Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
Warrkatt
CF Newbie

95 Cavalier won't go!

Hello All ~

I was wondering if anyone had insight into my most recent problem with my lovely 95 Chevy Cavalier! It suddenly won't go into gear. I can put the gear shift into drive or reverse, but "no go", even when I hit the gas.

It was really hot one day out here in AZ and the car ran just fine all day. I parked it for a few hours to only return to this new problem.

I am hoping it it isn't the trannie (just yet)! Any ideas of what else it could be and how to go about troubleshooting the problem?

Thanks to all in advance for your help!

Warrkatt
Warrkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrkatt
Hello All ~

I was wondering if anyone had insight into my most recent problem with my lovely 95 Chevy Cavalier! It suddenly won't go into gear. I can put the gear shift into drive or reverse, but "no go", even when I hit the gas.

It was really hot one day out here in AZ and the car ran just fine all day. I parked it for a few hours to only return to this new problem. I am hoping it it isn't the trannie (just yet)! Any ideas of what else it could be and how to go about troubleshooting the problem?

Warrkatt
What sounds does it make? Does the engine sound like it's spinning freely, or straining against something? Any grinding noises, or other sounds?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:14 AM   #3
Warrkatt
CF Newbie

Dan the Honda Man

Thanks for replying Dan the Honda Man!

To answer your question: No grinding or any other unusual sounds. The sounds from the engine and the like all sound normal!

Thanks for your help!!!

Warrkatt
Old 08-05-2005, 03:53 AM   #4
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

No problem dude

So when you try to get the car moving, does the engine sound like it's spinning freely, such as when it's in neutral and being revved? Or does it sound like it's pushing, such as when you hold your foot on the brake and apply throttle?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
adamc44
CF Freak

have you checked the trans fluid level? does it pull any whatsoever? have you checked the linkage to make sure it isnt broken? im just throwin some things out here....

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:50 AM   #6
Warrkatt
CF Newbie

DantheHondaMan and AdamC~

Thanks for your responses.

To answer both of your questions in one feel swoop!

Tranny fluid level is good. Engine spins freely - no pulling or straining.

Dunno how to check the linkeage, so...... (!)

Thanks for your help!

Katt
Old 08-11-2005, 02:59 AM   #7
Mx3Kid
CF Newbie

::cough:: take it to a tranny shop ::cough:: lol just an idea
Mx3Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:14 AM   #8
Warrkatt
CF Newbie

No Thanks about the tranny shop Idea. Last time I did that I was Reallllllyyyyy Sorry!

They dropped all of my fluid out. Then they put the pan to the side and squirted some silver stuff out of a tube (looked like paint?) into it. The guy doing the work wouldn't speak to me or answer questions.

The owner guy emerged and told me I needed a rebuild or a new unit because he said the silver paint stuff was melted metal, as he rubbed it between his bare fingers.

I declined to agree to any work to be done (I wonder why????) and watched them put chunky black fluid back into my car. When I questioned about this, they retorted same quality goes back in as what came out. Of course, my fluid was much clearer and had no chunks in it. Over the next 24 hours, my transmission greatly deteriorated.

I had to go get a flush after that. It ran fine thereafter. For some reason (!) I don't trust tranny shops, or brake shops for that matter.

Thanks for your input!!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 05:18 AM   #9
Mx3Kid
CF Newbie

theres gotta be more than one tranny shop in yer area
Mx3Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:39 AM   #10
Oomba
Banned

Not all shops are like that.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:00 AM   #11
Warrkatt
CF Newbie

All the same - no thanks!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
Oomba
Banned

Okay, so you'd rather venture into fixing the problem when you dont exactly have an idea of what it is, and have no previous experience in dealing with said problem? Right... very intelligent!
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #13
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrkatt
Hello All ~

It was really hot one day out here in AZ and the car ran just fine all day. I parked it for a few hours to only return to this new problem.

I am hoping it it isn't the trannie (just yet)! Any ideas of what else it could be and how to go about troubleshooting the problem?

Warrkatt

heres my thought and i've seen it alot there is a bracket for the shifter linkage/cable on the tranny it rots/rusts out and weakens the cable bends the bracket and the tranny dont shift unless you put it into low(1) becareful if you try cause it may only go into reverse or neutral but shows on the indicater your in low (forward)

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #14
Warrkatt
CF Newbie

Thanks for replying Osborste!

Any thoughts or ideas are helpful! I checked to see if the car would move or shift when I put it in low gear, but where was no effect whatsoever.

I am hearing a bit about a valve that can cause this and has been known to break in high temperatures on this same make/model, but different year. There was a recall on the 2000 for this reason.

Would you or anyone else know what valve this is? How could I check for this?

Thank you for your response!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #15
Warrkatt
CF Newbie

Intelligence

Hmmm Oomba ~

My FATHER and My MECHANIC Both Advised that I troubleshoot the problem on car forums.

Please refrain from further commenting on this thread.

WarrKatt