Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Sorry to have wasted your time.

I don't know why I even give a sh*t about making sure people actually know anything. Maybe I'm just looking for people worthy of respect.

But I concede the point. Forming and holding tightly to closed up opinions that are based on little or no knowledge and experience, is so much more a valuable goal than anything else an automotive enthusiast can aspire to. In fact, the best goal would be to learn and experience the least, but form and hold tight to as many opinions as you can invent.

I won't bother trying to change anyone's mind, or give the benfit of decades of experience, as your opinions are so much more valuable than any actual knowledge might be.

Sorry to waste your valuable time with anything approaching facts.

Oombah, youre right. Changing a car that the gods originally made in any way shape or form other than to make it faster (especially if you can't use any of that speed on the street) is stupid. And making a car faster is only worthwhile if it's already too fast to start with. Art, artistic expresssion, and kinetic sculpture is pointless. Youre lack of creativity and artistic ability, and hatreed of anyone who shows an aptitude for it as it relates to cars is indeed the way of the light.

importluver, youre right, too. When it comes to cars, rotaries were built by the hand of God, himself, and anyone who changes one out for an inferior piston engine is a heathen and should be shot. Just because it costs less to go faster and still work better in the chassis is no excuse for destroying utterly the work of the Lord.

I will strive to follow your shining examples from here on out. And if I happen to give any advice based at all on factual information or real experience, remind me to stop, so I won't offend anyone's tightly held, but unsubstantiated, opinions. Because those are the most bestest things anyone can have.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
relicensed
CF Enthusiast

well I gotta say, the camel has finally broken his back and it took many a straw from what I have witnessed.

Is this forum doomed to lose all actual knowledgeable (obviously not me from my spelling as you can see) members? I arrived here soon after the famous vbhobo disapeered. He seemed to have some facts behind his words from the little I've read, I also arrived around the same time as the infamous "What".
Just from that I'd say your right in your theory chrisv.

I better not stick my nose in too much though for fear of a flaming I can't be bothered with.

Just one thing chris, you must remember that you thought you knew it all when you were a kid!? just have the knowledge (?) that eventually others will realise their limitations. They wont ever admit them! but they will realise them at the very least.
relicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by relicensed
Just one thing chris, you must remember that you thought you knew it all when you were a kid!?

No, actually. My dad was a teacher, and he taught me to listen to people who had experience and knowledge. I wound't go to a car event and start acting like I knew more than the people building or racing the cars there, and I listened to them.

This whole lack of respect for knowledge, and the worship of the almighty opinion is a relatively new phenomenon, brought about by schools going to a kinder, gentler system of teachers being taught to not hurt anyone's feelings by telling them they are wrong.

When was the last time you saw a hack paddle in school for use when a kid was misbehaving?

But that's all beside the point. it's very obviuous that forming opinions based on the slimmest of evidence is the trend of the future. And it's best if that opinion is only backed up by the phrase "I have a right to my opinion." Ignorance is the new intelligensia, and I'm conceding its victory, here and on any board where it is present.

I'm going to just work on my own cars myself, and keep in mind that my car, like anything Chip Foose has done, is in fact stupid (thanks, Oomba, for opening my eyes to the fact that the gratest names in the automotive world are stupid ricers). And in the boards, I will make sure that the most unfounded and ignorant opinions are championed, as that's the goal of the modern automotive enthusiast.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Well hell ChrisV...it sucks that a few ignorant SOBs give you the impression that no one listens...because believe me, there are many of us here who do listen, are here to learn, and are willing to give anything a chance if it has 4 wheels and an engine.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I'm just tired of it. They win. Yay for them. Every forum I know of is being overrun by people just like them, so majority rules. They are right by default. We are not.

I'm not leaving. I'm just going to remember that opinions are worth more than knowledge, and opinions based on nothing are more valuable than opinions based on knowledge.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. It seems like a lot of the newer members here...and even a few old ones...will not concede to a point even when the cold hard facts are punching them in the side of the head. I know I haven't been around that long...and I certainly don't know everything. But what I do know comes mostly from the times when I was wrong, and someone corrected me. Knowledge is power, and the more knowledge you have about something, particularly for us here cars and motorsports...the more enjoyable it is.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

What the hell, i dont blame you Chris cause of how some of these 'know-it-alls' but you can still give factual information (to those who may ask you personally). We are losing alot of members, some that help alot and some not so much and this is almost like losing you. Without you Chris (and a few others) this forum would go to shit and there really would be all 'almighty opinions' going around and no more actual facts. Maybe Bav or Satty can setup sopme more and ban some of these , i think your more valuable then most/all of the people who go against the facts . Hope you dont totally give up helping. I love this place (maybe not quite as much lately) cause i can come here and read some of the problems/solutions.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Iiv'e been accused directly and indirectly of being a know it all one too many times, and that my information is either out of date ('cause times have changed") or invalid due to being based on experience. I mean, if I try to take the time to answer a question factually or based on 30+ years of direct experience and study, someone else might take offense if it contradicts their opinion.

So I'm not going to run the risk of offending those who've held so tightly to their unfounded opinions.

It simply takes so much less mental effort to form quick opinions and hate on that which isn't a favorite that I'll just join it. It'll be nice to not actually have to think for a change.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Hell Chris is the one of the few that I respect on this board, sorry to see you not shoving it in Oombas face
Old 08-05-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well is there not a way you could post your helpful information and ignore anything else said by others? that way your still helping but staying out of any 'wars'. But if you truly feel it'll be better to just sit back and watch the place go under, then i'm sorry these people have made you feel that way, its been helpful and interesting reading your posts Sorry again Chris.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #11
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

i tried a disclaimer in this thread:

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...t=14733&page=3

But if I just put information out there, and make sure not to contradict opinions, how are people to know which to follow? And since opinions are always more important, then am I really doing them any favors by posting facts and experience? I think not.

Isn't one of the things compalined about all the arguing and flame wars? Well, there will be no flame wars if we don't challenge opinions, and let them run rampant. Solves all the problems. No one gets banned, no one feels inferior, and no one feels their opinions are worthless, and isn't that what everyone wants?

A new era of hugs and "good feelings" leaving that pesky old automotive knowledge for losers that haven't gotten with the times.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #12
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Makes me sad to know that you have given up
Old 08-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Given up? Not at all! merely "enlightened." I've been shown the true path by those apparently smarter than us.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-05-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
elchango36
WWJCD

I too recognize your place here at CF. I know I'm just a newbie, but I'm here to learn, and I much rather prefer fact over opinion. I have learned so much in my short time here thanx to all those wise members such as yourself. I just want to let you know Chris you are not alone!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #15
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well i'd much rather tonnes of flame wars if theres actual knowledge being given out. Its you and people like you who actually keep this place going (i know alot would agree). Anyone who doesnt know they should listen to you and not someone like Oomba does not deserve help, its quite obvious when reading whos right and who goes by facts not opinion and if they care to disagree then f*ck them. To be honest i'd rather have 50 opinionated people banned then have 1 helpful person stop helping. If the want for automotive knowledge makes you a loser or whatever so be it, i would fall into that category and i'm proud to say it. I'd rather sit back and read/listen to knowledgeable people rather then spit out my own bullshit opinions. Hope you maybe change your mind.