get the box end on the head of the bult/nut so its better to use the open end. basicly it just comes down to stuff like that. for easy to get to not over torqued bolts either one will work fine
Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #36
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72firebird
it depends on a couple of things, like how tight is the bolt, how easy is it to get to the bolt, and other things like that. if its a really tight bolt ud want to use the box end to break it cause it has a stronger grip. but if its hard to get to its hard to get the box end on the head of the bult/nut so its better to use the open end. basicly it just comes down to stuff like that. for easy to get to not over torqued bolts either one will work fine

Thanks.. but when you could use a ratchet and extenstion, you should use the ratchet because its much faster right? Can you tell me how you use a ratchet to open a nut/bolt fastest. For me, I always use an extension so I can spin the handle 360 degrees without hitting anything.
Oh.. and can you use an inch socket/wrench with a metric bolt/nut? I think metric is better but the inch and metric are not the same size right?

Last edited by CarEXPERT : 08-11-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #37
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
im not familiar with the term screamers. unless your talking about 2 year olds

Well there you go, you will learn something new for the day when you find out. Don't let anyone say that Car Forums doesn't have any content.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #38
72firebird
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Thanks.. but when you could use a ratchet and extenstion, you should use the ratchet because its much faster right? Can you tell me how you use a ratchet to open a nut/bolt fastest. For me, I always use an extension so I can spin the handle 360 degrees without hitting anything.

well air ratchets are even faster than ratchets. but you cant always get a ratchet or air ratchet to fit. sometimes the bolts at an angle with something blocking it. and i wouldnt use a swivel cause theyre frustrating. so thats why we still have hand tools. the fastest ways dont always work. so dont be afraid to grab an open or box end when you need to
Old 08-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #39
72firebird
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well there you go, you will learn something new for the day when you find out. Don't let anyone say that Car Forums doesn't have any content.

coming in here everyday your bound to learn atleast one thing everyday. which is cool cause theres alot of smart people in here that likes cars as much as i do even if theye arent the same type. i seem to learn alot about imports in here though, mainly cause the muscle car forums arent alive to often and that i already know alot about them. but i seem to learn something new about imports and cars in general every day. with that said. you wanna explain screamers to me now?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #40
CarEXPERT
Banned

Thanks.. cuz im just learning how to take apart stuff fast and put it back together.
Alright, so like what is the rule of taking off and torquing something back on, like somethimes you have to do it criss cross when your putting on the cylinder head bolts.
Can you just finger tightning all the bolts on and then torque it down any way or do you have to do it some kind of sequence for it to work. I need to know the rule and some tips so I dont **** it.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #41
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Holy crap, where the hell have you been this whole time?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:36 PM   #42
72firebird
Banned

different things call for different specs. like for rims. theres like 6 different bolt tightening sequences you can follow. the main reason to do a sequence and not just go aroung in a continuse circal is to put more even pressure on the object your bolting down as your tightening it. which helps prevent warping and many other things and helps get a better seal when seals are used
Old 08-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #43
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
different things call for different specs. like for rims. theres like 6 different bolt tightening sequences you can follow. the main reason to do a sequence and not just go aroung in a continuse circal is to put more even pressure on the object your bolting down as your tightening it. which helps prevent warping and many other things and helps get a better seal when seals are used

Right. But when you taking off the lug nuts on the wheel, do you also have to lossen it crisscross and can you take the nut off all the way and go to the next one or do you just loosen it a little and then come back again.

Like when your taking off the cylinder head bolts, can you loosen the first one in sequence and take it off or should you leave it on and go to the next one and then go back to it?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #44
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Oh.. and can you use an inch socket/wrench with a metric bolt/nut? I think metric is better but the inch and metric are not the same size right?

If you don't have a rattle gun, try using a speed brace.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #45
72firebird
Banned

with wheels leave the first nut you loosen up on, take of the rest then go back and hit the other one you left. so that way when your loosing the last bolt theres still a bolt in to prevent it from sliping into a wierd angle. like top of the tire towards the engine bottom towards you. and for things where they could fall or slide of its always safe to leave the first bolt in but have it finger tight you know. also where in the bay area do you live. i work in sac and live between the bay area and sac