Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Legion5
CF Enthusiast

How to not crash your new 30k car?

Ok ok I'll admit it, I'm a bad driver, but I'm also a car enthusiast.

I've already totaled a 2003 Lancer, by merging INTO oncomming trafic from a side street.

and had about 5 close calls (depending on what you call close, just some minor scuffs etc) with my 2001 Mercury Sable LS

- Scratched the bumper paint when I took a turn too fast, (small turn), and went off the road, almost into trees and flatened a road sign, just the paint.

- Driven into the wrong lane of an intersection 3 times, and backed out onto where had it been another time there would have been oncomming trafic.

- Hit a concrete center pillar while parking, and slightley bent my licence plate.

- Merged into a VERY fast highway side road, from a near blinde residential side road to that merged with that road, there were no oncomming cars or cars behind me, so I merged, and a guy suddenly showed up being me going 45, I was going like 15 so I switched into the other (thankfully) open lane and out acelerated him.

The LS is very easy to drive and has a very unobstructed view, good engine etc.

Most of the roads here look like This by the way (see picture):

Either that or Highway.

I live right outside Washington DC and it IS a drivers paradise... except for trafic, or if you go West... to the Gheto.

Obviously I'm a teen driver so I suck, and been doing it for a year, so does anyone have some tips so I don't total the ride I really want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68723221_229626200_0.jpg (20.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Legion5 : 08-04-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Legion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

First, and most important tip...

PAY ATTENTION! Most problems are fromlack of paying attention, even if you think you are.

Secondly, learn some basic car control. Go karts are one good way (heading out toward Dulles Airport is an indoor kart track where you can learn positioning skills). Autocross is another (there are autocrosses many weekends out at FedEx Field). You need to work on postional awareness (how far every part of the car is from you), as well as how far you need to steer the wheel to do different turns.

And just walk up to a street corner, and look at oncoming cars, counting how many seconds it takes for them to pas you from different areas, so you can judge speeds better.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
mahalaleel
CF Newbie

if your parents are good drivers, have them drive with you, and tell you what to do. It may piss you off a bit, but what they say will probably be right. Check your blind spots, don't lane violate, try to avoid speeding, and like it was said, be more aware. Don't tailgate either, that's rear-ending waiting to happen.

Mostly just obey laws to avoid an accident, and pay attention to avoid disobeying laws.
mahalaleel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
fudge
let's fighting love

I'm really concerned in how easy it is to pass your driving test in America. I'm suprised you're still alive, bet insurance companies are afraid of you.
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:59 PM   #5
airmanUSN
CF Enthusiast

no offense to any of you guys from virginia, but you have some of the worst drivers up here. i thought Atlanta was bad but ever since i moved up here i've noticed that ya'll can't handel rain,traffic or dusk/sunrise. I'm beginning to dread winter when there's snow and ice

p.s. Legion5 i'm glad your in D.C and i'm in Norfolk j/k
Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports

For the love of god, how did you pass the drivers test? Get your butt to a driving school ASAP and i mean ASAP. Tell the instructor your problems and he/she will sort you out. Out of curiosity, how much are you paying for insurance?

This is a good example of why I stress that young drivers need to go to a driving school regardless.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:58 AM   #7
adamc44
CF Freak

you need to get you a 64-72 chrysler imperial. nearly indestructible. beat and bang all you want, if you can total that car, well you definately need to call a taxi or invest in a bike.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
Legion5
CF Enthusiast

Paying attention is a big thing, as when something is distracting me is when most problems happen, I couldn't even listen to music when I first started.

Each paragraph deals with a post by the way.

Hah, they're business people and out of town often, besides, no way I'm going through their nagging .

In America, driving is a super nessescity, everyone has to do it. Now.

Yeah that's what I get, we're very bad in adverse conditons, I once saw a 10 car pile up outside of my school (all teen drivers) when it was raining heavily.

Actualy I took my drivers test Sans ever having driven a car (well I did a little), I just learn fast.

I took a non required driving school after it. (actualy technicaly 3 schools, once right after my test, once, a few months after, and once after I got some random ticket, they were short classes though, more like Lessons)

I pay 3k a year for insurance. They do need to go to driving school, I drive my car better than probably a lot of people, but everyone in the US REALLY needs to go, I agree.

but this Chrystler Imperial?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...spagenameZWDVW

By the way, congrats on the first post, that was usefull.
Legion5 is offline   Reply With Quote