Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2005, 06:43 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

I really really want an M3 (seriously this post has a purpose)

Ok, so as you may or may not know, I'm in the market for a car. This won't be no Tempo, Sunbird or 323, as in the past, no this will be the real deal. I've got a good, stable, career directed job, and money to spend. I want power, luxury and finesse.

And I've always wanted a BMW. 3's, 5's, roadsters, I love them all. But like most my age (20)....I'm into the Three. That is, the E36. My searches brought me to a 1998 M3 sedan, two days ago. I test drove it, and I loved it. It was amazing. It was everything I wanted it to be and more. I wanted it bad. And only 93,000 Miles.

And it was only 18 Grand! ($14,000 American). The catch: REBUILT STATUS. The icing on the cake...out of province...make that, out of country (it was imported from the U.S.). So yeah...that was it for that.

At this point I was thinking, ok we'll break even and get a 328IS, or if worse comes to worse, a 325IS. So I looked around some more....and what did I see....

Another M3! Another '98! Another Sedan! Its everything I want. This one is 22 grand ($18,000 american), and it has only 52000 Miles. Now I'm praying to god its not an imported rebuilt death trap.

Now heres the problem. Yes, I can definately afford to finance that. What I'm really worried about is the maintenance. How expensive is it going to be? The cautious side of me tells me to just get a 325IS, and be guilt free. The adventurous side of me tells me that its a bloody M3, who cares if it costs a little more!

FordFromHell, I know you have experience with bimmers, care to enlighten me? ChrisV, you have experience with everything, your input would be greatly appreciated. And of course, our always ecstatic M3 owner, Zalight, anything you have to say would help me greatly. Everyone else, the floor is open.

Please help me decide....

(this is the one)

Last edited by Mathew : 08-03-2005 at 06:46 AM.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Oomba
Banned

Go with what you've dreamed of. Its BMW, theyre reliable
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

I don't really know enough to tell you the pros and cons of each yet, but right now i'd say the M3. I mean would you rather tell people you have an M3 or a 328? And I didn't think ever made a 4-door M3..... It seems like blasphamy but if BMW actually made one......I don't know....

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Go for it.....

Thats about all I can say, If you can afford the payments, you can afford the maintenance. Whatever you do, do NOT use a dealer as your mechanic...Find a good BMW mechanic in your area. When you walk into the dealer, they will simply ask you to remove your pants so they can thoroughly rape you with the price.

You still have that list I told you to use when checking out the vehicle, so use it. Make sure everything is kosher, and if it feels good go for it.

This particular M3 looks like it already has work, I can see from the pic that it has clear corners for sure. What else is done to it? If it was owned by a ham-fisted lead-footed WRC wannabe, then make sure the engine wasn't to abused. If he has simple exterior mods, chances are he just wanted a pretty M3 and would never risk hurting it.

The point is this:

You will LOVE this car, You will never want to get out of it. When I get to work sometimes I will take an extra spin around the block just to enjoy my baby a while longer. Then I get home and obsessivly clean it, vaccum it, wipe off that damn incissent brake dust, etc. When I get off work after having a bad day dealing with retards on the phone all day, I get in my car, take my favorite set of twisties and back roads home, and I arrive with a smile.
Now for the bad stuff.....

You, soon after getting the car, will learn the true meaning of BMW is Breaks My Wallet, and M actually stands for Money.

Everything for this car is expensive, From $350 intakes to $450 intake manifolds, and $900 cat back exhaust systems, and a $1200 AC Schnitzer Strut tower Brace....you will find yourself saving, and saving, and saving in order to upgrade/maintain your baby.

My payments are $598.77 a month, my insurance is $369.09 a month Thats a total of $967.86, plus gas( another $80-90 a month), and other random things like leather protectant, wax, etc. etc....

It works out to about $1100 dollars a month, which is about $37 a day. Seems like a lot on paper, but then I think about it, 37 bucks a day, is about 3 hours of work for me.....My car, to me, is worth FAR more than three hours a day at AOL.

In short, youll love it, it will love you, but it will cost you a lot, but it will be worth what you pay and more.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:51 AM   #5
importluva
Obsessed with imports

^ Nice post. I really respect car enthusiasts such as yourself. Well said
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:58 AM   #6
chloroform
CF Newbie

i love the m3 and i will settle for nothing less as my next car. i have a black 99 lined up! i think 99 was the last year they made m3's before they redesigned everything and increased the weight upto 3415lbs from 3175.
98 is one of the best years for m3s! it has low miles, should run forever. looks to be in good shape, is it private sale? a 325 or 328 will still cost for parts.. not as much as an m3 but bmw parts are expensiv no matter what. you have just as good a chance getting a solid reliable car in the m3 as any other used bmw imo.
anyway get the m3 or you'll always live to regret it!

btw i think 97 and 98 were the only years the 4 door m3 "compact sedan" was made. the curb weight numbers are the same as the 2 door

Last edited by chloroform : 08-04-2005 at 04:08 AM.
chloroform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42 AM   #7
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Alright my friends, I appreciate all of your replies, but I think I found a problem. I just called another M3 for in the low $20k CDN range and have found another rebuild. I think the one I've been looking at is most likely a rebuild too. Anything that isnt a rebuild tends to be in the high $20k's. So that sucks.

Also, if I was to go for a four door sedan M3 (which I love), it would have to be American. I didn't realize that the sedan M3's were not sold in Canada, so that would mean I would forever be using the little speedometer inside the big speedometer. Guess thats not a HUGE deal if I can get a bloody non rebuilt M3 for a good price! Anyway....so thats my predicament.

So...now I'm wondering. If a car was rebuilt, is there any way of checking the history to see how badly it was rebuilt, or to see if it is still worth getting? Because of course, the dealer is going to say "it was proffesionally rebuilt" and "its just as good as a non rebuilt one". But the skeptic in me thinks of frame damage, bad wiring, cheaply rebuilt, etc etc...

So any thoughts on that?

One final thing:

I think I am going to buy a 325is, or if I'm lucky, a cheap 328is. I know this is a BIG step down, but it will probably work better for me. First off, I'll probably save myself 10-15 grand CDN, which lowers my monthly payments by hundreds. This leaves more for maintenance, gas, insurance, and other important bills. Such as rent, and other things I want.

So I know you'll feel bad for me, or possibly mock me, but this is a pretty big decision. Signing my life away to a contract is pretty scary thing at my age. Besides, a 325is is still a step up from my previous three cars. In Five years or so, I'll be making a lot more money, and I'll have a car to trade in for....

...an M3
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #8
mahalaleel
CF Newbie

M3/4's are perfect, and not a blaspheme at all to BMW! My father's is incredible. Has exactly the same performance of the coupe, and it has an interesting look of useful sedan/incredible sports car. As well as easier access to the back seat.

Get the ///M, every time you drive it it's like a therapy session. 37$ a day to have a healthy, rage-free life outside your car.
mahalaleel is offline   Reply With Quote