Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
Guns_10
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 70
350z vs. fd

im looking to buy a new car.. and i cannot decide between a 94 rx-7 t/t or an 04 350z.. i love the look of the 7, and the rotarty seems to be quite perful, but i read everyware how hard they are to take care of and how they suck up your money fast with problems. i dont like the 350z style as much, but its a 6cyl, and i here its a nice ride, and also they are the top show car out there rite now ( besides skylines and such )..
and also my brother has a 99 trans am ws6, wich moves real good, almost 180mph.. i want a car that will beat him, i kno ile have to put money into it, but im willing to.. but i dont know which one to go with, the rx7 is very capable of those speeds, but im afraid of the engine blowing.. and i dont know much about how fast i can push the 350z, how fast could i actually make it? plz help if you can, any input will be greatly apreciated.
Guns_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
ferrariman666
CF Newbie
 
ferrariman666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 70
rotary engines arnt that big of a deal and the z is ****ing awsome you should deff get it over the rx the z has 280 horsepower and is a v6 get that
__________________
if you wanna race ill be waitin
ferrariman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
ChevyKid502
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 15
i gotta say the Z too,i dont know much about the Rx-7 but the Z's quarter mile time is pretty quick for stock and if i remember correctly its around like 11.5
ChevyKid502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Rx-7's weren't really created for drag racing or top speed but more of a cornering machine.

Not really a fan of the 350z in the looks department but they have a good engine. For me the rx-7 looks hot, so I guess that's my decision.

So that's Rx-7: 1 350z: 2
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyKid502
i gotta say the Z too,i dont know much about the Rx-7 but the Z's quarter mile time is pretty quick for stock and if i remember correctly its around like 11.5

11.5 for a standard V6, I don't think so.
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
HyundaGuy
Relicensed n ready 2 race
 
HyundaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyKid502
i gotta say the Z too,i dont know much about the Rx-7 but the Z's quarter mile time is pretty quick for stock and if i remember correctly its around like 11.5

that's like saying that a stock r34 gt-r is capable of 205mph.
__________________



If i still owned an excel.. It'd look like this:

HyundaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire
 
GreekWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "Down-under"
Posts: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyundaGuy
that's like saying that a stock r34 gt-r is capable of 205mph.

Or an AE86 going from 0-100km/h in 3 seconds........
__________________

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast
 
VG30DE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 233
The Z CAN be turbocharged or supercharged for a large increase in power. The rotor already is and makes less power than the N/A VQ35 in the Z. There is definitely a good aftermarket for both cars. 10 years difference in the cars means maintenence will be an issue in the Mazda way before the Nissan, even though I think both are excellent cars. Looks are personal and expect both 1/4 mile times to be probably somewhere in the 14's not 11's. I'm sure the Z has gas mileage to boot by riding the low end torque that rotors don't have/need. FD's are sexy and rare for sure but do your homework and read up and make your own educated descision.
VG30DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:10 PM   #9
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
I would take the RX-7....But I don't know if you should. The rotary requires A LOT of time, care, love, passion and $$$$ to run at its best at all times. The Z will be a much more user friendly drive.

Then the price factor comes in:

1994 RX-7: $13,350-$15,150
2005 350z: $30,950
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #10
72firebird
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 437
rotary engines arent that bad. my friend kurt has worked for mazda for like 15 years. and he uses rotary engines in everything damn near. i mean at first its confusing on how it works. but i think rotarys are a pretty good engine. especialy since you can stack em.
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #11
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns_10
im looking to buy a new car.. and i cannot decide between a 94 rx-7 t/t or an 04 350z.. i love the look of the 7, and the rotarty seems to be quite perful, but i read everyware how hard they are to take care of and how they suck up your money fast with problems. i dont like the 350z style as much, but its a 6cyl, and i here its a nice ride, and also they are the top show car out there rite now ( besides skylines and such )..
and also my brother has a 99 trans am ws6, wich moves real good, almost 180mph.. i want a car that will beat him, i kno ile have to put money into it, but im willing to.. but i dont know which one to go with, the rx7 is very capable of those speeds, but im afraid of the engine blowing.. and i dont know much about how fast i can push the 350z, how fast could i actually make it? plz help if you can, any input will be greatly apreciated.

How come you have such a large price difference? The 350Z will run you in the low-mid $20k used while a FD runs in the mid $15k range.

A Z32 300ZXTT, or 2g 3000GT VR4 are in the same price league.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #12
black_plague
CF Enthusiast
 
black_plague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lakehurst,NJ...unfortunately
Posts: 182
i would go with the fd over the 350z....there might be a little more maintenance but its worth....and the 350z only runs like a 14.3 or something like that definitely not an 11...
__________________
sucksquishbangblow
black_plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:21 AM   #13
Guns_10
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 70
my dad is a mechanic, and we can get sevral wrecked z's for about 9 grand, put 4 or so in to fix it, the z and the fd are about the same price for me.
and also i have not mentiond that im looking for a daily driver car, not just a weekend fun car. so the car has to be somewhat reliable, and i have heard you have to really work with the fd to daily drive it, and im not sure if i want to pore the money into it like that, evan though it is fast as hell and sexy as all hell.. i dont want the engine to blow everytime i bring er to top speed. any input on this?
and the z has a few turbo setups from hks, or greddy that will increase power tremendously, along with some other mods i think i could put it into the 11's range, thats good from its 14's stock time, and everytime i bring it to top speed it should be fine, but it does not look near as good as the 7, and i dont think i can make it as fast..
so basicly im stuck and dont know what to do, plz help still.. also what do you think of the 350z's exterior styling.. ive heard some say its slick, but some say its ugly
Guns_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:31 AM   #14
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
Like I have said many times before, My brother has an FD. Its a nice car. VERY fast, very sexy and definitly a nice car.

If you just daily drive it, it wont be to much of a bitch for you, but if you race it all the time then you might encounter some BS.
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:51 AM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns_10
my dad is a mechanic, and we can get sevral wrecked z's for about 9 grand, put 4 or so in to fix it, the z and the fd are about the same price for me.
and also i have not mentiond that im looking for a daily driver car, not just a weekend fun car. so the car has to be somewhat reliable, and i have heard you have to really work with the fd to daily drive it, and im not sure if i want to pore the money into it like that, evan though it is fast as hell and sexy as all hell.. i dont want the engine to blow everytime i bring er to top speed. any input on this?
and the z has a few turbo setups from hks, or greddy that will increase power tremendously, along with some other mods i think i could put it into the 11's range, thats good from its 14's stock time, and everytime i bring it to top speed it should be fine, but it does not look near as good as the 7, and i dont think i can make it as fast..
so basicly im stuck and dont know what to do, plz help still.. also what do you think of the 350z's exterior styling.. ive heard some say its slick, but some say its ugly

Then in that case, get the 350Z...or if you get the RX-7, look for an LS-1 to drop in it!
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.